SunwayLED
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surefire Z48 vs Z58 switch

Default surefire Z48 vs Z58 switch

I want a clicky for my surefire M3, the SW02 has some availability issues, and i quite expensive, so i've narowed it down to the Z48 and Z58 switches.

so which one is the best? are there even any real differences expect for the way they look?

Default Re: surefire Z48 vs Z58 switch

It depends on what you want to use it for. If you need the CombatGrip and use the M3 as a tactical light along with your firearm, then I suspect the lower-profile Z58 would be more suitable.
    Otherwise the Z48 with it's protective rubber shroud is better in my opinion.

I prefer the harries technique, though the only tactical use i might see is when i hear a weird noise around the house at night.

Why would the protective rubber have any real use when compared to the z58? to me it seems like just another thing that can go wrong. the Z58 doesn't have anything that needs extra protection i think, to me it looks like the Z48 is the Z58 made longer, so they put some more rubber onto it.

Flashaholic

The Z48 rubber makes it harder to turn on when using just one hand.

Just my 2 cents.

The clickie mechanism in the Z48 is more robust and reliable than the one in the Z58.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Quote Originally Posted by FredericoFreire
    The Z48 rubber makes it harder to turn on when using just one hand.

Just my 2 cents.
    if so, this is a very valid reason to get the Z58. I can hardly imagine using the light with 2 hands. Anyone else that can verify this?

I think this is mainly the case when using the combat grip, but your thumb does need to travel a little further to press the button on the Z48/SW02. Still, the Z58 doesn't inspire me with enough confidence to have it on my light. I prefer either the Z41 (LOTC) or the Z48/SW02 for my M3/M3T.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Quote Originally Posted by leukos
    I think this is mainly the case when using the combat grip, but your thumb does need to travel a little further to press the button on the Z48/SW02.
    Agreed - the rubber shroud and long travel of the pressure switch before it latches means that you have to intend to click and usually modify your thumb position a bit to do so.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's
    Agreed - the rubber shroud and long travel of the pressure switch before it latches means that you have to intend to click and usually modify your thumb position a bit to do so.

Al
    i can live with that, but is it really more robust then the Z58?

Quote Originally Posted by defusion
    i can live with that, but is it really more robust then the Z58?
    SureFire updated it's compact clickies (current versions of the E-Series and standard series clickies have white guts rather than black).
    This appears to have dramatically reduced the complaints on CPF regarding failed clickies.

Al

Do you know about when this happened? if it's too current my supplier might have an old batch. I might just ask them to check the 'guts' though, just to be sure.
    I like the low profile z58 better, the only reason for getting an z48 might have been the the reliability issues.

The Z48 can tailstand. Also, if you drop the light, the Z48 would probably offer some extra protection, provided it lands tail first.
    Want to buy Tektite and Tekna lights and parts. PM me with what you have.

Flashaholic*

I am certain, that the Z48/49 are more reliable than the 'consumer-clickies'. Cant say why, it just feels like it works - smooths, defined.

Dont forget, the rubber shroud on the 48/49 can be removed - with a bit of work.
    The tailcap is still quite large, but much easier to operate.

WIth the rubber shroud version, you can also stand the light on its tail, pointed at the ceiling for area lighting.
    Dean Venture: "I'll get the flashlights!"
    Hank Venture: "And I'll get the astronaut Ice Cream!"

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by defusion
    if so, this is a very valid reason to get the Z58. I can hardly imagine using the light with 2 hands. Anyone else that can verify this?
    I had a Z48 and didn't like, because of that rubber thing, I used 2 hands to turn it on.

So I sold the Z48 and got a Z58. It is smaller, best looking, better. I think that Z58 is the best tailcap SF ever made.

Flashaholic*

The Z48 has a larger spring, I think it is better if you plan on using high output lamps because it can handle the current better. Also the clicky mechanism is more robust.

I wonder what the Z48 looks like when you take the rubber shroud off?

The updated Z58 is definately an improvement, I don't think it's a Z48 replacement though.

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude
    I wonder what the Z48 looks like when you take the rubber shroud off?

Flashaholic

size15's,

Thanks for the pictures Al. I was also wondering what the Z48 looked like with the shroud removed.

Flashdark sends,
    Flashdark spends.
    A flashdark is a device that projects a black circle upon (thereby obscuring) anything which is visually offensive. Surefire: E1e/KL1(2), E2L, E2e, E2C/P-61, KL2, KL3(1,2v3), KL4, L1-RD(1), L1-WH(1,2), L2(1), L4, L5, L6, G2, C2, U2, K2, M2, C3, M3, M3T, M6. Milkyspit: ML-1, MilkMite. Photon: Freedoms(WH/RD/TQ).

I put the Z48 on a Leef body with a SF KT4-HA head and FM27 beam cover, the weight of my "SF M4" creation is such that I probably will drop it at some point and the rubber Z48 will help reduce "drop shock" if it lands on it's tail.
    Last edited by dartos; 04-08-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am trying to decide which one of these to pursue. I would prefer the more compact version that is easier to operate with one hand, though I have read that you lose the ability to tailstand.

My question is regarding reliability issues. Are there any? Were the issues that were mentioned before with the Z58 corrected? Does it now have a larger spring, like the Z48?

$38.00 seems to be a pretty standard price for these switches. Is there anywhere cheaper?
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Flashaholic*

Smile Re: surefire Z48 vs Z58 switch

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread
    Thanks for the old thread; just the info that I need. Glad I ordered Z48.

I've used both the Z58 and Z48. IMO I prefer the Z48 over the Z58 as better overall design and operation. The Z58 although much lighter, rather feels plasticky...
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

The newer 4 tab Z58 still has reliability issues. I had to take apart mine last night to get it to click again...

Also this thread shouldn't be in the Incandescent forums?

Thank's for the replies!

As for where the thread should be...it was started in April of 2007...?

Since it seems that the reliability issues have not been fixed, I will probably go with the Z48.

"...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

I LOVE the rubber shroud!

Tail standing is possible with it.

Sticking it into your pocket without locking out the tailcap is possible too.

That's pretty cool! That's what I've got/am building:

I have a Surefire HA-III C2, I have a Malkoff sitting in it, and, once I get the clicky, I think I will have pretty much the perfect light! Oh, I did swap for a Leef C-to-C body, so that I can use protected 18650 cells with no issues.

I think this is going to be a really bright, really reliable, really pocketable light.

"I wish I could go back in time a year or so and give myself advice. I would of told myself to get the Surefire HAIII C3, a Z48 clicky, and a Malkoff and not waste so much money trying to go the cheap route."

I was at the same junction, with Surefire 9P with Malkoff M60 and trying to decide between Z49 and Z59.

Tried hard to like the stock Z41 tailcap, but we just don't "click" together, it's awesome reliability aside. Seems like to turn it on you need to hold it on with some pressure, which requires the use of the hand and inability to do anything else using that hand. And to twist it you need two hands. (Can be done with one hand but awkward)

Plus the the fact that I EDC tailcap down, bezel up and sometimes the tailcap switch bumps against something and cuts on. I had that happen with other lites. I carry sharp objects in a different pocket but it still happens 2-3 times per year. So some kind of recessed tailcap switch is a must. I would prefer a metal guard a la Fenix. I am kind of surprised Surefire doesn't make one.

Now this discussion removes all doubt that the switch I want is Z49... (Black clicky with rubber shroud (for Standard Bodies))

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    SureFire updated it's compact clickies (current versions of the E-Series and standard series clickies have white guts rather than black).
    This appears to have dramatically reduced the complaints on CPF regarding failed clickies.

Al
    Is there an updated version of Z49?
    If so, how do I tell that I am geting an upgraded version?

Earlier on the SF clickies had a higher tendency to fail than they do now after the upgrades.

I REALLY don't think you will run into an old one and if you do 1 phone call will get a new one sent to you ASAP. You worry too much pal.
    Last edited by Sgt. LED; 10-13-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Who is a good reseller of Surefire stuff on the East coast?

I found this, can anyone beat their price?

http://www.nightvisionplanet.com/Sur...refire-z49.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast