Arc 2 AAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
Following up on this thread

I, for one, would love a 2AAA version. I wonder how the runtime would change.

I use flashlights for outdoor uses in circumstances where I need small weight for light and spares, and general availability. So for me the only options that I would like to consider are 1xAAA, 2xAAA, 1xAA, 2xAA (although my present high-power option right now is a Tec40). I see a 2AAA arc as a really valuable choice, probably superior to my Arc AAA and my Ultra G.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging from my experience with my DB / ARC AAA mod, unless you changed the circuit or added an external resistor the ARC head would quickly burn out using fresh alkalines.

Using NiMH or NiCd or well depleted alkalines you should be OK with this configuration.

For more info on my test results, LOOK HERE

John Frederick

Enlightened
Give it 3 LEDs, a dimmer switch, and FULL regulation and let her rip!
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I know if you built a 2 AAA or better yet a 2 AAAA version it would sell. A lot of the people in the medical field who have the Streamlight Stylus and the only complaint I hear is that it is a bit long. I think ideally it would be a 2 AAAA light for size reasons, but the 2 AAA might go over better due to longer life and much more common batteries.

I can grantee you it would become my wife's favorite light.

MarcV

Enlightened
I'm not so sure I want my doctor to use his off hand to turn the flashlight on, especially by touching the business end of the light. I suspect my doctor wouldn't want to risk his glove integrity on the sharp knurling on my ARC AAA, either.

But a 2xAAA with the Stylus tailswitch arrangement and less aggressive surface would be a winner. If something like that is in the offing, Peter will need somebody who can contact all the medical supply houses. It should be very popular with them.

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
My vote would be for a AAAA size head that will operate from .6 to 4 volts.

Normal battery pack would be 2AAAA with a momentary tailcap switch and constant on with the head all the way tight.

Optional pack would be single AAAA with no switch (for that 3rd battery from the Stylus).

The Mod Men could make make single N, single and double AAA and other packs that would load batteries thru a removable tailcap.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now a tail switch is an excellent idea. The problem is, we do not have the engineering cycles free for the next 6 months. As you know, we already have a big project.

If anything was possible anytime in the near future, it would be a simple 2AAA pack threaded to fit the AAA head. This pack wold be identical to the current AAA pack but simply stretched in length. The knurl, color, tail lug, etc would all remain identical.

Of course this is all contingent on if the LED is going to be fine with the additional current. Further testing is required. We will not tackle this is there is insufficient interest.

Peter

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter - Please keep us posted. If you can give positive confimation that the LED/circuit is OK with 2 cells, this would open a host of possibilities.

I would like to see the ARC AAA in a "Penlight" configuration with (eventually) a tail switch. Could have a lot of potential....

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Gransee:
Now a tail switch is an excellent idea. The problem is, we do not have the engineering cycles free for the next 6 months. As you know, we already have a big project.

If anything was possible anytime in the near future, it would be a simple 2AAA pack threaded to fit the AAA head. This pack wold be identical to the current AAA pack but simply stretched in length. The knurl, color, tail lug, etc would all remain identical.

Of course this is all contingent on if the LED is going to be fine with the additional current. Further testing is required. We will not tackle this is there is insufficient interest.

Peter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would definately purchase several 2 x AAA in this configuration. Same casing, just streched long enough to accept the additional cell.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely purchase several 2xAAA bodies if you can verify the electronics will handle that.

Question -- can the electronic part be put on the opposite end of the batteries from the LED?

IF SO -- if you could produce just a fat-tailcap for the existing Stylus, a TAILcap that included the Arc electronics, that screwed in and out or included a switch, that'd be a very fine tool for medical use.

For that matter, the same applies to mods for the Common Aluminum 2xAAA and 2xAA brand lights -- if the tailpiece can be replaced with an electronics module. I don't know if it has to be attached right to the LED or can be at the other end.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I would LOVE about three 2 AAA ARCs. Just to start
smile.gif
By the way, will a 2AAA mini-mag body work? I don't have one to try.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Gadgetman7:
.....By the way, will a 2AAA mini-mag body work?....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">By design or coincidence, the MiniMag 2AAA tailcap is the same diameter and thread as the ARC AAA head although the threaded portion is much shorter than on the ARC battery tube. It would require some modification to make everything work right, but the 2AAA MiniMag could be modded to give you a 2AAA ARC.

Trust me though- you don't want to run an ARC AAA on two alkalines in series (as I mentioned above).

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by camisdad:
Following up on this thread

I, for one, would love a 2AAA version. I wonder how the runtime would change.

I use flashlights for outdoor uses in circumstances where I need small weight for light and spares, and general availability. So for me the only options that I would like to consider are 1xAAA, 2xAAA, 1xAA, 2xAA (although my present high-power option right now is a Tec40). I see a 2AAA arc as a really valuable choice, probably superior to my Arc AAA and my Ultra G.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Same here, exactly.

While I carry the ARC now, it would be nice to have something in a small form factor with 8-12 hours of nice light. I sometimes to emergency work where it would be nice to have a little light that I could leave on the entire time I'm working. The infinity does that, but 2-AAA is a way better form factor than 1-AA. 1-AA is clunky to me, 1-AAA is great, 2-AAA would be sweet.

But it has to last longer than the 1-AAA! Maybe have a head with a different up converter, that just drew less current at the higher voltage? Then you could also use it with a 1-AAA body for the same runtime but less light (A mini-infinity! (sorry)) Kinda like SureFire does with the 123 lights - two speeds.

For consumers, just market as a 2-AAA light. Same brightness, twice the runtime. Only we flashlight geeks would know that you could mix and match to get a brighter 2-AAA, or a longer running 1-AAA by switching heads. (Plus, your LS is the bright light, lets not screw up the ARC-AAA, its brightness is just fine.)

Peter, if you market this one I'd like one with my name engraved on the side.
smile.gif

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
I agree w/ Albany Tom - more runtime would be a huge plus for this light.

I'd buy at least a couple if they were available.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
Making a 2 AAA light, where the batteries are in PARALLEL is a real ***** and a half... Unless you engineer a cradle like the Surge or something.

Sure, you could bleed away extra current with a resistor, but I think that PG would shoot himself first.

BTW: I don't think the AAAA Arc would be a good idea, since the head is pretty crammed as it is. So, you would have a twiggy style body with an An dre the giant head.

Let's not go there.

Rifter

Enlightened
I would buy it in a heartbeat!!!! I hope they go with this, they have to be able to make money on it. a tail switch would be a good idea too.

hoss

Newly Enlightened
Count me in also... I would love to have a double AAA Arc with a clip to keep in my shirt pocket...I think most people have enough crammed in their pockets what with keys, change, other odds and ends, etc. without keeping a small flashlight in there also.
Seems like doctors, technicians, tradesmen would all be prospective consumers for this kind of light.
Hope you seriously consider this project Peter - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts