Inova: where is the promised new beef?

pilou

Enlightened
The long ago promised new Luxeon based X1, the alleged pocket rocket T1, and the super nice T2? Where are they? Is Inova just experiencing delays? We can secretly hope that maybe they are doing a "running change" even before their release, such as as maybe using Lumiled's new Rebel? We can always dream, I guess :sigh:

Last edited:

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved this email from Inova today.

I apologize for the delay in my response, I needed to check with our engineers on your request. The newest version of the X1 has begun shipment from Emissive April 1st with a 2 watt LED. Unfortunately the type of LEDs we use is proprietary and we do not divulge that information to end users. This is company policy. The MSRP is $24.99.

Thanks so much,

Katie Cocuzzo

Maybe this helps

pilou

Enlightened
Thanks Chusco! I have a feeling that as soon as a mod-inclined CPFer gets a hold of one of these X1s, we will know what LED it uses :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling as soon as we look down the business end of the X1's we'll know what kind of emitter it is using. I"m not holding my breath on it bing driven at 2W either. But at least it's supposed to be out there in the wild now. Thanks for the info.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambert said:
Quickbeam has an updated review of the X1 with the new LED and reflector. The TIROS system is gone in the new X1. Other than a more usable beamshot, it doesn't look to be that much of an improvement.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x1.htm

Also Inova's website is currently being updated with the new products.

Thats the Ver.2 X1. We're talking about Ver.3.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam has an updated review of the X1 with the new LED and reflector. The TIROS system is gone in the new X1. Other than a more usable beamshot, it doesn't look to be that much of an improvement

This is the 2nd generation X1, the last version. The one coming out now will be the 3rd generation, the second generation with no TIROS.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, a Cree or SSC would be more effecient and most likely run cooler than the K2, but the K2 has now been around for a while and regardless of how hot they run or how effecient they are or are not, they have been accepted by mainstream manufacturers.

I'm pretty sure the new X1 will have the K2. I, for one, am still looking forward to the new X1. It will still probably feature a decent runtime... 5 hours will be fine. 10 hours would be great. Replace it with an SSC and you'll get close to double the brightness with the same runtime and less heat.

pilou

Enlightened
Are Crees ans SSCs really twice as efficient as the K2? I was under the impression that this aplied to the older Luxeons only. I thought the K2 was a decent improvement over the older Luxeons. I am making up these numbers just for illustration, but let's say that if a Cree has an efficiency of 100, the Luxeons are around 50, and the K2 is around 65. Are these numbers at least in the right ballpark?

In any case, even a Luxeon I would have been a good improvement over the 2nd gen X1. A K2, even if driven lightly, would turn it into a very decent light. I am actually looking forward to it.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand it's an issue with some suppliers not having parts done on time.

That said, the new X1's and T1's should be shipping "any day now." T2's and T5's are still 30+ days away.

I'll be getting samples X1, T1 and T2's tomorrow :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I don't know the relative effeciencies of Lux III, K2s and Crees/SSCs. But I'm pretty sure if you replace a K2 with an SSC, it will be noticably brighter and with no penalty in runtime.

Again, regardless of what the X1 has in it, I'll get two.

riffraff

Enlightened
MattK said:
[...]should be shipping "any day now."
We in the computer/electronics biz love our TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) and would translate that to RSN. Real Soon Now. :laughing:

Yeah, pics would be cool! Shiny, even! :popcorn:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics? RSN. :)

Seriously though, I will do my best on pics - I think I get to keep the X1 and T1 but not the T2.

The T1 and T2 definitely have K2's. The X1 has some tiny little emitter (I haven't seen the X1 but the X1, I am told, uses the same emitter as the AAA Bolt) which I'd guess is a Nichia product but I'm not as well versed in some of the more....esoteric emitters.

*must remember camera*

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nichia emitter possibly?... interesting. I haven't heard much from their camp for a bit, but I haven't been listening too hard.
I will be watching for those pics MattK!

clipse

Enlightened
How cool would it be if the new X1 sported the new Luxeon Rebel? :D

Martini

Enlightened
clipse said:
How cool would it be if the new X1 sported the new Luxeon Rebel? :D
That would be interesting, but I think the Rebel is far too new to be implemented in the X1. Besides, it's not really designed for flashlight use anyway. Inova doesn't go for bleeding edge tech, so I imagine it's a K2 (although I'd love to see a Gen X in there).