Any light similar to A2 but less $

uz2busmc

Newly Enlightened
Curious if there is any lights that share similar functions (LED and Incan.) as the A2 but a good bit cheaper.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are plenty of lights that have both incandescent and LED outputs but that is not what is special about the function of the A2.
Fundamental to the A2 is:
1) Regulated incandescent output.
2) Two stage switching between incandescent and LED outputs via the push button pressure switch TailCap.

If you merely want a flashlight with both LED and incandescent outputs then I'm sure that people will be able to show you various options. However, no other flashlight shares either of the fundamental functions of the A2 and therefore no flashlight is similar to the A2. There is no "cheap A2". That's my opinion.

Al

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, if you want the choice of LEDs or regulated incand in a single light, I think the A2 is it. Of course, if you don't mind running an unregulated incand, the Streamlight Twin Tasks are pretty decent lights. And Xenergy (might be off on the spelling) made a light similar to the 2x123 Twin Task, but had a more throw-oriented reflector for the Incand bulb. The Twin Task doesn't have nearly the throw of most dedicated 2x123 incand lights.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Not "cheap" but maybe the SF.B1R is one, though I don't think it's regulated.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Yes indeed, it isn't "incandescent," but I was thinking about the "similar to. . . " part. Nice to know that the SF.BR1 is regulated. But it's still waaay out of my league.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Another way to go would be an incandescent light with a LED tailcap. One example of this is the Wolf-Eyes 6TX Sniper with one of the available 4-LED tailcaps (red, white or blue). An advantage of this design is that the reflector doesn't have holes in it for the LEDs, resulting in better beam quality.

Glen C

Enlightened
I think the A2 is in a league of its own, quite different to most other offerings.

As George Paul says, with some of the other alternatives like a WE 6TX or 9TX, you get the better reflector but also have the choice of alternative lamps like the Lumens Factory lamps, really allows you to customise the flashlight to your needs.

The other small difference is a 6TX sells for A$50 in Aus, the A2 for $350.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper said:
streamlight Night com, not nearly as good as an A2, but led+incan at a fraction of the cost of an A2.
It's also a fraction of the quality. The incan is not very bright, splotchy, very yellow, even on new batteries. Reflector is cheap plastic and not very fixed in the optimal position. Leaks around the multi-switch, which is not overly stable and reliable, IMO. I still like the low-low red though... nice light for hobby astronomer.

There's really no alternative for the A2.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The Twin Tasks are absolutely not throwy...

That said they DO have an Incand and 3 LEDs.

If a bigger light would work, the Streamlight 3C XP/LED has much better throw and independent switching of leds and incan.

If you use adapters and AA Liths in it, it's a bit brighter with looooong shelf life.

highorder

Enlightened
elgarak said:
It's also a fraction of the quality. The incan is not very bright, splotchy, very yellow, even on new batteries. Reflector is cheap plastic and not very fixed in the optimal position. Leaks around the multi-switch, which is not overly stable and reliable, IMO. I still like the low-low red though... nice light for hobby astronomer.

There's really no alternative for the A2.

I can attest to this review of the nightcom. you said it all. the superlow red is nice though.

uz2busmc

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for the ressponses guys, I'll look into some of the lights mentioned

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

bridgman

Enlightened
The A2 is one of those unfortunate things which costs a bunch of money and seems to be worth every penny. Eventually I expect LED-only lights will be able to displace it for less money but IMO that hasn't happened yet -- and Atomic Chicken's nifty little add-in gizmo probably buys the A2 another couple of years without serious challengers.

I have to admit that my Z2 is holding up so well on its first set of batteries that I feel like I might be able to live without the regulation on the incandescent, but the ability to jump from floody LED to throwy incan is REALLY nice.

I'm kinda settling in on three lights which cover most of my needs -- an L1D-CE for EDC, a MagCharger 1160 for spotting predators before letting the dogs out at night, and an A2 for everything in between.