I make my own Leather sheaths and holsters. 27LT added and NOW the SS Civictor

qarawol

Enlightened
I make my own Leather sheaths and holsters...

I thought I would share another talent of mine besides spending money on Flashlights.

I make my own leather goods. All of these have been hand designed, scissor cut from a large hide, hand stitched and stained. I have also have made custom ones for co-workers and friends.

First we have here the one that I made for one of my (work) EDC, the Surefire 9N. The holster has three snaps in a triangular fashion, pivoting in the middle, that I can rotate it 360 degrees and lock it in at 90 degree increments. This lets me carry the Flashlight vertically or horizontally. Face it forward to use as a walking light or reverse with a red filter as a tail light. :grin2: I can even invert it to see my shoes or feet if I care to. There is even a notch in the back for the pant belt loop to prevent it sliding along the belt.

Surefire9N.jpg

Surefire9Na.jpg

This next sheath is for my Schrade PH2. I have looked high and low for this knife many years ago for I liked the shape and style. This holster is one of my panicle leather making career ones. This is a horizontal only carry for right hand use, since I am right handed. I have this right in front and it is very tight against the body. No bending restriction of it poking me in the front or side or..? The unique thing on this holster is that I placed two flat rare earth magnets within the sheath that gives the knife a smooth friction fit. The magnets are covered so that they do not scratch the blade and are strong enough that they can hold the knife in place inverted without the retainer strap. The back side has three strips to insert the belt through. The pant belt loop can be placed between them to prevent it from sliding along the belt.

SchradePH2.jpg

SchradePH2a.jpg

Next is the one for my Emerson/Neeley SPECWAR knife. The slots on the tip of the sheath are for a leg strap or invert shoulder carry. This too can be carried vertically on the belt or horizontally in the back. My design was to keep it tight against the body should you wear it on the back belt line. The two silver dots are screws that can secure this sheath to other leather straps, change the carry angle or secure it to other gear.

EmersonNealySpecwara.jpg

EmersonNealySpecwar.jpg

This one is for my Cold Steel Magnum Tanto II with San Mai blade. Right hand, vertical only and very tight to the body.

ColdSteelMagnumTantoIIa.jpg

ColdSteelMagnumTantoII.jpg

Necklace style carry or vertical belt. Pictures will explain. They both are ambidextrous and can be carried inverted, necklace style or use the belt loops for vertical belt carry. The folder is a Cold Steel w/San Mai Blade and the red handled one is a Klein wire stripper knife. Close up ones of the Cold Steel shows how the knife can be turned as well as the retaining strap. Notice the sheath looks like it is shaped for a double edged knife. That is made to accommodate the knife in either direction.

ColdSteelSanMaiFolderb.jpg

ColdSteelSanMaiFoldera.jpg

ColdSteelSanMaiFolder.jpg

For the H&K P7M13 9mm Semi-Auto. The top one is for inside the pant carry. It has a coating between the layers to prevent or reduce body moisture soaking through. The other is for small of the back carry.

The SIG P226 9mm ambidextrous leg holster with one magazine pouch. Notice the magazine pouch can be opened from both sides. The strap can be reversed also.

Colt Combat Commander Enhanced 45ACP inside the pant.

I already have some SPECIAL design holsters for Flashlights in mind and I am waiting to receive my HDS U60 to make it. You ougt to see the ones I made for my Benchmade Bali-Song and my Swiss multi tool. Y'all not ready for those yet.

I am an Electrician by trade and I have made the ULTIMATE tool pouch. I call it my tool system. No one has one like it and one must appreciate the electrical trade and leather work to its fullest to really understand its design. Do I dare show it?? I even made a cordless drill cross-draw chest holster for an ex co-worker. I have too see if I can still get a hold of him for a picture.

No special request at this time. I am not ready.

I just thought I would waste your time again.

Njoy…

Last edited:

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
Re: I make my own Leather sheaths and holsters. Warning! many pictures.

Okay, I'll say it: somewhat coarse in the area of fit & finish.

BUT, I see a great deal of forethought in the design. Function over form as it were. I really like how there is not excess/wasted material in the sheaths. That is a tough thing to accomplish. And, you got what you want. Let me guess, you started this because no one made what you wanted. Good on you! Lastly, you've got some big 'uns to post your work on the web. I've got a couple of IWB 1911 holsters that I made but I have not posted them anywhere because I did not want to get drilled! I like em.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

qarawol,

Please indulge this question from someone who has no leatherworking experience. How did you make the holes in the leather before sewing the pieces together? Thanks.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

...I see a great deal of forethought in the design. Function over form as it were. I really like how there is not excess/wasted material in the sheaths. That is a tough thing to accomplish. And, you got what you want. Let me guess, you started this because no one made what you wanted. Good on you!...
Yes, all of that. It is obvious that you know what you want and know how to get there. You have a hyper-3D understanding of what you need. Your stuff shows a more complete understanding than many commercial products.

Please excuse my earlier one word reply but I had to get out of the house.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

That stuff looks very useable.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

parnass said:
qarawol,

Please indulge this question from someone who has no leatherworking experience. How did you make the holes in the leather before sewing the pieces together? Thanks.
To me, it looks like he used a Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl which makes it's own holes as you sew a lock stitch. The SSSA also uses a higher quality thread than any other similar device.

Last edited:

qarawol

Enlightened

parnass said:
qarawol,

By using a rotary leather punch tool -see picture below-.
Every hole on both pieces, sometimes three to four pieces of leather has to punched one layer at a time. I hand sew everthing with a needle and thread.

LeatherPunchTool.jpg

Njoy...

lukus

Enlightened

Those look good.

Using a punch to do the holes can take forever. Glue it all up first with rubber cement, then drill the holes instead of punching them. A 1/16" bit in a dremel will go pretty quick.

Only trying to be helpful.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

qarawol said:
By using a rotary leather punch tool -see picture below-. ...

Thanks for the info.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

Leather working is fun. Many of my knifemaking buddies detest it but to me, it is one of the more enjoyable and easier tasks in the process. I do simple sheaths and drilling each hole and hand stitching is relaxing. YMMV. I wouldn't mind having a Tippmann Boss Hand Stitcher at certain times. :)

Sharpdogs

Enlightened

Impressive work. I especially like the sheath for th Schrade knife.

swampgator

Enlightened

RA40 said:
I wouldn't mind having a Tippmann Boss Hand Stitcher at certain times.
The Boss is okay, but if you're going to spend that much money to sew I'd suggest looking for a used Adler. Much, much faster. Of course some of the Ferdco models can be quite affordable new.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tippmann's products. I learned to sew on an Aerostitch. I just think you don't get anywhere near your money's worth with the Boss.

lukus said:
Using a punch to do the holes can take forever. Glue it all up first with rubber cement, then drill the holes instead of punching them. A 1/16" bit in a dremel will go pretty quick.

A few years back Dusty Johnson did a couple articles in the Leathercrafters Journal about a dremel versus an awl. He tested which was a stronger method. Short of the story the drill makes a better hole that's less likely to pull through and tear. He finished the article by saying something to the effect of: "the only reason old saddle makers used an awl is that they didn't have electric tools."

Last edited:

qarawol

Enlightened

Just made for my 27LT...

Njoy...

Last edited:

qarawol

Enlightened
Here is the one I just completed for my SS Civictor. Though I am right handed, I have made this for me to be used with my left hand. (since I already have one available for my right). The Flashlight will be carried on the front left side of my belt line. The rear of the Flashlight is tilted upwards at a slight angle for better ergonomics to grab the Flashlight in the "READY TO USE" position right from the draw.
Example: Take your left hand and place it on the left side of your belt line between the center (pant button) and your left side. Look at the angle of your hand. That is the angle the Flashlight is at (for me anyways). The Flashlight is pulled out and your thumb is already on the button/switch ready to use. :grin2:

SSCivictor.jpg

This is a tight friction fit and I may place a retainer strap on it, though it does not need it. I covered the head completely to give it more surface area for better retention. Also the front of it was given a 'thong' look so that you can use the Flashlight while it is still in its holster.

I am REEAAALLY pondering on making these or others available in the future.

Do keep in mind that these will be COMPLETELY CUSTOM made. Tilted for right or left hand use. The ones here shown are for my 1-3/8" width belt. Some may want one for a 1" or need it for a 1.5" or 2" belt. I never did like the vertical play and the flopping around that mass production holsters have for they have to accommodate all belt sizes. Oh Yeah! There is no ristriction of this what so ever, i.e. poking you or getting tilted on your side when you sit down in your car. There is no need to lean to one side to grag it, it will always be ready to use unless you have someone sitting on your lap.

Bloodnut said:
Let me guess, you started this because no one made what you wanted. Good on you!

'Bloonut' you are correct.

Njoy…

Last edited:

qarawol

Enlightened
Surefire M6 Leather Holster

Just finished!

The ULTRA MINIMUM, Bare, Maximum Exposed, CUSTOM leather holster ever made for the Surefire M6.

This has got to be the slimmest holster ever for the Surefire M6. This is secured to the belt using a leather wrapped belt clip or it can be removed from the clip and attached horizontally or vertically to my Universal Backing for a SUPER SOLID HOLD!!!

SurefireM6f.jpg

SurefireM6g.jpg

SurefireM6h.jpg

Njoy…

Last edited:

qarawol

Enlightened
'ARC mania' Mega Micro Leather Case

This is what is involved in making an 'ARC mania' Mega Micro Leather Holster. Everything is completely HAND made, cut one piece at a time, sewn, dyed (optional), finishing touches until the final product.

All pieces are measured, one at a time (no cookie cutter here)...

HandMeasured.jpg

I use contact cement on the stitch lines...

ContactCementStiching.jpg

Pulling a needle through 3 layers of leather is no easy task. I have broken many needles...

3LayersSewing.jpg

One side stitched...

OneSideStiched.jpg

2nd stitch line alignment...

StichAligment.jpg

Hand sewn. Yep! still the same gloves...

HandSewn.jpg

This shows how I just don't form the leather to fit right away...

SizeBefore.jpg

I have to stretch fit AFTER SEWING to make my holsters work. The Surefire 3P body is 1" in diameter. The Mega Micro is a bit over 1.25" due to knurling. See how even 1" is still too small to "just fit". This requires a lot more work and I think I am the only one that does this. Besides, look at the backing, the Flashlight body or head wrap on my leather holsters don't ever rarely exceed the width of the backing. Clearly showing that it is not just wet molded. I can't even clamp my leather work before stitching due to the tension of the leather. My stitch lines are usually under the body or head and I stitch the entire length. Also, look how close I am to the edge. This makes for an overall smaller holster. Most think my ways of holster making is a waste of time. A holster is a holster as long as it holds what we want. So then a Flashlight is a Flashlight. Yeah Right! We know better.

Edge beveled...

Beveled.jpg

Sanding the edges...

Sandinga.jpg

Sandingc.jpg

A few more touches...

EdgeCoat.jpg

EdgeCoata.jpg

And VIOLA! A finished project...

Finished.jpg

Finishedb.jpg

Finisheda.jpg

COMPLETELY 100% HAND MADE! I didn't include the pics of installing the snaps, belt clip or the little leather disc inside to cover the snap to prevent scratching. I still have to sign and date.

There you go folks, all that work (4+ hours) just to make a Custom Leather Holster... EASY!

Njoy...

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the photos and description of your craftsmanship, qarawol. Very impressive! :thumbsup: