surefire Z48 vs Z58 switch

defusion

Enlightened
I want a clicky for my surefire M3, the SW02 has some availability issues, and i quite expensive, so i've narowed it down to the Z48 and Z58 switches.

so which one is the best? are there even any real differences expect for the way they look?

Size15's

Flashaholic
It depends on what you want to use it for. If you need the CombatGrip and use the M3 as a tactical light along with your firearm, then I suspect the lower-profile Z58 would be more suitable.
Otherwise the Z48 with it's protective rubber shroud is better in my opinion.

defusion

Enlightened
I prefer the harries technique, though the only tactical use i might see is when i hear a weird noise around the house at night.

Why would the protective rubber have any real use when compared to the z58? to me it seems like just another thing that can go wrong. the Z58 doesn't have anything that needs extra protection i think, to me it looks like the Z48 is the Z58 made longer, so they put some more rubber onto it.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clickie mechanism in the Z48 is more robust and reliable than the one in the Z58.

defusion

Enlightened
FredericoFreire said:
The Z48 rubber makes it harder to turn on when using just one hand.

Just my 2 cents.
if so, this is a very valid reason to get the Z58. I can hardly imagine using the light with 2 hands. Anyone else that can verify this?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is mainly the case when using the combat grip, but your thumb does need to travel a little further to press the button on the Z48/SW02. Still, the Z58 doesn't inspire me with enough confidence to have it on my light. I prefer either the Z41 (LOTC) or the Z48/SW02 for my M3/M3T.

Size15's

Flashaholic
leukos said:
I think this is mainly the case when using the combat grip, but your thumb does need to travel a little further to press the button on the Z48/SW02.
Agreed - the rubber shroud and long travel of the pressure switch before it latches means that you have to intend to click and usually modify your thumb position a bit to do so.

Al

defusion

Enlightened
Size15's said:
Agreed - the rubber shroud and long travel of the pressure switch before it latches means that you have to intend to click and usually modify your thumb position a bit to do so.

Al
i can live with that, but is it really more robust then the Z58?

Size15's

Flashaholic
defusion said:
i can live with that, but is it really more robust then the Z58?
SureFire updated it's compact clickies (current versions of the E-Series and standard series clickies have white guts rather than black).
This appears to have dramatically reduced the complaints on CPF regarding failed clickies.

Al

defusion

Enlightened
Do you know about when this happened? if it's too current my supplier might have an old batch. I might just ask them to check the 'guts' though, just to be sure.
I like the low profile z58 better, the only reason for getting an z48 might have been the the reliability issues.

BBL

Enlightened
I am certain, that the Z48/49 are more reliable than the 'consumer-clickies'. Cant say why, it just feels like it works - smooths, defined.

Dont forget, the rubber shroud on the 48/49 can be removed - with a bit of work.
The tailcap is still quite large, but much easier to operate.

FredericoFreire

Enlightened
defusion said:
if so, this is a very valid reason to get the Z58. I can hardly imagine using the light with 2 hands. Anyone else that can verify this?

I had a Z48 and didn't like, because of that rubber thing, I used 2 hands to turn it on.

So I sold the Z48 and got a Z58. It is smaller, best looking, better. I think that Z58 is the best tailcap SF ever made.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z48 has a larger spring, I think it is better if you plan on using high output lamps because it can handle the current better. Also the clicky mechanism is more robust.

I wonder what the Z48 looks like when you take the rubber shroud off?

The updated Z58 is definately an improvement, I don't think it's a Z48 replacement though.

Size15's

Flashaholic
ampdude said:
I wonder what the Z48 looks like when you take the rubber shroud off?
SureFire%20Nitrolons%20with%20Clickies%201%2064.jpg

Flashdark

Enlightened
size15's,

Thanks for the pictures Al. I was also wondering what the Z48 looked like with the shroud removed.

Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends.

dartos

Newly Enlightened
I put the Z48 on a Leef body with a SF KT4-HA head and FM27 beam cover, the weight of my "SF M4" creation is such that I probably will drop it at some point and the rubber Z48 will help reduce "drop shock" if it lands on it's tail.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am trying to decide which one of these to pursue. I would prefer the more compact version that is easier to operate with one hand, though I have read that you lose the ability to tailstand.

My question is regarding reliability issues. Are there any? Were the issues that were mentioned before with the Z58 corrected? Does it now have a larger spring, like the Z48?

$38.00 seems to be a pretty standard price for these switches. Is there anywhere cheaper?