Request: pics of 2 cell lights in your hand

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
I sometimes have trouble grasping the size of a light simply from the specs. For example, when I got my big Q-III I was surprised at how small it is, even though I already had the Q-III! So I was wondering if some with 2 cell lights would be willing to post some pics of their lights in their hand, open, closed, whatever you think best displays the size of the light. :popcorn: This might help me decide what to buy next. In general, I'm looking for the brightest light in the smallest form factor, multiple levels are a plus, but not absolutely necessary.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of lights once in hand are surprisingly small compared to seeing them in pictures. For a long time I thought some nice custom lights commonly seen here were much bigger than they actually are. And I had seen pics of them in hand and even next to other lights I knew. So pics can be deceiving and especially since hand sizes can vary a great deal. But I do think many of the comparison pics where you have several lights next to each other with some commonly known sizes can help a lot. The brightest light in the smallest form factor - hmmmm - Draco comes to mind, Orb Raw, NS and several other Orb made lights. I've got a Jil FluPic modded light that's right up there too in size/brightness. And the new HDS/Novatac will be right up there with many levels and features.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marcus Aurelius said:
I sometimes have trouble grasping the size of a light simply from the specs....This might help me decide what to buy next.

Something that works well for me:

1. Look up length of light from specs.

2. Use a pencil to put a mark on the edge of a piece of paper, then use a ruler to measure out a distance along the edge of the paper corresponding to the actual length of the light from its specs and put a second pencil mark.

3. Bring up a pic of the light on your monitor and hold the marked paper edge flat to the screen along the long axis of the light.

4. Use the increase/decrease size option of your browser or image viewer to match the length of light in pic to the marks on the paper.

5. Hold your hand up flat to the monitor screen to compare to size of light.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marcus Aurelius said:
I sometimes have trouble grasping the size of a light simply from the specs....

When considering a flashlight for purchase, I cut a wooden dowel of the proper diameter to the same length as the light. I use the dowel as a mockup to test for fit in my hand and holsters.

Here is one mockup I created before buying an Inova T1:

t1-dowel-mockup.jpg

edc3

Enlightened
Great idea parnass!

Marcus Aurelius, here are a couple of my two cell lights.

Wolf Eyes 6AX Sniper

sniper_inhand.jpg

sniper_inhand2.jpg

Inova X03

x03_inhand.jpg

x03_inhand2.jpg

Dobbler

Enlightened
sejvaar said:
What kind of throw does that dowel have? :D

Depends on the material of the dowel, but I'd bet I could throw that one there about 80 meters :)

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
Thanks edc3. The wolf eyes light seems like a great size--this is a prime example of a light that, from a picture alone, I would have thought was much bigger. Anyone have pictures of the U2 clones from Kai/DX?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tri-Lux A3 head with RCR123 x1 body:

inhand.jpg

Same head with 2xRCR123 body, compared to a 2D-mag-mod and MagCharger:

SweetyBrotherMagcharger.jpg

Best regards

____
Tom

Patriot

Flashaholic
parnass said:
When considering a flashlight for purchase, I cut a wooden dowel of the proper diameter to the same length as the light. I use the dowel as a mockup to test for fit in my hand and holsters.

Here is one mockup I created before buying an Inova T1:

t1-dowel-mockup.jpg

What, no tungsten bolt installed down the middle to simulate the correct weight too....c'mon Parnass!

Just kidding with ya. That's an interesting idea.

edc3

Enlightened
It's a great size. It fits in my back pocket nicely. And with the D26 Cree lamp assembly, it packs some punch. :rock:

Marcus Aurelius said:
Thanks edc3. The wolf eyes light seems like a great size--this is a prime example of a light that, from a picture alone, I would have thought was much bigger. Anyone have pictures of the U2 clones from Kai/DX?

KnOeFz

Enlightened
Marcus Aurelius said:
... Anyone have pictures of the U2 clones from Kai/DX?

This is the Eastward YJ from DealExtreme... (actually a 1 cell light (1x18650))

u2-4018.JPG

u2-4019.JPG

u2-4020.JPG

Note: I have small hands... :tinfoil:

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Excel.

Apple iMac.

Setup on screen is exactly same size as printout on A4...

ie 0.5cm on page column setup is 0.5cm when printed onto A4.

Last edited:

Latest posts