Need Help From Antique Edged Weapons Collectors

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I need some advice. I have 3 different antique African tribal spears. These came from an estate of a hunter who brought them back from Africa, in the 1950's. These are true edged weapons, hand-forged by highly skilled native metal workers, used for hunting, defense, and warring. These are the real deal, not "souvenir, ceremonial, or tourist" junk made for resale. These 3 weapons are museum-grade quality, and in excellent condition.

• Masai lion spear. This huge spear is 7 feet long, with a blade nearly 4 feet in length. It was used for killing large dangerous animals like lions and elephants. It weighs over 5 pounds. All 3 sections are intact (blade, handle, tail). This is the largest, nicest Masai spear I have ever seen.
  • Zulu spear. About 6'10" long, with about a 10 " blade. Made to be thrown, much lighter than the Masai spear.
  • African spear, unknown origin. About 5'6" long, with a 10" blade.
I also have a zebra skin from the same estate. I would like to sell these items but am not sure where to go and what they are worth. Can anyone steer me to some good sources of information about these things?

highorder

Enlightened
call someone at the Field Museum of Natural History. they must have an expert in African artifacts.

oregon

Enlightened
Lightmeup said:
I would like to sell these items but am not sure where to go and what they are worth. Can anyone steer me to some good sources of information about these things?

Bernard Levine is on the short list of the most erudite edged weapons experts in the world today. He lives in Eugene, Oregon. I was fortunate to speak with him at OKCA last Saturday.

His site, pay for information: http://www.knife-expert.com/

His forum at Bladeforums, everyone gets a crack at ya (post a picture right off the bat): http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=691

Sounds like you scored. Zulu to you too.

oregon