Are there no Tiny Gas Lanterns?

jtice

Flashaholic
Was thinking of buying a tiny gas lantern for my up and coming vacation this year.
I have a dual mantel white gas Coleman lantern, and love it. Lot of light, great runtime.

I was looking today for a single mantel, tiny one, but couldnt find one.
Does such a thing not exist?

I am basically after something like the Osram or Brinkman lanterns,
but brighter, and gas (white gas, gasoline, camping fuel) powered.

Thanks
~John

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
John-

I do not know of any liquid fuel lanterns that small. The smallest I know of is the Coleman Peak 1. I do not have one.

Part of the limitation is the need to have a fuel tank that is big enough to give decent runtime, has a pump and the other plumbing needed for a lantern.

I have a coleman 286 which is the standard traditional one mantle lantern. I car camp, so this size is not an issue.

The smallest one mantle lantern that I know of is propane. Century Lantern.
The lantern is small, but needs a 16 oz. propane bottle.

Mark

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This place may give you some ideas.

There are a lot of compact canister lanterns, but check out the Coleman Exponent if you want to stay with white gas. It's a single mantle.

Paul

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks alot for the input guys.

As I was afraid of, it seems there are no small single mantel ones that run off white gas.
There are some nice ones that use fuel tanks, and propane tanks, but then the tank is the big part.

Oh well, guess I will stick to LEDs for this purpose then ;)

~John

CLHC

Flashaholic

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my post isn't going to give any *solid* information, but it should give you some hope. A few years back (maybe, as much as 5 years), Biglots actually had a really small single mantle lantern that ran off of butane. I believe it used one of those butane tanks that the portable single burner stoves use. I can't remember, though, if it was a recharged, or if the tank sat inside the enclosed base. The unit was perfectly cylindrical, from the base to the top (and even). I'd say it was only about 3 - 3.5" in diameter and about 11" tall. So, keep looking, because THEY are out there! I wish I would have bought one. I kept looking at it and wanting it, just because it was so cool, but I didn't see any need for it because I had a two mantle Coleman. It was $19.99 and the box it came it was just big enough to fit the lantern. It was orange, too.

Edit: I just checked eBay--not there. There is this (link), though, which isn't quite the same, but it's similar and appears to function the same way, with the electric ignition and all. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Brunton-Glo...ryZ36112QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit2: Oh, it looks like the above poster just mentioned it!

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
CHC said:

The description in the second link states the the output is 10 candle power. Does that sound a bit low to anyone else?

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks alot for the links guys ! :thumbsup:

The Excursion, and that Brunton were ones I saw before,
and as far as form factor and size, they are great !
But, I am not all that sure about using butane :(
I suppose its not a big deal, and would be less messy to refill for sure.
but I need to look around to see if I can get the fuel tanks locally, and at a good price.

I can get the white gas and propane tanks locally, even at walmart.
I have propane tanks on hand for a torch that I have, but never tried them for lighting or cooking.
I like that one single mantel that goes on top them, that seems nice and small.
But, then it goes on that bulky propane tank lol.

I may have to get one of those small butane ones sometime though, they do look nice!

Thanks
~John

Blacklight

Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
The description in the second link states the the output is 10 candle power. Does that sound a bit low to anyone else?

It is about 80 lumens, last I tested.

Blacklight

Enlightened

Blacklight

Enlightened
if you are going to be going into extreme cold weather, remember, white gas has better performance than butane or propane, and costs cents an hour to run (I was blown away at the efficiency, when we did the testing).

jtice

Flashaholic
Hmm, do you think that single mantel Coleman is worth it?
Is it small enough to warrant getting if I have the dual mantel version already?

That new butane Coleman looks nice, I still need to see if I can get the refill cans locally.
If I can, and they arent $$$$$, I may grab one of those also.
Sad thing is, I have led lights that are about that size or smaller, than are just as bright.
So it wouldnt be filling a nitch all that well.

Nothing beats a nice dual mantel Coleman for output, it will LIGHT up a campsite.
I have absolutely loved mine, just trying to get a nice output to size ratio in a smaller package.

~John

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Nuwai website, they've got new LED lanterns. I think one of them uses 3 or 5 Cree or Seoul LEDs. Those might make some of these pointless.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me see if I can find it. I actually saw them in a link I got from here (CPF).

Ok, I'm back! I found it. I don't know why I thought it was 3 Crees, though. It looks like they may only have 1 Cree. There are three of them, and the brighter ones (D and C batteries) claim 176 lumens. (130 for the smaller, 3AA powered one)

I couldn't find it on the Nuwai site, either, but it's there, somewhere, because some CPFer located it. It's a PDF, here -->http://www.nuwai.com.tw/new_products/2007_03_FL.pdf

They look pretty slick! I don't know why, but based on looks, the C powered one has me interested Ooooo, and just check out that headlamp!

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
ohhhhhhhh hey those look promising :D
Saw a 3xAAA one the other day, and was thinking how much of a waste that was.
The 3xAA version should be nice.
And the 3xD should have killer runtime.

Looks like these might not be out for a while though,
eh, maybe next years camping trip ;)

~John