Fixed Home Lighting

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any LED AC-DC dimmable converters available? I know I could design my own but why re-invent the wheel if there something already available :)

Mac

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theres a running thread in the McGizmo forum maybe some info there

I think they are called Xitanium

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Mac,

There are a couple of the Xitanium drivers (high end price wise) that can be dimmed with the new generation electronic dimmers. If you search the data sheets on Advance Transformers site (makers of the Xitanium) they have a long and rather confusing (to me) list of manufacturers who make compatable dimmers.

Wayne has a couple drivers I have been working with that can be dimmed by a signal input but I don't know if he is offering them on the shoppe yet; I don't think he is.

Mash

Enlightened
From my research into AC LED drivers, it seems that dimming is a bit of a rarity. And some of the dimmable ones, only seem to be able to dim down to 10%, which means you need to have one switch for on/off, and a seperate potentiometer for dimming, since the potentiometer is connected to the board, not the input AC, as one would presume, ie the driver needs constant AC voltage.
This seems to be due that most drivers are meant for large scale (museaum, mall etc etc) use, and not domestic. So the dimming is more of an adjustment, than true home style dimming.
However I think I have found one mains dimmable driver, MIGHT be made by lumidrives, its not on their website yet, and due to the holiday havent been able to check with them yet. Will report once I know.

EDIT just found this, see if it works for you:
link

EDIT this is the unit I was reffering to in the post, seems to be what you have been looking for:
=120]Lumotech
Now my question is: whats a trailing edge dimmer?

Last edited:

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
Trailing edge and leading edge are ways to describe how the dimmer works. One varient turns the current on at a zero crossing and then abruptly shuts it off part way into each of the halves of the sinewave. Another varient turns the current on abruptly in the middle of the sinewave and off at the zero crossing. The latter is how most dimmers work. I suspect that is what they mean by "trailing edge" -- the voltage is on for the trailing edge of each half of the sinusoid.

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
Too bad that one is actually 240vAC only, for us poor Americans.