this light claims 240 lum does anyone know if this is true

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
The flashlight is a MTE Z Power with a SSC P4 led, I have this flashlight but the 240 lumens rating is only a manufacturer claim, since I have many lights to compare with and this one is not the brightest I think you get about a little more than 110 lumens according to my perception.

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to mention that this flashlight is also available at http://www.dealextreme.com/ from where I have purchased this light. If you are looking for something small and bright why not try the Amilite T5 at www.amilite.co.kr or the P1D CE even the Huntlight FT 01 Cree all are good lights but are much more expensive than the MTE.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree this light puts out only 110 lumens, and also the one I got from www.dealextreme.com was defective where the SSC led turned blueish and dim. The Customer Service is getting bad for me where I been having alot of trouble getting a response back for defective items.
machoamigo said:
Forgot to mention that this flashlight is also available at http://www.dealextreme.com/ from where I have purchased this light. If you are looking for something small and bright why not try the Amilite T5 at www.amilite.co.kr or the P1D CE even the Huntlight FT 01 Cree all are good lights but are much more expensive than the MTE.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
200-240 lumens is the range for maximum output of the U-Bin Seoul LED, at maximum current, assuming unrealistically good heat sinking, as rated by Seoul. That's gross output and assumes no optical losses either, which in genreal are about 20-25% for an LED flashlgiht, 30-35% for incandescent (for reflector-based lights).

I'd say it's realistically putting out maybe 180 lumens from the emitter (since the emitter isn't in a cozy fan-cooled test rig), and with optical losses, around 145 out the front, initially. I believe that's where Kai tested the output -- but that's only initially, since it's direct drive it will quickly drop to more like 90-100 lumen output. Kai also tested runtime to 50% at 35 minutes.

I would stay away from this light -- just a direct drive with a big resistor that ends up wastign about half of the power. Switching the 5 ohm to a 1 ohm resistor and using a 17670 instead should double the battery life, but give the same irritating discharge curve.

Here are some lights that are much better in just about every respect (battery life, regulation, build quality, tint, and price):

Ultrafire C2 (HA-III version from Kai) -- I should be receiving this exact one pretty soon, it shipped last week. I have the original (black finish) and that was better build quality, and fairly well regulated if run on 2 cells. Biggest weakenss was the finish would scratch easily, which shouldn't be improved in the one I linked. Very good light for the mone, not as bright as the MTE to start, but better tint, more useful beam (IMO). $26

U2 Style This is another Cree flashlight sold by DX that a lot of people have liked. I never bought one myself but it apparently uses a boost driver, so it runs on 1x18650 only, and is very bright. Deep reflector should also be good for throw. $24.50

Semilar (from Kai) This is a small light (Fenix P1 sized) that has similar characteristics to the MTE light you're looking at. Brightness, and runtime should be similar, but this one is about 1/4th the size. People have liked this one as well as a cheap, ultra bright pocket light.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back up 2x on the U2 style Cree. I have one, and this is a very strong light. Heavy strong construction, and It runs on 1 18650....my favorite battery configuration- Real world 150 to 160 Lumens?

Last edited:

Yapo

Enlightened
FlashKat said:
I agree this light puts out only 110 lumens, and also the one I got from www.dealextreme.com was defective where the SSC led turned blueish and dim. The Customer Service is getting bad for me where I been having alot of trouble getting a response back for defective items.

Yeah...i ordered this light from DX and i got sent 1 with just a regular luxeon so i sent it back and asked for a ultrafire C2 instead but it still hasnt been shipped yet...i made the order over a month ago and still no light in my hands...and with Kai i made an order more than a week ago and its still says "collecting from suppliers" and i also tried out the new ticket system at DX which is suposedly meant to be replied within 24hrs but its been 3 days and still nothing...

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have the Super Bright SSC Power Glass lens 2-mode I also have this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1285 much brighter and nicer tint. If you do buy this light be sure to lift the star and make sure there is heat sink compound under it and the screws are nice and tight otherwise you may find the LED turns blue when it warms up.
Norm