Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42

Thread: Watch your baby sitter!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Posts
    1,200

    Default Watch your baby sitter!!

    My friend's baby sitter, he is really a class of its own, he is 16.
    Not only he purchased $90 worth of movies on pay per view and never admitted on doing it. Stuff he purchased included playboy channel stuff...
    Other than that he stole ciggarrets and cash laying on the table. Man i'd wish i would have never to go through this kind of crap.
    If you have a babysitter that you have to let him stay your place watch for your precious stuff *cough* lights!!

  2. #2
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,846

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Never trust ANYONE you don't really know!!!
    Be VERY CAREFULL!!!

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* jar3ds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,988

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    scary... i wouldn't let a male watch my kids.... only females... only Christian females that go to church on a regular basis and have a love for the Lord that is obvious to mult. people...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jar3ds
    i wouldn't let a male watch my kids.
    +1

    Teenage males tend toward irresponsibility and untrustworthiness. Of course some of them are completely trustworthy.

    But just playing the odds, it'd be unwise to rely on a teen male to look after little kids.


    .

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* NAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    739

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    I'd only entitle someone to a job like that if I knew them for a while. Even then I would still secure my stuff.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NAW
    I'd only entitle someone to a job like that if I knew them for a while. Even then I would still secure my stuff.
    To hell with your stuff - that's replacable. The kids are not replacable.


    .

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* NAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    739

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ringzero
    To hell with your stuff - that's replacable. The kids are not replacable.


    .
    So you're saying you're just gonna leave your credit cards, checks, files, money, laying around the house for anyone to pick up?

    Thinking about the kids safety is important. But its not like you have to say the hell with the belongings, I'm gonna completley forget about them because there not as important...

    Most people have a higher chance of being ripped off than there child dieing from a babysitter so it would be wise to think about both child endangerment & theft as well.
    Last edited by NAW; 04-06-2007 at 05:03 AM. Reason: slight clarification

  8. #8

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ringzero
    To hell with your stuff - that's replacable. The kids are not replacable.


    .
    Dang right! LOL, all you guys worried about some stupid flashlights MUST be single (at least I hope you are).

    I'm not saying that as any type of critisism, I was that way too PK (Pre Kids). Once you have a child, your priorities and mind-set change. Its all good.
    Last edited by EricMack; 04-06-2007 at 05:02 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jar3ds and ringzero
    ...
    i wouldn't let a male watch my kids.
    ...
    What would you think of a female running a corporation, or simply earning as much as an equally-qualified male in any position? Would you let your kids pet a pit bull?

    http://education.yahoo.com/reference...ntry/prejudice

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* benchmade_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    not far enough away
    Posts
    1,239

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    i dont see how going to church has anything to do with this as i dont go to church, i believe in God, but do i go to church every sunday, No. I dont drink, i dont smoke, i dont do drugs, i dont sneek out of the house at night, and i definetly dont steal from my employer. i see them putting a great trust on you when they leave you with there keys to there house and i think you should respect them.

    I have a girl in my class that is very religous, she goes to church every sunday, and what does she do? sneaks out of here house behind here parents back to go drinking and parting. so do i think people should tell if they should employ somone on if they go to church, NO.

    DM


  11. #11
    Flashaholic* cratz2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Central IN
    Posts
    3,942

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    I fear this thread will be locked shortly, but here's my input.

    I'm 34 years old and my ex and I have two daughters and she and her new husband have a son. I think in my lifetime, I've met maybe 20 males tops between the ages of 13 and 18 that I would trust around our kids. I've probably met 200 girls between those same ages that I would trust. Regardless of churchgoing activities, yes there are wild kids that look like angels and vice versa but if I knew the girl and her parents, I'd be less likely to think she would recklessly endanger my kids than would a typical male in the same age bracket.

    To be honest, unless it was a very tight knit group, I'd be somewhat suspicious of a guy that was 13-16 looking to make money baby-sitting.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* Nitroz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    I love how people assume that if one church goer kills, drinks, steals, or anything else for that matter, lumps all religous people in the same boat.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3
    What would you think of a female running a corporation, or simply earning as much as an equally-qualified male in any position? Would you let your kids pet a pit bull?
    You're inquiring as to whether a female babysitter should earn the same as a male babysitter?

    Rate of pay is negotiatied between babysitter and employer. I'd pay more to get a female babysitter, rather than rely on a cheaper male babysitter.

    If Carly Fiorina offered to babysit, I'd consider it although I doubt that I could afford her hourly rate.

    Pit bull - what's that have to do with the topic? Maybe, if I was familiar with the dog and its owner.

    .

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* NAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    739

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Just so there is no confusion, I wasn't in any way trying to imply in my earlier postings that personal belongings are more important than the child(s)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ringzero
    You're inquiring as to whether a female babysitter should earn the same as a male babysitter?

    Rate of pay is negotiatied between babysitter and employer. I'd pay more to get a female babysitter, rather than rely on a cheaper male babysitter.

    If Carly Fiorina offered to babysit, I'd consider it although I doubt that I could afford her hourly rate.

    Pit bull - what's that have to do with the topic? Maybe, if I was familiar with the dog and its owner.

    .
    Since my first effort went over your head, I'll try again.

    Believing that female teens are more trustworthy than male teens is an unfair prejudice. This is similar to the reason that females usually earn less money than a male would in the same position: prejudice. It's also similar to the stigma against pit bulls. These are all examples of people believing, for whatever reason, that some group or culture is somehow less trustworthy, capable, intelligent, etc. than another.

    Like chrwe, I would be a lot more receptive to the "untrustworthy male teen" idea if there was something more than, well, NOTHING posted to back it up.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3
    Since my first effort went over your head, I'll try again.
    You need to be more careful TigerhawkT3.

    A guy with such a high IQ as yours will often go over the heads of people of more modest IQ.

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3
    Believing that female teens are more trustworthy than male teens is an unfair prejudice.
    Believing that reality is based on some absurd PC nonsense you picked up somewhere doesn't change objective reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3
    This is similar to the reason that females usually earn less money than a male would in the same position: prejudice.
    Prejudice exists because it is valuable for survival. If prejudice didn't enhance survival, it would have long ago disappeared from the human race.

    If I were to step out my front door and encounter a tiger in the yard, I could stop and think: "Wow, where did this tiger come from? Could be a tame, well-fed tiger just recently escaped from a circus or zoo. On the other hand, maybe it's a hungry, ill-tempered tiger with a resentment of humans. Should I approach, retreat, or just stand still?"

    Better for my survival if I rely on my instant prejudice about tigers, "Tiger: deadly and fast. Get away now."

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3
    These are all examples of people believing, for whatever reason, that some group or culture is somehow less trustworthy, capable, intelligent, etc. than another.
    People may believe these things because of prejudice. However, that doesn't mean that these things aren't true.

    In fact, most prejudice reflects reality at some level.

    If prejudice didn't correspond closely with reality, prejudice would work against survival, instead of for survival as it usually does.

    People may also believe these things because they have made a study of the scientific literature and available data.


    .

  17. #17
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    141

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jar3ds
    scary... i wouldn't let a male watch my kids.... only females... only Christian females that go to church on a regular basis and have a love for the Lord that is obvious to mult. people...
    Do you have any empirical evidence to substantiate your decision, i.e. "christian females visiting church on a regular basis and having a love for the lord" being "better suited to watch your kids" than any other random person offering that service?

    A few questions:
    1. Please define "regular basis".
    2. How do you measure "having a love for the lord"? Is it a binary variable? If yes, what criteria have to be met for it to be 1?
    3. Please define "christian".
    I would really like to know, 'cause if there is such evidence I would like to take it into consideration should I have to make such a decision.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic* AlexGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    3,639

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    If you can't trust someone with your belongings, how can you trust them with your family???

  19. #19
    Glowing admin B@rt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Land of Tulips and Philips
    Posts
    9,757

    Thinking Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    The subject has a great potental to get nasty, let's keep this thread respectful ok?

    BART

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* swampgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gatorville, Florida
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    My wife and I are lucky to live close enough to both our parents that babysitters won't have to be used. The grandparents love spending time with our son.

    That being said, if I were to use someone outside the family, my child's welfare is the primary concern. But all valuables would be secured.

  21. #21
    Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'
    Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The freakin' desert
    Posts
    14,252

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jar3ds
    ... only females... only Christian females that go to church on a regular basis and have a love for the Lord that is obvious to mult. people...
    Hmmm... guess I can't be trusted with kids then... based on that criteria. Ever watch "Forensic Files" on CourtTV? Just the other night there was a story (true story, btw) of two brothers who attended the same church with their wives. Both couples were respected members of the church and community. One brother was having an affair with the other brother's wife and ended up killing his own wife so he could be with his brother's wife. And the pastor of the church helped to cover it up and instructed his congregation during Sunday services not to talk to the authorities. Yep... gotta trust those church-goin' folks... and family too!
    Last edited by Greta; 04-06-2007 at 10:04 AM.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha
    Hmmm... guess I can't be trusted with kids then... based on that criteria. Ever watch "Forensic Files" on CourtTV? Just the other night there was a story (true story, btw) of two brothers who attended the same church with their wives. Both couples were respected members of the church and community. One brother was having an affair with the other brother's wife and ended up killing his own wife so he could be with his brother's wife. And the pastor of the church helped to cover it up and instructed his congregation during Sunday services not to talk to the authorities. Yep... gotta trust those church-goin' folks... and family too!
    How is posting something like this keeping things respectful?

  23. #23
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    141

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by EricMack
    How is posting something like this keeping things respectful?
    It is very respectful, as it uses slight irony to show jar3ds decision might be completely unsubstantiated. Slight irony imo is a much friendlier way to point out some possible error in reasoning than harshly calling out the person in error.

    I am really interested if it can be substantiated by some data jar3ds might know but I haven't heard about. We'll see.

  24. #24
    *Flashaholic* gadget_lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Near Silicon Valley (too near)
    Posts
    6,949

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    It's reallly tough to be sure about anyone. In general, teenagers have not yet learned to have restraint. Put temptation in the path of most teenagers and you have a strong possibility that they will make the wrong decision. Outwardly visible factors such as religion, girlscouts, etc don't really come into play.

    Nanny-cams are commercially successful simply because folks realize that they can't tell if the 60 year old woman who sits the kids every Wednesday is bringing her own booze or boyfriends.

    I was once a single parent. I had to use baby sitters on many occasions. According to my adult kids, two of the sitters (one a licensed day care provider) were abusive. Yes, they both attended church reularly, and one even took my kids with her a few times.

    Hiring mature adults whom you have time to get to know is the key. It also helps to actually get references from the kids that she/he has baby sat before.

    Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

  25. #25
    Flashaholic* 9volt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,236

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!



  26. #26
    Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'
    Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The freakin' desert
    Posts
    14,252

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz
    I love how people assume that if one church goer kills, drinks, steals, or anything else for that matter, lumps all religous people in the same boat.
    ... and I love how people assume that if one doesn't go to church, they can't be trusted around children. Both generalizations are just as ridiculous. THAT was my point... sorry you missed it.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic* cratz2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Central IN
    Posts
    3,942

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha
    ... and I love how people assume that if one doesn't go to church, they can't be trusted around children. Both generalizations are just as ridiculous. THAT was my point... sorry you missed it.
    I got your point and I completely agree with it. Having said that, since somewhere between 65% and 93% of America identifies as Christian (whether practicing or non-practicing), I'd imagine if you asked every single parent in the country if they had to choose a babysitter that attended church regularly or a babysitter that hadn't been to churcn in 10 years, a pretty overwhelming majority would probably prefer those that attend church.

    Having said that, Ted Bundy and John Gacy likely attended church more regularly than I do.

    I think the idea is that you never really know someone. I think most people that identify with Christianity would tend to prefer an unknown babysitter that also identifies with Christianity vs an unknown babysitter that is completely against Christianity. I know a handful of people that have attended church almost every Wednesday and Sunday for the last 20 years that I wouldn't trust with my kids and I know a couple that practices Wicca that I would trust 100% with anything including my kids.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

  28. #28
    Flashaholic* benchmade_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    not far enough away
    Posts
    1,239

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cratz2

    Having said that, Ted Bundy and John Gacy likely attended church more regularly than I do.
    Dennis Rader AKA BTK was the leader in a Church in Wichita Kansas.


  29. #29
    Flashaholic* benchmade_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    not far enough away
    Posts
    1,239

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha
    ... and I love how people assume that if one doesn't go to church, they can't be trusted around children. Both generalizations are just as ridiculous. THAT was my point... sorry you missed it.
    +1

    and i hate when that is the first question people ask is if you do to church.

    well i see this one getting closed, as we have gone a ways off topic.


  30. #30
    Flashaholic* Nitroz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: Watch your baby sitter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha
    ... and I love how people assume that if one doesn't go to church, they can't be trusted around children. Both generalizations are just as ridiculous. THAT was my point... sorry you missed it.

    Guess I did miss that one, owell.

    About the only person I trust with my kids is my mother-in-law.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •