Any mods for SL-20x ?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really.

You could put a Sl-35X lamp in it, or you could probably find some potted lamp assemblies.

For power, the 1/2D batteries are getting hard to find, but every once in a while some 1/2D size NIMH cells surface, which offer about 50% more runtime over the stock Nicd cells.

The SL-20x has been discontunued by SL. The replacement is the SL-20x/LED.

--dan

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. That's the one. Same thread as in my sigline SL60 link below. I will have some more of these kits available soon, but right now I need more 1160 lamps.

Walt175

Enlightened
js said:
Yup. That's the one. Same thread as in my sigline SL60 link below. I will have some more of these kits available soon, but right now I need more 1160 lamps.
EvilPaul, grab some popcorn and join me. From what I've read, it'll be worth the wait!
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walt175,

With the flasher/dimmer cap and a 3.5 AH Aero NiMH battery, the SL60 (SL-20X running 1160 lamp) is a really neat light. Unique amoung incandescents in its class for the range over which it can be dimmed, from a dozen or so lumens back on up to 450 lumens in a continuously variable arc. Very cool. When I owned an SL60 with the flasher/dimmer cap, I would start out walking with it rather dim. Like beat-up, abused 2D maglite kind of dim. Then only later would I power up. Kind of a stealth light in a way.

Plus the 1940 with MOP finish can yield a very nice SureFire-like beam when the 1160 ring-potted lamp is positioned just right, which isn't hard to do or anything. The ring-potted lamp is just adjusted once, then locked down with set-screw. After this it will not move, even if you drop the light. Plus, it is completely heat resistant. Extended running is no problem. No plastic socket to melt.

The downside, of course, is the larger size of the SL-20X (or 35X) light when compared to a TigerLight or SF M6. The upsides are the flasher/dimmer cap, and a switch that is easy to find (compared to a TL) and easy to activate with gloves--although the SF M6 has these upsides as well. Plus the 20X is a fairly reasonably priced light.

Personally, I prefer the TigerLight if cost is an object, or the SF M6 is cost is no object, but there are a number of good reasons to go for the SL-20X, particularly if your department issues them or something like that. With the 1160 lamp it becomes quite a viable duty light in my opinion, as long as the battery pack is up to the higher current draw. New stock packs seem to handle it fine, and the Aero NiMH 3.5 AH packs handle it very well indeed, but older stock packs are sometimes not up to the task.

Fair warning: I won't ever be mass producing these kits! I'm a small time modder and have no desire for a commercial exposure. Keep this a relative secret, please! I won't take orders for 10 or 20 of these, for example! These are made by hand, by me, and take some amount of my time. On the other hand, if you have or get one of these kits, I intend to always provide replacement ring potted 1160 lamps for you. I will continue to service all my mods that are in the field, in other words.

HotPursuit

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

New guy here. Just found this place while looking into a smaller LED edc light. Then I thought to search to see what anyone was doing with the SL-20X's. We have had these at work (LEO) since I started (10 years), and the charger is right in the squad so it makes the most sense to use as a primary. The upgrades discused here sound like a major improvement.

I currenlty have a Gladius as my back-up light and a TLR-1 as a pistol light so I actually have three on me most of the time, think that should do it :D

If I can still get these modded bulbs, and purchase my own upgraded battery and tail cap I would be very interested in purchasing my own SL-20X.

JS - I pm'ed you to see if you are still offering your parts for sale.