• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

GD Converter Max Vin

Galiphrey

Enlightened
The Max Vin is listed as 5.4v. What would happen if I supplied, say, 6v ?? Would it burn up?

The reason for my question: I've got a GD1000 in a 4D mag. NiMH's would be right on the hairy edge of the Max Vin, and I'm just wondering how afraid of Alkalines I should be with this arrangement. The voltage of the Alkalines is likely to sag quite a bit, right? Should I just stick to NiMH to be safe? (yes.)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfotunately I can't answer that question. I do have one for you though. :)

I this your Seoul equipped 4D?

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Nope, it's the old UW0J which the Seoul replaced (in a 2D w/ bFlex). I took the old UW0J out and stuck it in a 4D target-clearance light ($7.xx !!) to give to my dad. :)

Also, I'm worried that the converter might over-discharge NiMH's. And this light may not be used all that often, so Alkalines would be best, if the converter can handle it. I did heat-sink the converter pretty well.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may work and may not work. If it does it will most likely be OK. Process variations of the IC determine the actual voltage breakdown per wafer during fabrication of the IC. Some may be higher than others. There is no way to determine this except to try it.

Irregardless of the outcome if you try it will not be indicative of the next one.

-Wayne

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not saying this is the thing to do but I have a XR-E on a wiz2 520 that I run on a pair of cr123a's on. And it works. Now in the comparison chart it says 6v to the conveter is ok. So I assumed a GD being the successor of the Wizard would also run off 6v. Is this right?

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Well, I measured the voltage sag on brand-new Alkalines with a similar (but greater) load--900mA. They loaded down to 5.38V.

Last edited:

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Since I found <above> that they sag so much, I gathered the nerve to try it---4 brand-new Alkalines with the GD1000. No-load voltage is 6.4V (1.6 per cell), and they sag down to 5.67V (1.42 per cell). Nothing exploded, so I think it's going to work. :)