Minimag 2aa LED question

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the best place would be Walmart. They are $22 and some change. I think that NIMH cells are great for this light if I remember correctly the light will turn itself off before any damage is done to the cells so it is impossible to over discharge them.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using www.action-lights.com The MagLED 2AA is $21.60, you pay shipping but maybe not sales tax. The Walmarts around here usually have 5 or so on display ( Long Island, New York)

BUZ

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, I found a guy on ebay that gave me a killer deal!

Would like to know how people like them though!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont own one and have only briefly used one, but going by post here and reading reviews, it seems to be a great light considering the price. Just used it briefly, and was a while ago, so I don't remember the beam in details, but as far as I recall, nothing to complain about. Think even the focus ability was usefull, no donut. The only cons IMHO is the twisty and sudden death(you dont get a warning that the batteries are low).
You can get better bang for the bucklights from dealextreme and kaidomain, but brick and mortar store, the Mag is hard to beat.
Just my 2 öre.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought one, but I use one for about a 2 hour walk in the very dark woods. It has very decent throw but my biggest complaint, as with most stock Mag reflectors, is the spill beam isn't very bright in relation to the hotspot.

Still, for a relatively small light you can pick up in most US cities for ~$20 that uses AA cells, it's a very decent choice.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
Some of them (including mine) tend to flicker on partially depleted alkalines. I haven't had that problem with NiMH, but I haven't used the light that much either. It's a backup/loaner light. Several threads have suggested strategically placed solder blobs to improve contact.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine for "dirty jobs" around the house and in the garden and surely for the price the performance is more than satisfactory. OK there's rings and artifacts in the beam but it gives out a good two hours of good enough light. Besides my U2 is not allowed within a 10' circle around the boiler......:whistle:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
if is should be cheap, just on/off and 2 aa (or similar), I would go to the cheaper Fenix models, or their ripoffs (f.e. at www.dealextreme.com) which are even smaller but better.

WAY brighter than a MM,
WAY shorter (the MM-Leds are unnecesary long imho),
better beam

BGater

Enlightened
I have one, it is a bit longer than normal MM. I replaced the lens with glass. Have used, alks, Lith's and NiMH. All worked fine. Did not look at my watch but a set of NiMH's ran for a good 4 hours im sure. The 2AA version will die without warning and has no moon mode. I pulled a set of batts out that had just died and they tested about 1.0v (each) . For the price its a good bang around lite, I dont worry about dirt and grease. (I always wipe my hand before grabbing my Fenix L1D ce off my belt) I dropped it once and it rolled down 13 concrete steps. It did break my after market glass lens, but the light worked fine. The beam has a nice hot spot, much brighter with more throw than my Arcmania Super MJ drop in. The beam does have the hole and rings when you dial it out to a flood, though.

BUZ

Enlightened
Well I finally got em' yesterday and I gotta say I love it so far, has about the same output as my l2t and it has a really nice tint!

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
BUZ said:
Well I finally got em' yesterday and I gotta say I love it so far, has about the same output as my l2t and it has a really nice tint!

You should check this - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=LedMaxLite :naughty:

despite the yellow corona around the hotspot produce by Edison,
i don't really care - called it whatever urine to some people,
but that led and the driver and the cooper housing is what i'm eyeing :D
I just love Edison for the throw other than Cree.
130lumens with stock reflector :wtf:
i'm :sold:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As far as Brick & Mortar stores go....

1 - Home Depot
2 - Target
3 - Walmart.

(In that order).

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got it, I liked it...now it's just so so to me. I still think it's a little on the big side and prefer the size of the original 2AA MM. I guess if you get it cheap, you can't complain. My vote is for a standard 2AA MM with a the upcoming Terralux SSCP4 drop-in. It'll bring the cost of a 2AA MM to around $30, but worth it if you ask me. You end up with a SUPER bright 2AA MM with excellent runtime along with the "moon mode" people like so much.