Bending heatsinks?

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened
I would like to take a pentium heatsink that is about 2"x2" (give or take) and bend it so that it would fit around something round. Specifically, I have an Elektrolumens Little Friend with triple Seouls. I moded it with a bFlex and 14.8v LiIon battery. My goal is to use it as a bike like, but given the heat generation, the LED's life may be short.

I have this old heat sink, or I could buy other, more narrow ones, but I would like to bend it so that it fits well around the body of the Little Friend.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Illum

Flashaholic
look for motor heatsinks on ebay

CPU heatsinks are casted in one way only...so bending them....even just bending the fins will cause it to snap in half.:ohgeez: there are heatsinks made specifically for round cylindrical objects.

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a furnace that can exceed ~500 degrees C? Great! Just stick it in there, and after it's hot, bend it to the shape that you need.

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened
zeeexsixare said:
Do you have a furnace that can exceed ~500 degrees C? Great! Just stick it in there, and after it's hot, bend it to the shape that you need.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think I'll go the pre-bent route.

Thanks

Illum

Flashaholic
zeeexsixare said:

would acetyl or mapp gas torches work?

Illum

Flashaholic
DUQ said:
The sink would melt almost around the time you would be thinking "That should be ready to bend now"

haha....:ohgeez:
I've been using the heat then cool method to take out the thermal pads that doesnt come off with alcohol....heat it using propane than douse with water, the entire thermal pad can then be peeled off. I know what your talking about though...I melted through one before...on the edge....not sure if its considered melting....but the fins started bending inward

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened
TOOCOOL said:

That would be ideal. Now I just need to wait for a response from the seller regarding the inside diameter.

Thanks for finding this.

I really like the red color too.