W.E. D26 / SF 6P Pyrex isolation (Viton o-ring source)

Jackyl

Enlightened
I need to know the approx. diameter of the W.E. D26 Cree drop-in so I know approx. what size Viton o-rings to order to isolate it from the Pyrex lens. I'd imagine the diameter of the P60/P61 LA would work as well. Would someone be so kind as to take a quick measurement for me? Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Heck

Enlightened
Re: W.E. D26 or SF P60/61 diameter?

Yo guy, I think you're confused a bit as to how the WE Cree drop in is touching the lens. D26 = 26mm diameter and that's how most assemblies are, so your P60/P61, P90, P91, WE, Pila, Lumens Factory are all 26mm unless they are the D36 which also = 36mm.

As for the WE Cree drop in, if you look at the picture in the PTS dealer's thread, the ring that protrudes a few mm's behind, has a diameter of 26mm, but the outer "rim" is not and thus doesn't sit on the plastic ring in the SF bezel that usually isolates the assembly from the lens by 1mm or so. I don't know the exact size as I'm waiting for my replacement.

Also I see you're worried about the temp the o-rings can handle, If you're module is hovering around 200F for long, I think it's gonna go kaput before anything....

Jackyl

Enlightened

My plan was to put an o-ring on the outside of that inner ring to isolate it against the plastic rim in the bezel rather than to try to "float" one on top of that raised portion. I was going to order an assortment of Viton o-rings because my Nitrile o-rings only claim 175 degrees for short periods, and I don't have a very large selection to choose from. 26mm huh...would that be about the max diameter of the inside of the bezel then? Thanks!!!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heck/Jackyl:

After reading your posts a while back I decided to add an o-ring to isolate the LA from the lens. As you suggested, I "put an o-ring on the outside of that inner ring to isolate it against the plastic rim in the bezel rather than to try to "float" one on top of that raised portion".

I didn't measure it but went to ACE hardware and looked around until I found one that fit as described above. Seems to work fine, but no extended usage (15 mins or so max so far)...

Good luck

Jackyl

Enlightened

http://www.pspglobal.com

Just got off the phone with these guys. They are out of Colorado, very friendly and no minimum order.

I am getting Viton (high-temp and abrasion resistance as well and unequaled ozone tolerance) in 9 sizes:

1" O.D. x 1/8", 3/32", 1/16" cross section

7/8" O.D. x 1/8", 3/32", 1/16" C.S.

3/4" O.D. x 1/8", 3/32", 1/16" C.S.

The material is V1000 and here are the part #'s: (larger number = greater OD)

1/8" = -210 -208 -206
3/32" = -117 -115 -113
1/16" = -020 -018 -016

I imagine one of these will get the job done. How did yours turn out? If you find out what size it is, please post as will I as soon as my LA and o-rings show up.

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened

Jackyl, 1" = 25.4mm if that helps you. I have just measured a Wolf Eyes Cree drop in, the diameter is 26.8mm and the diameter of the smaller inside lip to place a O ring on is 24.2mm

Jackyl

Enlightened

Great, thanks Glen C!!! I'm surprised they drop so well into the 6P head being VERY slightly oversized.

Jackyl

Enlightened

FYI, PSP ended up wanting a minimum of 10 pieces per size order. The ONLY option I've found so far that allows individual sizes and no minimum is:

http://www.sealseastern.com

I'm waiting to hear back on price / availability.

Jackyl

Enlightened

UPDATE: Nevermind, SealsEastern fell through as well. No one will sell me Viton o-rings, respond to requested faxes, or even call me back. I'll post back WHEN I find someone who will.

Jackyl

Enlightened
Re: W.E. D26 / SF 6P Pyrex isolation

SUCCESS!!!

http://www.sealcompany.com/

Call: 1-888-732-5885

They are out of OK and welcome your business. They sell individual o-rings and stock most all of em. I got (9) black Viton o-rings for $8.13 + shipping.

Last edited:

Jackyl

Enlightened
FYI, ended up using a -016 Viton o-ring on top of the drop-in. It screws down almost all the way with very little gap.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance of pictures of your mod. I may end up trying this WE drop in in my M2, but after reading both threads I'm still not sure where it is necessary to use said o-rings. TIA

Jackyl

Enlightened
I just popped the o-ring onto the drop-in where it is recessed around the outer edge. I don't think it is necessary, but I just bought the 6PD bezel for his mod and didn't want to trash the lens in case a better fitting drop-in comes out from SF or somewhere else in the future.