Easiest to mod 5mm led lights

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two I'd like to name for beginning modders are the Inova Microlight and Eternalight EliteMax with factory "blaster" pack. Both these lights use 5mm leds that are NOT soldered to the circuit board. They have "sockets" that the two led leads fit into, and that's it. Pull the old leds out, trim the new led leads to the appropriate length, and insert.

Photon 2 and clone light leds are also very easy to replace; you'll need to bend and trim the leads, but that's about it.

What other lights have this kind of ease for led replacement? It's a great way to try different led color combos, warm whites, rgbs, etc without buying additional lights. And, as 5mm led technology improves, your light gets a nice facelift.

Rob M

Newly Enlightened
I like the Inova Microlight too, it's just a bit smarter looking than the Photons IMO, the Photons look a bit clunky.

I removed the control chip from my Microlight and installed it in the little brass torch I made, it works really well in there, then shorted out some of the pads where the chip was in the Microlight, it still functions as a press-for-on keyring light. They're very bright for their size and well made too.

Although haveing said that I have never seen a Photon to compare!

Robatman

Newly Enlightened
Total novice when it comes to mods.. in fact never done it!!
i have a cheapie bike light i want to replace the 5mm leds on. where can i get the brightest 5mm leds or would something else work. (its a 2AA)
thanks
Robert