L0D CE + Chapstick = ???

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q: What does a Fenix L0D and a Chapstick lip balm have in common?
A: The ability to use the same cap.

The cap of Chapstick's "All Natural" lip balm is translucent and fits nicely on the L0D, making it a great diffuser for candle mode. Best part (for me at least) is that it's something I always have in my pocket anyway, so it's a perfect match.

Some of the Chapsticks use an opaque white cap. You'll lose to much light with those. Look for the All Natural version.

r0b0r

Enlightened
I love that carmex shyte.

Can't find any of mine at the moment though :'(

So I'm using chapstick... it's just not the same.

I'm jonesing bad!!!! :p

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
Flashlights are addictive enough. I don't need to add a "Lip Balm Addiction" :laughing:

Lol..... what's funny is that I remember having an addiction for ChapStick back in Jr. High..... somewhere in the late 1960s. Some how I realized what was happening and was able to quit "cold turkey", but my lips were a mess for weeks.

Over the years addictions have come and gone, with the latest being found here on this forum.

BTW.... neat idea using the translucent cover as a diffuser.... I'll keep my eyes open for other types of caps....hmmmmm.... maybe from the top of the Log Cabin maple syryp..... yep...... that's the ticket! :)

Dobbler

Enlightened
Where were you last week when I asked my L0D-CE diffuser question? Hmmm?

:lolsign:

We need pictures!

jlomein

Enlightened
I carry Blistex Complete Moisture...less waxy feel, no shine/gloss, and has a hint of lemon scent.

The cap is opaque blue...

Phredd

Enlightened
Great find! I've been using Bert's Bees which would give a warm orange glow, but I'll look for the natural chapstick.

Phredd

Dobbler

Enlightened
For $1.99 it works OK. I think to get the best diffusion one would need a cap about 2.5-3.5x taller though.

alphazeta

Enlightened
A frosty clear 35mm film container works well for lenses the size of those ELLY type of lights. I've used one of those with a cree elly for the past few nights. Great lantern for late night notebook use. My room is fully illuminated

I have a few caps from glue sticks that should well from lights the size of the 1aa fenix clones. I think the plastic glue stick caps measured about 0.8". I am still waiting for a few lights in that size to be mailed to me so I don't know how that that specific fitting will work yet.

OP, thanks for the chapstick cap tip, I was wondering where to find a cap to fit a 1AAA form factor...

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used the Chapstick Natural cap to smooth the beam for reading aboard a long flight from USA to Japan this week. Kept the L0D on low and it worked great. Really helped diffuse the beam and soften the hotspot. Found reading w/o it to be a little uncomfortable.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great tip, RonM -

I've been using a Chap-Stik cap (natual) on my Fenix E-1 for more than 6 months now, and love it.

Been hoping that the L0D would have the same diameter.

Sounds like i can now upgrade to a AAA Cree.
grinser2.gif

And to EngrPaul -

Very interesting info on Chap-Stick addiction.

Am definitely one of 'em, and never even realized it !

<yikes>

GaryF

Enlightened
Ron

I finally remembered to stroll down the chapstick aisle at Walgreens. What an awesome find! I've been a little jealous of the LiteFlux 2 and the little diffuser that it comes with, but not any more. I'm headed off into the outback for 3 nights, and now I'll have this neat little L0D-CE lantern to use as a tent light.

Thanks for posting your idea / discovery!

:thanks:

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
Aww! You guys take pleasure in emptying my wallet, don't you? Now I'm going to have to get me a L0D-CE and some chapstick. And I don't want to replace my spazzstick! What's that, you ask? Basically, it's chapstick+caffeine. In vanilla toffee or mint. But the vanilla toffee flavour, maybe both, has an opaque blue cap. :awman:

Phredd

Enlightened
I just painted the inside of mine with glow paint. With the light on you can't tell it's painted. With it off, it's a bright green glow - very cool.

Phredd