Metal polish? (Raw NS)

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering if there is a good inexpesive option for making my Raw NS look like new again. Any great ideas would be appreciated.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I have a good supply of 1Z metal polish imported from Germany.
I have actually cleaned heaters that turned black and made them look new again.
I also have cleaned the blueing off of exhaust pipes!!

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
The higher the polish, the more scratches and other marks will stand out.

If you want a nice sheen, consider using 3M 'Scothbrite' pads.
In a lathe these pads are used dry and just like paper.
Doing it by hand will just take a little longer. Very important. Go around not up and down. Hold the pad in one hand and revolve the light in the other just like you would twist a cork back and forth to get it out of a bottle.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anglepoise said:
The higher the polish, the more scratches and other marks will stand out.

I keep it in its plastic tube when not in use so aside from my finger oils changing the finish it is mint

Anglepoise said:
If you want a nice sheen, consider using 3M 'Scothbrite' pads.
In a lathe these pads are used dry and just like paper.
Doing it by hand will just take a little longer. Very important. Go around not up and down. Hold the pad in one hand and revolve the light in the other just like you would twist a cork back and forth to get it out of a bottle.

Great advise I *may* have one already at home if i do i'll give it a shot. Otherwise I am going to hit up Ace for some flitz.

The only reason I posted was that I dont want to get something that might eat the o-ring or scratch the lens, or otherwise harm my precious light. And I assumed there would be others with the same concerns.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
ARGHHH..........................DON`T POLISH IT (Raw NS)

NOOOOO .. i wouldn`t dream of polishing my NS, once it takes on that aged silver patina, to me it looks so much better :) ....... $0.02

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ARGHHH..........................DON`T POLISH IT (Raw NS)

HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
NOOOOO .. i wouldn`t dream of polishing my NS, once it takes on that aged silver patina, to me it looks so much better :) ....... $0.02

For my tastes I would tend to agree. But as a showoff piece having it shine on the surface is as drool inducing as the blaze that comes out of it.

Patriot

Flashaholic
NOOOO!!! I'd never scotchbrite my NS in a million years. You said that it's only changed color and that it's not scratched. Just use a little Flitz if you don't like the patina color. If you scotchbrite the thing it will never be shinny again without a lot of work on a buffing wheel.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
Scotchbrite can be fine or coarse, so be careful if you're not sure what kind you have. It will quickly abrade just about any surface, including very hard knife steel, so don't use it on a smooth surface unless you don't want it to be smooth anymore.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Threre is a HUGE difference between using a metal polish and a scotchbrite pad - HUGE.

Metal polish will shine the existing finish, Scotchbrite will significantly change the finish.

If you want a nice 'brushed' finish - then A scotchbrite pad will do it..

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found Flitz but it wasn't the version that is dispayed on their site, this one said 'For Metal, Plastic and Fiberglass' But it worked very well and the NS is new again. Thanks everyone for the information!