• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Added Photos! FS: 240 Lumens!! Gordon 3W Seoul Modded Lights (3D and 3C)

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to tkflash1! It was his thread that alerted me to the availability of these lights.

I purchased these lights at Harbor Freight with the intent of seeing if they were worth modifying. One is a 3 x C battery model, the other is the heavy-hitter 3 x D battery model. They originally came with Luxeon III emitters. I was surprised to find that these are actually really great for modifying. They're modular, and each light's star mounts to a decent sized heatsink that threads solidly into the flashlight housing...no problems with heat transer here! These are very similar to the Dorcy models (not sure what the Dorcy versions are called), but have way better heatsinking. I've modified them with SSC P4 U bin stars, SWO color, obtained from PhotonFanatic.

240 lumens estimate is at the emitter, based on SSC's specs. After reflector and lens losses, a guess would be 155-180 real lumens. It's unfortunate that the measuring standard in the industry is typically "emitter" lumens, instead of real "out the front" lumens. This makes it diffucult for everyone to directly compare flashlight specs. But that's a subject for another thread!

The finished lights are pulling around 1050 mA at the start which translates to 240 lumens at the emitter, then gradually taper down in a typical alkaline fashion. Voltage at the LED is showing about 3.5V. The lights are direct drive, with an appropriate resistor added by me to match the emitter. Using NiMH batteries would allow them to maintain near maximum brightness for most of the runtime. I've found that the C battery version using alkalines, even after 2 hours, is still pulling close to 600 mA (about 170 emitter lumens) and it doesn't seem that much dimmer than when it started. The D version after an hour is still pulling 850 mA, should be around 200 emitter lumens still!, and at the 10 hour point, it was still showing 450 mA!...just about as bright as a LumaPower D-Mini even after 10 hours! I think for most people, unless you plan on using the lights for hours at time, the alkalines are the best bet....otherwise use NiMH batteries.

Each light is $45, and the original dry cell batteries that came with the light are included. Shipping via USPS Priority mail within the U.S. for the C version is $5.50. For the D version, it's $8.00 (6-3-07: One D version available, only $49 shipped!)

I really like the beam on these lights. Typical Seoul beam...bright hotspot with a smooth transition into bright spill. I can't see any difference in throw between these and my 3D SSC P4 modified Maglite. The difference is that these do not get dimmer after 10 minutes of operation like the Maglite does.

Here are some pics:

The 3D version
dsc04481at2.jpg

3D again
dsc04480is5.jpg

3C version showing nice heatsink
dsc04484to7.jpg

3C finished
dsc04489qz1.jpg

Sizes compared to 3D Maglite
dsc04496en7.jpg

End shot
dsc04497ww3.jpg

Stock 3D on left (Lux III @ 1500 mA) , SSC modded 3D on right (at 1000 mA). Camera doesn't capture beam color accurately...color is whiter. Lights are tilted, that's why the beams are oblong.
dsc04475fq4.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nebula

Enlightened
Re: FS: Gordon 3W Seoul Modded Lights (3D and 3C)

FC - Nice job. Can you post pics of the front and back side of the screw in HS? Thanks. KK

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've tried posting the pics three times with no luck. I'll try thumbnails....hope this works. The 3D heatsink (on the right in the pics) is really stout. Thick material and fairly heavy. The 3C is thinner and lighter, but definitely more than adequate.

tkflash1

Newly Enlightened

Hey!, Glad i could help. Since you took yours apart, what was the bin on the luxeon led that came with it? I upgraded my Dorcy with a U bin Lux3 and i swear the Gordon i bought is brighter. Of course the dorcy has a resistor in it yet but i haven't taken this light apart yet to see what bin comes with it. Also, how is the beam on the C version in comparison to the D version? Does it shine as far? I haven't bought one of those yet.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

One was a TX1J, the other was a TXOK....different tints, and different Vf's. Looks like a pure lottery.

The beam on the C model is very similar to the D model. Not quite as wide, but throws just as far....I was surprised. I really like the C model just due to its smaller size, but the D version offers about twice the runtime. The CPF credo comes to mind here..."buy both!"

killerqueen

Newly Enlightened
Re: ***On Hold *** FS: 240 Lumens!! Gordon 3W Seoul Modded Lights (3D and 3C)

I'll take a 3D version when they are ready. Please PM me when you are ready to ship. thanks

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: They're Back!! FS: 240 Lumens!! Gordon 3W Seoul Modded Lights (3D and 3C)

They're back! (Refer to update at top of first post)

Thanks!

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: They're Back!! FS: 240 Lumens!! Gordon 3W Seoul Modded Lights (3D and 3C)

Here's a couple of pics comparing the 3D to an Ultrafire C2 Cree. The 3D had about 20 minutes use on the batteries, the C2 Cree had a freshly charged 18650.

This 3D really throws!

C2 Cree on left, 3D on right
dsc04507mz1.jpg

Underexposed....notice how much brighter the modded 3D light is!
dsc04510mw9.jpg

Last edited: