Surefire lanyard clip self releases.

bridaw

Newly Enlightened
I have owned the C2-HA a short time and so far the lanyard clip has popped off the lanyard ring three times, once resulting in the light crashing to a tile floor.

My old G2Z lanyard clip is a simple design and the new lanyard with the C2 has a latch that is wider than the rest of the clip. It is a rounded wire loop shape and when the lanyard ring spins around to the pocket clip the latch releases when it rubs the right way. I did not understand how the lanyard clip kept popping off the ring until I sat down and fiddled with it a bit.

Nobody at surefire made sure their lanyard clip doesn't release against the pocket clip? It was the lanyard that came with the light. The pocket clip is too long since the ring isn't on the tailcap. I fiddled around with my old lanyard on the C2. It seems more difficult to pop off and might not under real world conditions like the new clip already has several times. Now I don't like this light. Put me in the "prefers no clip" crowd. I wanted the type III HA finish on a light like my G2Z. It was my first flashlight with a pocket clip and I figured it would not get in the way 99% of the time I didn't need the clip. Darn.

Last edited:

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
Re: C2 lanyard self releases against the pocket clip?

Well, why not simply remove the (pocket) clip? :grin2:
Takes a few seconds only, and is a reversible "mod"... . :)

Last edited:

bridaw

Newly Enlightened

I took off the head and the clip looked like it wanted to come out but no luck. I thought about grabbing tools but didn't want to trash the finish.

I tried again with more ooomph now that I know it can be removed. I put a rubber coaster under the clip to protect the body and whacked the clip a few times.

I still should have got the Z2, I prefer the round body. I'll just have to toss the C2 in the glove box and get another light. ;)

Last edited:

SunStar

Enlightened

Are you using the "lobster clasp" hooked to the o-ring that is affixed to the loop ring around the tail of the light? If you are, eliminate the clasp and affix lanyard directly to o-ring. The pocket clip will no longer present a problem.

I've eliminated the newly designed clasp on all my Surefire lanyards - because the clasp will find a way to release itself with or without a pocket clip - usually sending the light to tile, asphault or concrete. For some reason, it rarely happens on carpet, grass, or other softer surfaces.:ohgeez:

Surefire needs to apply some "cool science" to develop a better clasp for their lanyard. No way I'd use that thing in combat!

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened

You could turn your lanyard clip the other way (hook it starting from the bezel end and sliding to tailcap end) making sure the open end of the clip faces away from the light when standing on the bezel. I had trouble with my pocket clip on my M3 coming off and just played with different ways to hook the lanyard to the ring.

bridaw

Newly Enlightened

Lobster clasp, lol. Yes, that describes this new clip well. Very different from my old clip. They fixed a design that wasn't broken.

I tried hooking the clasp onto the ring from both directions first but it still worked itself off the ring against the pocket clip. The rubber grip ring is flat on the side where the pocket clip is installed. For now the clip is removed but I keep trying to grasp the rubber grip ring where it is flat. I like the suggestion of removing the lanyard clip and attaching the cord directly to the ring. I'll try that with the clip installed again. Gripping the pocket clip by accident when using the grip ring feels better than grabbing that flat side without the clip.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened

I discovered this problem with my first Surfire. the C2. This is a problem I remember from my climbing days with some carabiners. Imagine for a second that it's you dangling from that clip...

They're a nice idea but the clip looks better than it works. I tie my lanyards directly to the ring.

bridaw: Exactly what I did. The C2 went to my Sister and I replaced it with the much more usable Z2.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ditch the lanyard clip, and use the split ring only to attach the lanyard to the lanyard ring. The problem is the lanyard clip itself, not its orientation, or the pocket clip.
What would possess SF to replace the old lanyard clip(which also sucked) with this piece of crap, I don't know.

bridaw

Newly Enlightened

Owen said:
The problem is the lanyard clip itself, not its orientation, or the pocket clip.

I discovered that last night. Right before I removed the clip from the split ring I was twirling the lanyard ring around the light while holding the lanyard in one hand and the light body in the other hand (pocket clip removed). The lanyard clip popped right off the lanyard ring -for the last time. The clip is crap and the title of the first post has been changed. The lobster claw is now in the trash along with the older clip. :) I paid money for that experience. :(

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
As everyone is saying, attach the lanyard directly to the lanyard ring. This photo isn't the best, but it shows what we're talking about:

mountains_005.jpg

bridaw

Newly Enlightened
RAF_Groundcrew said:
If you're not planning to need to remove the lanyard in a hurry.....
DIY_M2.jpg

Stitched into place !

I used the split ring on the C2 to connect the cord and the lanyard ring. On my other light I threaded the lanyard cord direct to the lanyard ring like your photo. I know those crappy clips are a safety feature designed to break away under force (not pop off on their own).... I hope my flashlight doesn't get caught in a machine and suck me in now. ;)

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
I thought I read somewhere that the lanyard rings themselves are designed to pull apart under strain.

You could always attach to the ring using a small soft split ring. That would pull apart in an emergency.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It is a good idea to build in a "breakaway" point into lanyards where the item being retained is less vital to your survival than your own body.

Al

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw., is the lanyard ring supposed to sit tight when the tailcap is fully screwed down or should it be able to rotate?

Eric

brunt_sp

Enlightened
Mine rotate on all my Surefires and Leef bodies that are fitted with Surefire tailcaps. However, I find that when a Leef body is used with a Leef tailcap, the lanyard ring is trapped fully.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you both! I was just wondering how it is supposed to be since I just have one on my L5 and never had the opportunity to see another one of these.

Eric

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've threaded paracord directly through the ring, but you need to remember the safety issue.

I'm sure we all know, but I'll throw it out there just in case, the 550 in "550 Paracord" is the tensile strength of the cord, in pounds, give or take. 550 Paracord doubled over and through a steel ring and tied in a knot WILL NOT RELEASE. The little clasp is a safety device to make sure you lose your light before your arm gets removed or dislocated or your fingers get torn off if the light hangs up on something. A cheap solution is to get a bunch of lifeguard whistle lanyards. I picked up a bunch. The ones with the little spring clasp and wire pivot. The cord is cheaper nylon and it's made to come apart to keep the user from getting injured.

The light in my bag with the 3W G&P module has a Surefire lanyard ring with a lifeguard whistle lanyard on it, mainly in case I want to loop it over my neck for hands-free.