5mW lasers still have their place

luvlasers

Enlightened
your average 5mW laser is soon left neglected and forgotten, especially if it is your first.

This need not be the case. A recent experience nicely proves this
yellowlaugh.gif

I was in the middle of doing some clothes washing when the laudry light went out. Damn, what to do? (can't fix it, a long story why)

I'm a laser guy not a torch guy like most in this forum so no torch handy. Don't smoke so no lighter/matches.

The obvious solution??? A laser. With my limited collection i have a choice between a 125mW Viper and a 5mW New wish. Which one should i use?

Clearly no contest. Sorry Dragonlasers in this case, the new wish wins. As a light source, a hgh powered laser is over kill and more importantly, dangerous. To many reflective surfaces.

5mW power was more than enough to to light the laundry and finish the washing.

Don't try and hold a laser pointer in your mouth AND use your teeth to hold the button on. Tape the button first and try not to drool too much. This is where another advantage of a 5mW that comes into play. No duty cycle so i took my time to finish.

One more day in the life of a laserist.

stevetexas

Newly Enlightened
Agreed. I still have a few low powered units of known output and they are very useful when making sure your meter is accurately calibrated. They are also fun to show others for the WOW factor when they've never seen a laser beam (then you show them a 200mW model...) And for astronomy, you don't want one too powerful or it will saturate your rods and ruin your night vision.

Also, great to let a novice use so they can learn to handle it safely.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I use low power only. Presentations and such. Works perfectly well and no one needs to worry.

dr_lava

Enlightened
Funny you mention this, occasionally I do use a 20-30mW shining on the ceiling, it illuminates the room quite adequately.

SenKat

Enlightened
I love it ! I have used my low power lasers as torches before, too ! You wanna see a neat light show ? Have your kid - or someone else in your house - forget to dispose of the cellophane wrapper for a DVD, and leave it on top of the entertainment center. now, take your low-powered laser - any color, take your pick - and shine it from a distance on the discarded wrapper. WOW ! NICE show ! :naughty:

So, because my darling daughter forgot that wrapper, I found that out one night, bored - shining the low power greenie on "stuff" around the house, when everyone else was out cold ! :grin2: