noob and a luxeon

BatteriesNotIncluded

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,
Yes I'm a fairly new member, yes I've been a lurker for a very long time.

I got bored the other day and decided to throw a luxeon III emitter into a 3d Mag. Of course this being my first try I let out the magic smoke. Second try I remember to use a heatsink and it worked SOOOO much better. Now here's the noob question...does this look about right as far as brightness? I don't have current or lumen numbers or anything but something doesn't seem right about this. I posted a pic of a 4d unmodified for comparison. I know, bad pics but I have no good walls (can we say attic?)
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

luxeon
moz-screenshot.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/463173379_82ca6dcec6.jpg?v=0
mag
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/463168966_cd79da4e0f.jpg?v=0

Andy

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
Welcome Andy.

This might help:
Picture 1
Picture 2

It's a bit tricky getting those links to display the way you would like sometimes, huh? I had some problems with this when I first came here. I can't remember but I'm sure there's information on how to do this somewhere. In the FAQS?

As for the pics, I have no idea how bright the green ones are supposed to be. I'm also curious about the beam shape. I have no doubt someone here will be able to help.

Good luck.

BatteriesNotIncluded

Newly Enlightened
Hey tell me about it! Thanks for the pointer, I'll go digging and make sure it works the right way.

I had only gotten the green led because I'm not too confidant as far as soldering goes and would much rather burn a $6 light before anything else. As a side note, I deserve the idiot of the month award...it's only a 2D light :banghead:, not a 3. As for the beam shape, all I did was cut the cam off of the existing reflector and then stack copper under the led so it would focus. I don't get the hole in the middle until about 80 feet or so.

Andy