Omega Watches

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey Folks,

I do belong to a watch forum but love the CPF for its honesty and advice. I was wondering if one tell me more about Omega watchs?

They look nice, have good movment but what would it be comparable to? Price range? ANy good places for a pre-owned?

Any info even "my uncle Bob gave me one for x-mas" is good :)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
In discussing the matter I believe that we have to keep in mind that USA and Europe are very different marketplaces for wristwatches. Some brands are not sold in one area, some others are and apart from very famous names, reputation varies from place to place.

Having said that I bought my first Omega Speedmaster MK II in 1972 followed by a MK III say 3/4 years later. They both gave me a satisfactory service and I used them for several years. My granfather's golden Omega is still in the family safe, it was given to him when he married my grandma in 1919. It still works but it is no longer very accurate....:)

You can say that still now Omega's reputation in the old world is high and recently they have launched several new watches with revolutionary mechanical features. If I liked one of them (which is not the case) I would surely buy it on the basis of a good standing as to quality. Unfortunately I no longer like their design.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't own one—yet. My mom has been wearing her Omega watch for the past 33 years. The authorized/official Omega dealer/repair people still services her watch when needed.

Enjoy!

BobVA

Enlightened
I've got two and both are great, reliable watches. If you're comfortable doing so, you can get great bargains on the used markets - that's where I bought both of mine.

You can also get a good discount off list from any brick & mortar dealer - don't be afraid to ask, and tell them you're shopping around for the best price.

Cheers,
Bob

Bucky

Enlightened
I've had an Omega for about two years now and I can't say enough about how great it has been. I think for the money, Omega is one of the best deals out there. I would recommend you start perusing the Omega forums at Watchuseek and Timezone for more information about the various models and such.

The best place to buy a new Omega is from an authorized dealer that most people on the TZ forum buy their Omega from. Just post there and ask for a referral. After that, the best places to buy a used Omega are the TZ sales forum, WatchSeller, and Bernard Watch. A quick Google search will immediately turn up all those forums and sellers.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions I might be able to help with.

Bucky

Bucky

Enlightened
Sorry, I forgot to address other watch brands that might be comparable to Omega. Depending on what aspect of Omega you are looking for the other brands to be comparable to, here is a good starting point: Rolex, Sinn, Hamilton, Oris, Tutima, Fortis, Bell & Ross and Breitling.

Bucky

Last edited:

SimplyJ

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Planet Ocean Chrono back in December. So far it's been a great timepiece. Omega is supposed to be in the same class as Rolexes, but Omegas tend to be slightly cheaper with better technology to boot.

My PO uses a co-axial movement that is supposed to offer better accuracy and longer intervals between servicing. If you've read the watch forums you may have read that Omega had serious problems with their watches using the Piguet caliber 3300 series movements. Even though my PO uses a C.3313 movement, I haven't noticed any problems yet. Omega has an extended warranty for watches using the co-axial movements. Let's hope I won't have to use it. Otherwise my PO is a fantastic, beautiful watch. My only beef is that it isn't as accurate as I expected, mine runs about 7-10 seconds fast per day. That's still supposed to be close to COSC standards.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
SimplyJ said:
My only beef is that it isn't as accurate as I expected, mine runs about 7-10 seconds fast per day. That's still supposed to be close to COSC standards.
Simplyj have you tried different positions when you lay down your Omega in the evening?

Most watches (Rolexes included) tend to go slightly faster when laid face up while they tend to slow down a bit when the crown is down. You should try first with the crown down then with the crown up and finally in a vertical position. You can easily recover 2-3 seconds per day.
I remember quite well that this trick used to be written in the Rolex instructions very many years ago and I learned it there. It still works today but not really on all movements.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info!! They seem to have a lot of positive reviews which isn't a bad thing at all.

I'm going to check them out at the mall soon. I really hope this watch bug passes soon. This is way more expensive then torches!! :)

Arcoholic

Enlightened
I have had countless Omega watches over the years and i was alway impressed by the quality. I currently only held on to a SMP GMT white dial and my X33.
They are a very good value when bought used, trust me i know how much i lost on most of them.

David

Samoan

Enlightened
Head over to TZ and check out their used watches. I posted a WTB and picked up my SMP (the exact one in Steve's post) for $875.

-F

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Omega are you interested in? Vintage 1970s Quartz ones can be had for $100 (not that desirable of a watch) and old Constellations can run up to 10K (in platinum)

stockae92

Enlightened
the black dial seamaster pro with MOD dial and sword hards has been discontinued. i do like the MOD dial better than the bond or the current PO dial. let's hope Omega will bring the MOD dial back in form of co-axial SMP.

i thought all PO are COSC, if its running out of spec, i think you should take it back to Omega for a regulation. it should be free of charge if the watch is bought new and still under warranty.

i have had a omega SMP GMT before and its a delight to behold of. the finish is good and the lines are smooth. its comfortable to wear and pleasant to the look at. but i got rid of it because the bracelet never really fits right for me. the clasp (though well made and solid) lacks find adjustment and the watch is either slight lightly too tight or too lose with the half link of the bracelet.

i agree with one of the suggestion to look: Sinn

i really like the watch that they are offering. i like tool and mil style watches and Sinn has plenty of choices. i got a U1 not too long ago and it knocked the Marathon SAR off my wrist and its now getting the most wrist top. its no dress watch but it does everything very well: 1000m WR, double AR coating sapphire crystal, easy to read dial and hands, german submarine steel for the case and bezel, super handened bezel, its huge (@ 44mm) but comfortable to wear (the weight on bracelet does get to me sometimes) Sinn is great value consider the technology and design that has been put into the watch (mostly the material and case, not much into the movement since they use top grade ETA movement. omega uses the same grade (COSC grade) of ETA movement, but they are modified and decorated)

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I'm thinking of making my first premium watch purchase, and I was recently delighted to learn of the Omega mid-size Seamaster automatic, which is a better fit for my slender wrists (and my slender pocketbook). I just posted a question on BestDamnWatchForum.com about whether the movement in the mid-size is comparable in quality to the movements in Omega's larger Seamasters. It probably is darn good, at least.

Best of luck with your selection. I hope you'll post when you get your watch.

Steve Andrews

Enlightened
stockae92 said:
the black dial seamaster pro with MOD dial and sword hards has been discontinued. i do like the MOD dial better than the bond or the current PO dial. let's hope Omega will bring the MOD dial back in form of co-axial SMP

That's bad news - I love the sword hands of the 225450. I think the hands of the PO are horrible!

Filament

Newly Enlightened
I had the watch pictured above, 2254.50, and loved almost everything about it. Kept good time, classic good looks, the lume was excellent, and the quality was great. The biggest issues I had with it were (and these were things _I_ noticed, they may not be an issue to anyone else):

- the bezel, although turns nicely, is hard to grip. The "scallops" make it harder to turn than "coin edges", especially with wet hands/diving.
- the bracelet clasp tends to show scratches easily and early.
- the crowns (regular and the He escape) turn smoothly, but are small

All in all, a great watch. I'd recommend picking up a used one on TZ, do some research on the buyer and "fakes", and enjoy it.