Mr. Science freezes the Arc AAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, some un-named member who was afraid of sacrificing his OWN Arc AAA for the sake of science dared me. And that's usually all it takes.

Howdy Science fans. In an effort to momentarily distract Peter from his LS woes (and to maybe add some marketing ideas to his quiver), Mr. Science has performed yet another fun experiment with the awesome Arc AAA. I have used this light at 37,000 feet, I've used it at -40 feet. I've used it in 98% humidity and I've used it at 5% humidity. It has been in the washer, in the pool, in the ocean, in Lake Tahoe, up my daughter's nose and in the toilet. It has knocked my dog senseless, been hurled at a racoon at 30', it has been driven over with an EV (with a full tank of electrons, no less). So what else is left to do? Last night it was frozen IN A SOLID BLOCK OF ICE WHILE ON <queue theme music again please, Ryan>

This should be of special interest to McGizmo since it is about the widest, smoothest area light I've ever gotten out of one of these little guys. Somewhat of an Arc AAA Krill if you will. Wasn't much of a "beam pattern" to speak of, so you won't see any beam shots. As it was, this was quite difficult to photograph, as you can imagine.

I can now confidently say that 32 °F will not harm the Arc AAA, nor the battery contained within. The light was on for about three hours in the freezer, and then continued to run for another three hours after taking it out. There were no ill effects beyond wet, cold hands. One final note: This configuration does NOT EDC very well.... due mostly to the lanyard hole being obstructed by ice, but also because of the powered cooler in which you need to keep it packed. May be a more satisfactory EDC in Alaska than in Hawaii due to that last point.

freeze1.jpg

freeze2.jpg

freeze3.jpg

freeze4.jpg

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
very er cool
smile.gif

**EDIT** Ah ! Roy was too fast for me

Maybe Peter could use this idea to help with the heat problems with the LS3
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I would just like to note that I was *not* the person that was afraid to freeze my Arc...I just didn't want to go without it for that long, ya know waiting for it to freeze and then to defrost.

This is soooo cool though that I think I am going to have to do it. I'm going to do it in steam distilled water that will then be boiled to remove as much air from the resulting ice block as possible. Hmmm...lets see, better not do it tonight but Saturday should work.

Darell that's just plain awesome. Heh heh, I just remembered that I am, uhhh, able to access my dads allotment of webspace (He's not using it anyway) so shhhhh....but the theme song lives on here (Right click and hit "Save As..."

**EDIT**
2:23 PM...Just a sec, I ran into an "issue" so
I am re-uploading the song...

2:25 PM...I love cable internet...fixed!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Fixed. I decited to move the file in his webspace and I somehow managed to delete it so...yeah.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hey Mr. Science! Way cool!!!!!

I did a similar Sushi presentation with a MicroStar but that required outside power source! Looks like the the Arc AAA is destined for Ice sculptures and fun center pieces.

sushi2.jpg

So are you going to put your 5W turbo in a block of Ice :) He He

- Awed by Science

PS. Saaby, your theme song killed my Netscape three times in a row????????

Darell

Flashaholic
The variety of your extracarricular activities never ceases to amaze me. If you aren't swimming like a turtle under your surfboard, you're presenting sushi. You truly are a man of mystery.

5W turbo? I didn't think those could exist.
smile.gif
shhh. I'd need a bigger ice cube tray too.

Don - get with the program; be assimilated. Works great in IE!

Saaby

Flashaholic
shocked.gif
Sorry to hear that McGizmo. How were you downloading it though?? Right click and do "save as"

I'll just eMail it to you ok?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arcita...special order...rush delivery only.

Let`s see what else could we do...make a popcycle...bet kids would love that...naw better not. The nose test is ok...but not in the mouth.

Ken

Saaby

Flashaholic
Tried it, after about a week of shipping that way and 4,750 of the 5,000 AAAs shipped getting "lost" in the mail it was decited that, for theft precention purposes, packaging better be re-introduced.

While we're on the subject of Packaging kudos to Arc for, especially on the LS
wink.gif
, having easy to open packaging.

So remember, next time your Mailman is checking for pipe bombs in your mailbox with a bright, yet small flashlight, it's probably not his.

Yes, I am being policially correct--mailwomen wouldn't ever steel

If you are offended by any of this...I'll remove it.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Theme song was mixed by hand...it's smigins and clipits from some other short songs and fanfares. Glad you liked it, I don't care for it much myself but I am starting to think maybe that's just because I made it...[With the exception of flashlights, and maybe kids] nobody ever likes their own work.

SaintPaul

Newly Enlightened
It was I who was afraid to sacrifice (or NOT, as it turns out...) my AAA.

Maybe I'll try it now.

BTW, just heard a talk about the Space InfraRed Telescope Facility (SIRTF), to be launched into solar orbit in January. Liquid helium cooled detectors. I think I can guarantee that the ARC-AAA will not operate if dropped in liquid helium.

Status
Not open for further replies.