Arc LE waterproofing Epoxy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsaber

Newly Enlightened
I am about to begin the procedure to correct the flickering problem with my Arc LE. I have read the details found under the AAA Maintenance which reads : " Next, I used a soldering iron to soften up the black potting epoxy. We use this epoxy at the during manufacturing to seal the head and make it waterproof. It is normal to have a thin layer on the back of the PCB. It softens with heat so I use the iron to remove the large chunks (if any). "
I am concerned about destroying the waterproofing integrity of this great flashlight. I realize that the "O" ring seal acts as the main barrier against water but I don't want to compromise any of the features that make this so great.
Can anyone address this for me? Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
I can!

Don't you worry about it. There really isn't much you can do to ruin the sealed electronics in the head. Short of drilling through the thing, I haven't been able to do it, that's for sure. Quite seriously, nothing you'll do to prevent the flicker will effect the waterproofness of the head. By flowing the epoxy a bit, you might even make it BETTER.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Darrel is right.

Even if you re-liquefied all the epoxy in the head, there is still a front o-ring to keep it off the LED. It should hurt neither the electronics nor the optics. Only if you drilled through the pcb-board on the back or started destroying traces might function be impaired.
I wouldnt recommend that level of machining as a viable alternative for standard crimp-fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.