How can I waterproof my pack?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going into work the other day it was raining cats n' dogs, my pack is 1000 denier Cordura nylon (Maxpedition Baby Condor) and it was soaked by the time I got inside. The interior wasn't too wet but I was only outside for about 2 minutes. Is there a spray or coating we can put on our packs for water resistance?

moeman

Enlightened
there are spays you can get in the sporting goods section of department stores.
we always used plastic bags on the inside to protect stuff....

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
+1 on pack covers.
+1 on trash bags... (trash compactor sized)

I tried to waterproof a bag once... 1 can of campdry and 1 tube of seam sealer and all I had was a smelly leaky bag.

some bags are just impossible to seal.

Wal-mart also has a set of 3 dry bags for 10 bucks. the largest size was just big enough for a laptop computer. the small holds my First Aid Kit, and the medium carries my cold weather gear. They're pretty good for brief immersion and rain but i wouldn't go swimming with them.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting point on the suggestion of pack covers. Most modern backpacks are constructed with rugged waterproof fabrics (coated on the inside) and bound seams which really keeps one's gear quite dry. What the pack cover (or ubiquitious trash bag) does is prevent saturation of the exterior fabric, and from inevitable leakage around zippers or bar tacks.

Enjoy!

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
my pack is 1000 denier Cordura nylon (Maxpedition Baby Condor) and it was soaked by the time I got inside. The interior wasn't too wet but I was only outside for about 2 minutes. Is there a spray or coating we can put on our packs for water resistance?

Cordura nylon is notorious for poor waterproofing.

A friend of mine that builds his own packs, tents, etc. told me that the texture of cordura fabric just doesn't work well with coatings - they don't adhere that well when applied and then rub off easily during use.

I've never had a Cordura pack (and I've owned quite a few from various manufacturers) that kept out rain worth a damn, even when new. Same thing with Cordura gaiters.

On the other hand, I've had inexpensive packs and gaiters made of nylon packcloth that were quite rainproof when new, and stayed fairly rainproof for years.

Cordura nylon works well for packs that will see a lot of rough use. Items like briefcases made of cordura will hold up to daily use for years. Just don't expect cordura items to be more than water repellent, even when new.

As others have pointed out, lightweight, waterproof rain covers for packs are fairly inexpensive and work well if you get one that fits properly. If you use a rain cover and also line your pack with a heavy duty garbage bag, your gear will stay dry even during heavy rain.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always put a big trash bag inside my pack, that works. Of course - the outside of the pack gets went, but doesn't bother me that much. I also have a raincover for my pack, that is used in heavy rain.
There are some 100% waterproof rucksacks, I think Berghaus makes them? They are made of gore-tex fabric (with taped seams).

VWTim

Enlightened
Well it all comes down to how long and what level of rain will you see. All my bags coated with campdry are fine for ~30+ minutes motorcycle commutes in pouring rain. For longer term, or backpacking, then a cover is the way to go.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cordura has a waterproof coating on the inside.

You have a couple of possible problems. 1) the seams are likely not waterproofed. 2) The coating is cracked, worn or otherwise compromised. 3) The pack isn't designed to be waterproof with protection for the flaps and zippers.

In reality, it is probably a bit of all of the above.

What I do is get a waterproof sac and use that as an interior liner. Then, I only put things in the outer pockets that aren't damaged by water.

-john

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
I used to have the same problem , I carry a Camelbak Motherload every day and it got soaked through many times no matter what kind of waterproofing I put on it .
Then I found Camelbaks Tactical Raincover . Its green (Tactical) on one side and Orange on the other . Fully Waterproof . It even has three different schock cords to make it fit almost any medium sized pack .
smile.gif

Here is the link to where you can get them . http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=10860&TabID=1&CatID=5230

Kenny

petersmith6

Enlightened
my i sugest a thick ploy bag.put it in side,pop your stuf in twist the top and its water proof.stick an elastic band on it and iv used my ruck sack to cross rivers.

Latest posts