Foxfury Scout
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maglite Solitaire Review

Default Maglite Solitaire Review

Imagine not being able to see your feet in the dark as you climb the stairs of a 100-story skyscraper. You’ve forgotten your favorite EDC light of choice, the lights are out, the emergency power has failed, and you are desperately wishing to see before you trip and fall and roll down the stairs.

Enter the Maglite Solitaire, the revolutionary keychain flashlight with a sleek look and Mag Industry’s legendary reliability. This keychain flashlight uses Krypton gas for almost unheard of output from a single AAA alkaline battery. Today, I will review this light.

Usage
    Turn on the Solitaire with the bezel facing towards you, and you are blinded by the bright light. I’ve never seen an AAA light this powerful, besides the superior Maglite Mini 2AAA. The powerful Krypton bulb is replaceable, and behind the spring in the tailcap, you can find a replacement bulb, a sensational design advancement by Mag Industries. You don’t see a replacement bulb in the tailcap of the Arc-AAA, do you?

Output
    The Solitaire is bright and surprisingly gratifying. Unlike the “benchmark” Arc-AAA, the beam is focusable, and you can even take off the head to put the Solitaire in “candlelight” mode. Take that, Arc Flashlight! The incandescent bulb gives better color rendition than the Arc-AAA, and has none of the strange blotchy blue that could give you a headache. Being able to focus the beam allows the Maglite Solitaire to throw a tight beam of light across a room, unlike the Arc which is too floody and fixed focus for such purposes.

Build
    The Solitaire is manufactured out of high grade aircraft aluminum by a reputable company, whereas Arc is made by some mom & pop shop out of who knows what kind of aluminum. Arcs aren’t even shiny, so they must be some kind of poor grade aluminum. Also, the Maglite comes in a variety of colors, unlike the Arc-AAA which only comes in a boring grey. Someone shot an Arc-AAA out of a shotgun or something, and it failed on impact against a tree. I have not tried it with the Solitaire but I am sure that it would keep on working. Even then, you could replace the bulb, unlike the Arc-AAA where the LED is epoxied inside the reflector. It’s a solid little light.

Conclusion
    I give the Maglite Solitare 5 out of 5 stars, where it beats the Arc-AAA in style, utility, and durability. Couple that with Maglite’s outstanding warranty, and you have a true winner. Make sure to lube the o-rings with KY or something, to ensure a watertight seal.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Default Re: Maglite Solitaire Review

Quote Originally Posted by carrot
    Someone shot an Arc-AAA out of a shotgun or something, and it failed on impact against a tree. I have not tried it with the Solitaire but I am sure that it would keep on working. Even then, you could replace the bulb
    trust me, the bulb will die (miracles excluded), but your probably right that you can just put in another and use it again because of the overly simple design. I wonder about the lens tough.

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

I give the Maglite Solitare 5 out of 5 stars, where it beats the Arc-AAA in style, utility, and durability. Couple that with Maglite’s outstanding warranty, and you have a true winner. Make sure to lube the o-rings with KY or something, to ensure a watertight seal.

April fools!
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Got me till I realized what day it was!

Nice review Carrot. Are you going to start a group buy?

Super Moderator

Wow, Carrot, that sounds like a sensational light. I'll have to get one. I've already got an idea of how to make it even brighter. If you take out the AAA battery and put in a whole bunch of deaf-aid cells in series to fill up the space, you might get about 10 in there which would give you ~15 volts. Then you could put a 625 or some other big-ass bulb on it and see it REALLY scorch things up. Run-time might not be great, but it would be terrific while it lasted.
    Resistance is futile...

Oh no! I threw mine away. If I had realised what a jem it was I would have kept hold of it.

Can you post an update tomorrow Carrot?
    Andrew

Flashaholic*

Just realised what day it is.

I must say, I have been playing with my Maglite Solitaire all day and I'm still impressed! It appears as if it is almost regulated, even! Imagine that!

Flashaholic

I'll give you ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS for that Solitaire!

Solitaire can stand on tail unlike the arc aaa, but my solitaire can hang up side down. It has a rare magnet on it's tail making it far more versatile than my arc aaa. With it's spring battery support, the solitair is also much cleaner than the arc aaa's foam.
    For information about Jarhead aka Newbie's tests go to website: http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/led.htm
    For chatroom for cpf go to: http://coldmonkey.peu.net/chat.php

Flashaholic
    Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburgers eat people. Yep. Canada.

I must say, I have been playing with my Maglite Solitaire all day and I'm still impressed! It appears as if it is almost regulated, even! Imagine that!
    No, it's not regulated, it uses a new revolutionary technology by Mag Instruments! It's so dim, that you can't notice it getting dimmer because your brain thinks it isn't possible!

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran
    No, it's not regulated, it uses a new revolutionary technology by Mag Instruments! It's so dim, that you can't notice it getting dimmer because your brain thinks it isn't possible!

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

The Krypton gas must have leaked out on mine. I have to feel my way up the stairs.
    This keychain flashlight uses Krypton gas for almost unheard of output from a single AAA alkaline battery.

You have to light the Krypton gas with a match to get the "unheard of output" -- you think you're going to get any useful light just by turning on the switch ??
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing...

Whoooaaaaaaa...had me thinkn' what the heck you added to your water!
    -"Must control self"-

Crackup Re: Maglite Solitaire Review

still shocked....

if this wasnt april fools you know what that'll bring to your reputation
    Last edited by Illum; 04-01-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Thinking Re: Maglite Solitaire Review

I post some beamshots from my solitaire. Slightly modded it puts out around 300 lumens. [img]images/icons/thinking.gif[/img]

and uhh. doesn't even get warm after 4 hours of runtime, yeah thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by reltor
    I post some beamshots from my solitaire. Slightly modded it puts out around 300 lumens.
    300 lumens? That's nothing. I'm working on my solitaire/HID combo, working name, Roar of the Pipsqueak. I had to install a bigger head, and the bulb contacts keep arcing between those two little pins, (I want it to be a reversible mod) but I'm working on that. In testing I've got it to run for almost a second at a time before the stock innards melt down!

Here are my beamshots of a Solitaire compared to a 5mm generic LED flashlight. The camera does not have auto-exposure, so it is pretty much like-for-like.

Generic 5mm LED flashlight
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t/DSCS0005.jpg

Solitaire (Spot focus)
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t/DSCS0010.jpg

Solitaire (Flood focus)
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t/DSCS0009.jpg
    Yes, that is a beamshot, not just a blank image. Adjust screen contrast, brightness etc. and you can JUST make out the ring beam with hole.

Oversized images removed
    Last edited by Unforgiven; 04-02-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSalt
    Here are my beamshots of a Solitaire compared to a 5mm generic LED flashlight. The camera does not have auto-exposure, so it is pretty much like-for-like.

Generic 5mm LED flashlight
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t/DSCS0005.jpg

Solitaire (Spot focus)
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t/DSCS0010.jpg

Solitaire (Flood focus)
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t/DSCS0009.jpg
    Yes, that is a beamshot, not just a blank image. Adjust screen contrast, brightness etc. and you can JUST make out the ring beam with hole.
    i can see stars in that last picture (well, alright, in all of them), you sure your not pointing that solitaire up in the air? :P
    (jk, it's probably dead pixels in the camera)

Oversized images removed
    Last edited by Unforgiven; 04-02-2007 at 07:41 PM.

I can see the beam in the last picture, using a Toshiba laptop screen.

Owning one of these exotic wonders, I figured the review was a joke but I didn't connect the April Fools dots until I read down a few posts.

I can't wait to find someone who wants mine.

I must admit, though, that I took mine out of the container I three it in and tried to figure out what size button cell I could stuff in there just to get a lil' output.
    --- Bror Jace

Carrot,

Thank you for this review. I just got back from Target and purchased no less than 5 of the Maglite Solitaires. I was hoping they would be on sale but they were not. Its ok, i was so excited after reading your review i just had to buy 5.

I feel like a true flashaholic with my little collection. Thanks for the review. Keep em coming.

iNDiGLo
    Smeagol: "the Precious..., curse them. We hates them. It's ours it is and we wants it."

may the fleas from a thousand camels, nestle in your crotch!

Quote Originally Posted by iNDiGLo
    Carrot,

Thank you for this review. I just got back from Target and purchased no less than 5 of the Maglite Solitaires. I was hoping they would be on sale but they were not. Its ok, i was so excited after reading your review i just had to buy 5.

I feel like a true flashaholic with my little collection. Thanks for the review. Keep em coming.

iNDiGLo
    Son, You've been had.

somehow I think you are the one who has been had.

Ryan

LOL...great thread carrot, bravo...Whats even more funny is I had no idea it was april fools day until I read this thread...lol...
    - JEFF