what makes a HDS EDC so good???

2jzpower

Newly Enlightened
i've seen how much HDS lights go far and everyone's always all over them...

what makes them so special???
output doesn't seem to be that high for the price...
i can see quality but quality can only go so far....

anyone want to educate me??

Norm

Retired Administrator
Quality product in every respect and 100% manufacturer support.
Norm

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
These guys took time to do things right. They measured each individual light's lumens and made adjustment up or down to the power level. Also, they invented a new way to optimize the 20 different brightness levels without tint or flicker problems.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
2jzpower said:
so they're "out the light" lumens and guarenteed instead of emitter lumens?

Yes.

They have become defence contractors. They are supposed to come out with a new light this summer. I think it is going to be 120 lumens out the front on the highest level. With the HDS you get 20 levels of brightness, plus other features like flashing light, etc.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of things that make it good. It has 4 different programmable light levels. There is an options menu for stuff like SOS, Strobe, and automatic turn off (not part of regular user interface). It automatically steps down to lower levels when battery is starting to run low. Very tough light. Excellent beam. Overall build quality is great. Some have said that it is too complicated to use but that is a personal thing. I figured out how to use it in about 10 minutes. I think you would have to use one to really appreciate it.

2jzpower

Newly Enlightened
ooooooooo 120 lumens out the front!! that's going to be something if it's still going to be a small light

i feel my wallet tensing up lol

to my knowlage i thought surefire's lumen claims were out the front too right?

JJohn

Enlightened
For me... the bottom line is I can configure the light the way I want it, the way I use it. And, I can count on it to work perfectly in any situation. It is amazingly reliable and well designed with every aspect being well thought out.

You can look at lesser lights and just tell that they were not designed by engineers who really use lights everyday and in many different environments.

I'll never forget a night wildlife observation trip I did with my HDS U60. The naturalist carried a C cell sized maglight. I had my little HDS. I kept it at a nice low level for hiking. Several people commented that it was perfect for that kind of thing. They didn't lose all night vision capability yet could safely walk through the woods. Well the hike went at least 90 minutes longer than it was supposed to go. At the end we heard a large animal moving parallel to our path. She shined her maglight at it and we could see nothing. The batteries had really started to sag. I said let me see if I can tell what it is. Three quick clicks and the U60 went to high and it easily illuminated a mule deer doe about 30 yards away. Everyone looked at this little light and said, "how did you do that?"

aceo07

Enlightened
HDS is respected for their quality in construction and design.

Each light is measured and set for their specified lumens. HDS 60 will output 60 lumens and the HDS 42 will have 42 lumens. This has been proven and the error is about -+ 2 lumens. Each of the 19/20 possible level settings are also supposed to be set for specific lumens.

On the HDS U60, set it to be level 1 and you get 60lumens, level 2 for 42lumens, level 3 for 30lumens. Each level is spaced so that you can actually tell the difference between each level.

The construction is really good. There's a thread with pictures of an HDS that had been thrown against ground many many times and it stills works.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I've had lots of torches and if I had to give them all away but one, I would keep my HDS EDC B42, even though it's not the brightest or latest tech. Why?

Great UI: Extremely flexible and useful electronics. The UI can be as simple or as complicated as you'd like. 20 light levels, strobe, locator flash, auto poweroff, tactical mode etc. Don't want these features? Program them out of the UI.

Thoughtful design: Steps down to prevent over depletion of RCR123, and to prevent LED overheating.

Very high quality construction: Built like an absolute tank. Switch feels (and is) extremely reliable.

Great beam and tint: Simply the most flawless beam and tint of any of my torches. The lumens figures are actually true too - my 42 lm EDC is definitely brighter than several torches rated at 50-70 lm by the manufacturers.

Like every other EDC owner I drool at the thought of the new HDS/Novatac on the horizon. It'll be great to marry HDS legendary quality and attention to detail with the latest developments in LED technology.

Robban

Enlightened
I don't have much to add to what has already been said. It's all true and I agree with everything said so far regarding the interface and feel of the light. For me one of the biggest reasons I love it is because it's the first flashlight I haven't been afraid of dropping. It has slammed into concrete a few times now and it still looks like new and works perfectly.

And if you want more output you can always change the LED to a Seoul. I did and I'm very happy with the increase in output.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Robban said:
I don't have much to add to what has already been said. It's all true and I agree with everything said so far regarding the interface and feel of the light. For me one of the biggest reasons I love it is because it's the first flashlight I haven't been afraid of dropping. It has slammed into concrete a few times now and it still looks like new and works perfectly.

And if you want more output you can always change the LED to a Seoul. I did and I'm very happy with the increase in output.
Same here - a lot of people are driven by paper performance figures, which are usually exaggerated. Every time I get a new light (e.g: L2D) I compare it with my U60. It has a pure white, unblemished beam that still holds up well. I don't have to worry about it overheating (due to thermal regulation) or what kind of bettery (takes anything 123-sized). So let's be seeing the new ones! Can't wait!

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
2jzpower said:
i've seen how much HDS lights go far and everyone's always all over them...what makes them so special???...anyone want to educate me??

I've never owned one, but was able to examine one closely and then use it while collecting firewood. I've also read a lot about the HDS lights here on CPF.

My best guess is that HDS lights would appeal to those who appreciate function over form. To those who value superb design and build quality over having the latest, greatest emitter and bling styling. To those who value reliability and usability over sheer brightness.

My impression is that HDS was the most advanced, refined production light available. Hopefully, it will be again.

The designer didn't miss a trick with these lights - everything about the final models was superbly thought out and executed.

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
Because the HDS can be chucked 200 times against solid concrete and STILL work. heheh :D

cslinger

Enlightened
Because it really is the best at what it does. Quality, support, honest marketing, Quality, UI, programable, great beam, QUALITY, durable as all get out, long run times on very useable levels, very low levels of light available and did I mention QUALITY.

The fact is any HDS EDC 42 lumens, 60 lumens or 85 lumens is head and shoulders above even the current crop of competition such as the Fenix P1/P2D etc. I love my P2Ds and L1D-CE etc. but my two HDS lights are still in a class all their own.

My guess is the Novatac 120 will OWN the competition.

Patriot

Flashaholic
They are robust and beautifully overbuilt without being obnoxiously bulky like some lights. They are unique and fall into their own little cozy class. I like my Surefires and Fenixs, but HDS lights are special and less common. I think they have more character. :)

Aepoc

Enlightened
I used to be the proud owner of an HDS EDC Ultimate 60. This light went with me everywhere. My favorite trick was to turn it on and put in my drink... made for good conversation at the bar. I also really enjoyed throwing it around... I would turn the light on and then toss it into a show bank... lit up the whole bank.

Losing this light is one of the worst things that a flashaholic can think of. I got a PD to replace it and I like it, but I really can't wait until the new ones are released. I already have the bills saved.

This light has everything going for it: Durability, Usability, High Output, Style... I really miss the locater beacon as well... best one I have come across.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about the lens kit. In the unlikely event you scratch the lens it is very easy to replace. And the ability to reprogram the Basic models was the "Pièce de résistance ."

I love my B42XRGT. It's my trail light and I'm an incan-man by nature. When space is at a premium, my B42 and a converted match carrier holding 2 spare CR123's is the perfect survival light IMHO.