Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries

Thread: Titanium blade and flint

Default Titanium blade and flint

I know that striking a steel blade against a flint rod would produce sparks.

Is it possible to use a titanium blade or prybaby to strike a flint rod ?

Please advise. Thanks.

Default Re: Titanium blade and flint

Quote Originally Posted by firefly99
    I know that striking a steel blade against a flint rod would produce sparks.

Is it possible to use a titanium blade or prybaby to strike a flint rod ?

Please advise. Thanks.
    Anything hard enough to scrape the rod is sufficient, I heard someone got hold of a tungsten carbide blank and used that instead of the steel blank given. Hope that helps.

P.S. There can't be any round edges, otherwise there'd be nothing (it would be like trying to light a fire with a spoon and swedish firesteel....very hard and futile)
    All started with a streamlight keymate...CPF, NOW LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!...embarking on the journey for a real light...better than surefire ...making pathetic attempt searching for the ultimate aa cough-cree cough cough ion cough

The key is a hard edge, a knife can do it but usually dulls, I use one of the poky implements on my leatherman
    Hobbyist LED information Website
    U2 work light
    Shaky Emergency Light
    The Mags
    engineer in the making

Using a knife blade for shaving Magnesium block and striking the flint rod would dull the edge fast, so I am not very keen to use my existing blade. The broken saw blade that come with the magnesium block usually rust after sometime in storage, which I would dispose of.

So I am wondering about the possiblitiy of using a Titanium prybaby for shaving the Magnesium block and striking the flint. Maybe a little modification to one side of the prybaby such as saw teeth would do the trick.

What do you think ?
    Last edited by firefly99; 03-26-2007 at 01:25 AM.

Shrug Re: Titanium blade and flint

I usually use the back of the blade, there is no need to dull the edge...

With a folder you can keep the knife closed if you are worried about cutting yourself.

Sverre