Holy CRAP, just got my Hocus Focus back from EngrPaul for a Seoul upgrade....

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
And this sucker is BRIGHT!

I'll try to take some beamshots tonight if I get a chance but just shining it at the ceiling next to my L2D-CE it blows it away. :drool:

I don't think I'll be buying anymore lights anytime soon. This thing throws quite a bit and the L2D has great side spill so I have the best of both worlds at the moment. Only thing thats gonna make me happy now is one of the Malkoff mags or the multi-emitter lights from Elektrolumens :touche: :laughing:

Thanks a TON Paul!

Last edited:

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Hey there, mate

I recently bought a LEDLENSER Hocus Focus and I am very impressed with its brightness using its stock-standard Led. If I can make it even brighter it might just become my favourite pocket sized led flashight. Can I ask what Paul's user name is and how much he charged you to upgrade?

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Photongun said:
Hey there, mate

I recently bought a LEDLENSER Hocus Focus and I am very impressed with its brightness using its stock-standard Led. If I can make it even brighter it might just become my favourite pocket sized led flashight. Can I ask what Paul's user name is and how much he charged you to upgrade?
His username is EngrPaul and he charged me $30 (that includes return shipping)

Well worth it imo. :)

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Aww thats unfortunate. Paul no longer excepts messages! Who else might I contact to get my Led Lenser upgraded with similar expertise? :(

soffiler

Enlightened
This mod is a piece of cake for someone who is already experienced with the following:

- soldering
- desoldering
- working with small but NOT microscopic parts/wires
- two-part thermally conductive epoxy
- strap wrench (usually needed to disassemble the head)

Here's hoping you can find someone around Sydney that's got the required expertise/experience. Finding someone local will avoid international shipping hassles.

When I did mine, I omitted the .015" thick copper disc found in EngrPaul's writeup. Instead I applied a thin but complete layer of thermal epoxy (Arctic Silver, in this case... Arctic Alumina is also very popular) to the underside of the Seoul emitter. This step prevents a short-circuit condition since the underside of the Seoul emitter is common with the (+) lead. Let the thin layer fully cure, which essentially "encapsulates" the underside to become nonconductive electrically, but still thermally conductive. Now simply use a second batch of epoxy to place the emitter where the old Lux used to be.

soffiler

Enlightened
jhempelayo said:
cant say anything bout the hokus focus but i cant wait to get the Cree LED LENSER
Hopefully next month

What are you talking about, jhempelayo? Can you elaborate on this Cree LED LENSER?

For the record, this thread is about the Hocus Focus (aka Coast 7438) and a Cree mod has been attempted with poor results. The optics are very, very specific for the Luxeon-type radiation pattern (which is shared by the Seoul P4). So I am guessing this is a completely different light from Coast aka LED LENSER.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Finally got to compare this light to a SLPP tonight.......geeeeez this thing totally blows it away in throw..........on the wide focus! :laughing:

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Photongun said:
I'm afraid I don't have the expertise, tools and dare I say intelligence to do the mod on my own. I would happily pay someone to do it though if they can replicate Pauls efforts.
PM user "FlashCrazy"

He offered to do my mod but I had already made arrangements with EngrPaul.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
Glad you're happy with it TQ :)
Hey I tried to PM you telling you thanks but you have them turned off or your PM box is full (fyi if thats the case) :)

Thanks a ton! Its gonna be awhile before I can afford a light that will put this one to shame :laughing: