p1d-ce white flakes?

joshvon

Newly Enlightened
i've been lurking around here for a few months now, but haven't ever posted anything. i got a p1d-ce a while back when they first came out and now a couple months later there seems to be some white chips collecting inside the head of it. one of them is stuck against the lens and one against the reflector. is anyone else having this problem? is there any way i can get these out of there?

Nereus

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!
smile.gif

Could you please post a pic of that? I have modded one P1D-CE and based on what I could see inside the flashlight it is a bit hard for me to figure out where the flakes could come from
thinking.gif

-N

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
wafer particles from cree mount i suppose, just unscrew and blow it out i guess

Enlightened
I had that exact same thing on my L1D but it was on the outside of the lens. I had to use scotch tape to lift it off. It wouldn't just blow off.

joshvon

Newly Enlightened
qip said:
wafer particles from cree mount i suppose, just unscrew and blow it out i guess

is there a good way to unscrew it? i've never done it before.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
nereus would know best but i have a L1dce so maybe it might be the same ...the head is threadlocked glued so with some rubberbands or something to grip the head you just twist...note the head is 2 parts so you have the body & head + bezel

here ya go from nereus https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156336

Nereus

Enlightened
joshvon said:
is there a good way to unscrew it? i've never done it before.
You can find guidance for that e.g. in my thread about modding P1D-CE with Seoul P4 led and McR20s reflector... remember that doing that will surely void the warranty.

Could the flakes be white glue with which the CREE XR-E is attached to the heatsink?
thinking.gif

-N

joshvon

Newly Enlightened
thanks for you guys help. i was able unscrew it with some rubber bands as suggested. the flakes seem to stick in place inside the head. they won't come out by blowing or shaking. so i used a q-tip to get them out. looks much cleaner in there now =)