ArmyTek
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Titanium McGizmo mini-clips..........

Enlightened

Default Titanium McGizmo mini-clips..........

I love those McGizmo's stainless steel mini-clips. I wish there's another choice,
    the Titanium version. Don't you all agree with me ?

Default Re: Titanium McGizmo mini-clips..........

Ti would be cool, but even cooler would be a clip that was guaranteed not to come off by itself, but still easily released--a new innovation.

Enlightened

New inovation + mini-clip size + Titanium + $20~$30 each. How about that.

If it'll insure that my Draco won't come off when I don't want it to, sure, I'd pay that.

Enlightened

Who should I ask ? Mr.McGizmo ? or Berkley Point ?

If this is about mini-clip in Titanium, without any new inovation. Then, there's got to be some sort of minimum order..... I do not think changing the material to Titanium wouldn't be a serious problem, other than the price. I am just guessing though.

Do you have any good idea about new inovation part ? So far, there is only me and Trashman interested.

I really think the Ti small clips would sell like hot cakes.

Enlightened

A tiny additional lock to mini-clip....... or make that spring ?? part to be a little stronger. perhaps.....

If the gate is made narrower or the same width of the frame then this design shall be better. As it is, there is a fault with the gate being wider. At an angle, it will automatically open with less force......my 02 cents.
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

Japanese,

I have commented on these in Ti before. YES, I too would love to see some!!! I have put out feelers for a couple years now trying to find a source but to no avail. PK told me sometime last year that he had found a source to do these in Ti but to my knowledge, nothing ever came of it.

As to the safety of the gate, it is what it is and just needs to be understood. The best small clip in Ti I have found was a knock off of the small Wichard snap shackle that a company in the Urkraine did. They never brought it into their production line up. I snagged a hand full of them through a manufacturer/ importer (Suncor) I worked for at the time who had a relationship with this manufacturer. It is the same company who made a few proto type and small run of Ti-Biners for us. I went so far as to get a provisional patent on this design but due to slow response from the manufacturer in the Ukraine and a lack of momentum, the project died. There was a large distributor interested in a stainless version of the clip but funding never happened.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don, not that you need the extra ideas, but (somehow) incorporating a swivel to the base of your SS clips would make *killer* attachments!

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Berkeley Point has the Ti locking carabiners here.

Per a past discussion with BP, they're made in the Ukraine.

I know they're not the small McGizmo clips, but just wanted to comment on Don's post about about the Ti locking biners.

john

Green,
    If the clip needs to swivel then it needs to swivel, plain and simple. However if the clip does have a swivel, apart from the added cost and need for the swivel to be well designed and implimented, the clip becomes that much more ungainly to attach and remove; especially if it is a small clip! I don't pretend to have all the answers here but I have spent a great deal of time on the questions and in search of the answers!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hmmmm....I think miniatures of the "existing biners" (see McGizmo's prototype link) would do just fine, especially the Ti and SS ones.

Enlightened

Mr.McGizmo,

Thank you so much for your comment regarding to Ti mini-clip ( dream ).
    I reacently bought a small Ti quick link here in Japan. Not as small as a great mini-clip, but it is small. I think it is the same one that Berkley Point sells. This online store ( maker ?) also has some McGismo mini-clips ( Looks the same ?). It's in Japanese, but please take a look.

Ti quick link

http://www.mizumoto-mm.co.jp/parts_j/Tih_.html

McGizmo mini clip

http://www.mizumoto-mm.co.jp/parts_j/MPW_.html

Enlightened

Japanese,

Mizumoto is a good company to work with and I approached them years ago with my mini clip series design ideas to partner and source the clips for me. This is not information I was inclined to be public about but it seems an explaination might be expected.

They make nice Ti chain and I think they have some propriatary tricks in the welds of the chain. They KNOW I am always looking for a Ti clip!

Enlightened

Hi Mr.McGizmo,

I thought they are copying without permission......

No wonder.

Yes, I noticed the cool Ti chain too.

Any way, I want that clip in Ti too !!!!!

Agreed ... some of those in to would be a blast
    With the appropriate chain in ti ...
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Super Moderator

I'm with you - I would love some of these clips in Ti, and some chain too (the Mizumoto chain looks nice but the links are too large for a keychain.) The only small-gauge Ti chain I've found is from jewellery suppliers.

As to the question of the clips detaching themselves, this can only happen if the ring they are attached to is too thin. If you use a ring which the clip can only just fit on, it then CANNOT come unclipped by accident.

The photo below shows a Ti ring (you may be able to see the “Titan” marked on it) which is perfect for the largest of the 4 sizes of clip. I got the ring from Berkeley Point:
    http://www.berkeleypoint.com/product...wholering.html
    There are 3 sizes – the one in this photo is the smallest (1.25in dia):

Last edited by DM51; 04-27-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    Resistance is futile...

Enlightened

I've just sent an email to Mizumoto company regarding to " Would there ever be any Ti mini clips in the future ? If not why ?

A workable locking feature on a clip barely 1cm end to end might be a bit too much to ask for. Here's an old trick from the days before there were locking 'biners... I use it for my Draco - two reversed clips. Does the trick, no worries.

As one of the lucky owners of Don's "limited production" Suncor Ti carabiners I can say without reservation that they'd be better in Titanium!

Although not a 'mini clip', this Ti creation works very well with the mini clips I have. About $3.00 each from Countycomm.com

David............................................. "A few of my Home Built lights"

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Japanese
    I've just sent an email to Mizumoto company regarding to " Would there ever be any Ti mini clips in the future ? If not why ?
    Did they reply yet?
    Resistance is futile...

DM51,

The folks at Mizumoto know I have a standing interest in any Ti clip source they may come across. I don't know if they have replied yet but I do know from very recent communications that they still have not found any such source.

Enlightened

No reply yet.........

McGizmo mini clips in Ti.... PLEASE !!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo
    DM51,
    The folks at Mizumoto know I have a standing interest in any Ti clip source they may come across. I don't know if they have replied yet but I do know from very recent communications that they still have not found any such source.
    Thanks, McG. Who makes the SS ones? Couldn't they be persuaded to do a run in Ti if enough people show interest?
    Resistance is futile...

Super Moderator

I've just had a look at Berkeley Point, and they do a "Gate Snap" in Ti, which has a similar torsion-spring gate mechanism to the McG mini-clip:
    http://www.berkeleypoint.com/product.../gatesnap.html

However they are quite large. They come in 2 sizes, ~2" ($34.94) and ~3" ($36.95).

The point is, someone is making these, and they might be persuaded to make Ti mini-clips. The price of these Ti gate-snaps gives an indication of what a Ti mini-clip might cost. Even though one is 1.5x larger than the other, there isn't much difference in price, so a McG mini-clip might be $25 or maybe more – about 6x more than a SS one.
    Resistance is futile...

Dang,

My response didn't take. Try again....

The present sources for these various clips HAVE been approached for small Ti versions to no avail. The search is still on..................

Hi guys,
    An update. The egg hasn't hatched yet but there is an egg. On an off the wall flier, I inquired after a Ti clip from a good and helpful source I have even though such a part is way beyond their focus. As a result, I anticipate some Ti proof of concept or first articles next week. I started this off with a 26 mm long clip based roughly on the stainless steel "micro" clip. From e-mail communications back and forth, I have become very optimistic that the factory does know what they are doing and I am hopeful that this egg will in fact hatch.........

The first article will be a Ti body with stainless steel gate. The factory doesn't have the Ti wire yet. I am insisting on an all Ti part even though the cost is greater just for the little wire gate. It has been my experience that a good Ti alloy spring gate has better snap to it than that of stainless steel and of course the superior resistance to corrosion.

I will keep you posted on this.

Excellent news!

If you need any "beta testers", let me know!

Super Moderator

That's very good news indeed - many thanks. And my apols for being a pest about it before.
    Resistance is futile...