ArmyTek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad news for Spyderco....

Unhappy Bad news for Spyderco....

Anyone who is interestd in balisongs problably already read this at bladeforums, but I will post it here for those of you who do not visit blade often, or at all...

http://lawfuel.com/show-release.asp?ID=11640
    - JEFF

Default Re: Bad news for Spyderco....

Another example of pleading out to avoid the expense of a trial.

When arrogant, overzealous government wins, we all loose.

How about posting a pic for those who don't know what knife?

Balisong knives are "switchblade" knives?
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic*

Balisong knives are often called butterfly knives, NOT switchblades.

Quote Originally Posted by MicroE
    Balisong knives are often called butterfly knives, NOT switchblades.
    I've known that all too well as a pinoy. Interesting how the article that's linked above stated that they classify said knives as "switchblades."
    LUX'Ottica

I, too, don't see how they are qualified as switchblades. Unfortunately, they are what the government says they are unless you're willing to spend millions to prove otherwise.

"You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride"

I'm surprised we're still able to possess "assisted openers".

This is my day to rag on the government.

Flashaholic

Sal is a very honorable guy and probably refused to grease the right palms.

Friggin' government. All I can say is, if you like something that is evil, you'd better stock up now. Firearms, knives, swords, air guns, anything.

Have you seen the only "legal" knife in Great Britain? It's basically a less-than-2" single blade slip joint. It sure has helped the crime rate there--keep climbing!

Coming to Amerika soon!
    Friggin government.
    Last edited by Cribbage; 04-13-2007 at 01:59 PM.
    Cribbage
    ---------------------------------
    "More light! Give me more light!"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

With our political sea change, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlight
    How about posting a pic for those who don't know what knife?
    Ok, sorry Im sure not everyone knows what a balisong is...Its often called a butterfly knife...becasue fo the fact that it can be opened with gravity it falls under the switchblade act, but this is different depending on where you live...

Spyderco had 2 balisongs in production (Spyderfly, and szabofly), and a 3rd on the way (smallfly, which was a smaller version of the spyderfly)...

SPYDERFLY

SZABOFLY

Last edited by cutlerylover; 04-13-2007 at 02:28 PM.
    - JEFF

I'm really not that familiar with balisongs. I can see how they can be partially opened by gravity but not completely. I see them being opened by inertia - but then so can almost any other folder. That was a market point for the early Spydercos. Hold the blade and flip the handle.

Those are sweet if you know how to use them. Otherwise, what's the point other than showing off?

Well there is a large balisong community which is constantly trying to better themselves as far as manipulating the balisong, it is an art and it takes along time to get really good consistantly...For the most part your right it has alot to do with showing off for most people, but an experienced user likes the balisogn as an everyday knife as well...I sometimes carry one myself, it is very handy and good quality balisongs like Benchmade makes can take a realy beating and be used just like any other knife...

What sucks in this case is that they have effected collectors like me and many others who use our balisongs for fun and not for crime...Most of the time you will not see a criminal use a $100 + knife, but rather the $10 cheapos you cna find at flea markets...but because spyderco is a well knwon compnay and they merchandise can be traced easily they were an easy target, rather than the chinese companies that import these things in unmarked containers that cannot be checked easily because there are so mnay being imported and exported so often...Even though there are thousands of knife collectors that are mad by this the general public think its a good thign to keep weapons off the street, but in reality its only hurting good honest people like myself...
    - JEFF

Flashaholic*

Dammit, that pisses me off. Spyderco better not go under because of this.

Why aren't they going after Benchmade? They probably sold 100x butterfly knives (its the origin of their logo!!!) .

The problem is not that they are selling or shipping balisong in the US, the problem is that they were having parts imported from other countries, so it became a customs issue...Benchmade makes and assembles all of their balisong parts in the US so they do not go through customs to the best of my knowledge...
    - JEFF

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

Wikipedia has a detailed article on these knives with lots of pics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_knife

If anyone is more interested about balisongs you can talk about them as well as ask questions over at:

www.bladeforums.com (has its own balisong section with good traffic)
    www.Knifeforums.com (not as much traffic but also has its own balisong section)
    www.balisongforums.com (all balisongs all the time, lol)

And if you have one and want to learn some moves you can check out:

www.balisongxtreme.com (click on techniques)
    And tons of more inof and moves at www.balisonginfo.com

Oh I almost forgot about Chucks site...

www.balisongcollector.com
    - JEFF

It's frustrating... It's always the same type of story. The Fed can't find Osama or stop the ICBM technology hemorrage from North Korea but they've got plenty of resourses to make up bogus definitions of switchblades and harass businesses that contribute to the economy. Some things never change...for the better.

Flashaholic*

Ever encroaching government strikes again! It's not going to end until we are like all of the other 3d world countries out there. If we don't assert our Constitutional rights and closely monitor or "servants" in Washington DC this nonsense/garbage will continue...cradle to grave. After all...."they" know what's in our best interests. Shut up and do as your told. It's not just our founding fathers that are "turning in their graves", so are our fathers.

its unfortunate huh...messed up priorities...totally off topic but there are people serving long prison terms for possesion of marijuana but some murderers like OJ get off the hook because of their money...but as messed up as it is I still Love the US...but then again I never left it? Maybe there are other places better than the US to live?
    - JEFF

Flashaholic*

It will be interesting to see what Benchmade does (though BM doesn't import, and Bali's are legal in Oregon; though there may be an issue in terms of how BM ships them once completed), Microtech, all the custom makers, etc.

-dan
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Flashaholic

I really like mine; I have just recently gotten a few to play with, adn I find the smaller Benchmade 'Morpho's to be very handy carry and utility knives.

The design is extremely strong; stronger than any other folder from what I understand.

I also bought a couple of full-size to collect and see if I can learn to 'flip' at least a little. Just got bit for the first time! Super-glue is great for closing a cut!

I will hang on to them just for collection purposes; although the larger ones - BM4x series - are really too big for me to carry daily (business casual).

My only frustration with the Balisong culture is it seems to be populated with a large number of kids young enough to be my son. Maybe it's kinda weird being middle-aged and liking balis, but they are very interesting knives; I highly recommend any knife afficianado get al least one Benchmade.
    Cribbage
    ---------------------------------
    "More light! Give me more light!"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yeah the new Morpho is a great user balisong for its smaller size...And your right, for the most part the balisong community has tons of teenagers and men in their early twenties...I guys its just a cool knife in general and younger men and boys tend to like flashy knives...but your not alone, there are still plenty of older gentlemem who like balisongs...If nothgin else the balisong lets me play with my knives when I am not using them...so that alone wins me over, but your right a balisong is about the strognest designed knife with a lock that will not and almost cannot fail...the only thing stronger is a fixed blade...
    - JEFF

Quote Originally Posted by cutlerylover
    Yeah the new Morpho is a great user balisong for its smaller size...And your right, for the most part the balisong community has tons of teenagers and men in their early twenties...I guys its just a cool knife in general and younger men and boys tend to like flashy knives...but your not alone, there are still plenty of older gentlemem who like balisongs...If nothgin else the balisong lets me play with my knives when I am not using them...so that alone wins me over, but your right a balisong is about the strognest designed knife with a lock that will not and almost cannot fail...the only thing stronger is a fixed blade...
    I had one when I was teen. I thought it was great fun!

Hey, cutlerylover, is this you? -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFQldLnf8u0

The guy in the video also calls himself cutlerlover!

Yup, thats me...I posted 3 balisong videos on ym sisters name on youtube since I do not have an account...that is an older vid I made back in 1999, I picked that song because thats what I was listenign to at the time, but more often than not I like classic rock...I have a short video with no sounds of me messign aroudn with a keychain bali too, and an instructional vid of a combo I tried...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOF_Isb5MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yWfg7zBP-0

My favorotie moves to do with a balisong are ariels, which are any moves in which the knife completely leaves your hand at some point...they are most often the harder moves to complete properly because they take a good amount of practice and correct timing...
    Last edited by cutlerylover; 04-13-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    - JEFF

Argh, dang... Poor Spyderco.

So, this is about those objects in the pics? Those aren't knives, they're works of art! Simply beautiful (I'm glad I don't know how much they cost, especially now that the government is butting in).

It kind of sounds like balisongs are more dangerous to their users than to the rest of the American populace. Most other knives, like ordinary folders, fixed blades, and especially autos, are so easily deployed a caveman could do it (no offense to cavemen).

I feel like the home team was busted by a technical foul. (Hey "ump"! I in your general direction!) At least Spyderco makes a lot of other cool stuff.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BIGIRON
    With our political sea change, you ain't seen nothing yet.
    Oh, but you just don't understand!

You see, it's (a) For The Common Good, (b) For The Children, and (c) to Put Us More In-Tune With Modern/Progressive Social Thought.

There. Now, don't you feel better (*cough*)?

(Today: ban those eeeevil Balisongs. Tomorrow? eeeevil too-bright flashlights.)

Quote Originally Posted by LawFuel
    . . .Spyderco admitted that from June 2005 through January 2007, it had mailed butterfly knives, after importing the knife components from Taipei, Taiwan, through the Port of San Francisco and the Port of Oakland, to Golden, Colorado.
    Side point here. I have not seen any of Spyderco's balisong/butterfly knives but am curious as to know where these are from originally? I always had the impression that these Spyderco Butterfly knives were either made in Japan or here in the USA? Or is it just the said "components" that are from Taipei Taiwan?

That's all. . .
    LUX'Ottica

just the components, thats what the issue was with parts being imported to assemble balisongs...the knives themselves are assembled here in the US at Spyderco's factory...This was a customs issue for parts...
    - JEFF

What a load of bull$#^t! Those A-holes know damn well that a Butterfly knife is not a f**king switchblade! Show me the spring that's inside of it!

Spyderco is not a huge company as some would believe. Popular, yes. But not huge. This bull$#t could serious hurt Spyderco. (A lengthy court battle would have been even more financially damaging).

Switchblade my ass!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast