Surefire L1 + KL1 question

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

Would a Surefire KL1 head fit on a Surefire L1 body??

Thanks!

Ray

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
The KL1 head does not fit on the L1 body. The assembly in the head is different and they are not compatible. The L1 head will however fit on a E1L body but will only turn on to the low setting.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that is entirely correct. The KL1 will FIT on a L1 body. It should have the same threads. The issue comes from the fact that the L1 body contains the electronics and the L1 head is dumb (just has the emitter wired to the contacts). So if you have a L1 body connected to a KL1, it will try to supply the voltage the KL1 needs (which is 2.4-9.0V??) because it is expecting to supply the Vf of the LED.

So it would probably work, but might harm something. I don't have a L1 to try it with, and don't know if I would do it if I had one. Now, if you had a L1 body, and a stripped out KL1 head with no electronics (which I happen to have ;)) it should work fine.

I keep considering getting an old L1, but don't really have a need for it so I haven't done it yet.

schiesz

T4R06

Enlightened
if you put the KL1 on L1 body it will fit but you cannot screw all the way down to the L1 body. so it will the light up the KL1. they have the same thread but they are different module under the head of L1 and KL1.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daylo said:
The KL1 head does not fit on the L1 body. The assembly in the head is different and they are not compatible.
True. Tried it. Threads on about a half thread then stops. Nothing works.
Daylo said:
The L1 head will however fit on a E1L body but will only turn on to the low setting.
False! This results in direct driving the LED as there are no longer any electronics involved (L1 brains are in the L1 body), so this runs at about normal L1 high level with a CR123 and very bright with RCR123!
This setup with old style L1 head is a very small, nice looking, well performing light with a nice countour and fit in the hand. It can also use a McGizmo McE2S two stage switche to become a mini-L1. Fantastic setup. One of my L1s was bought with this in mind and is one of my favorite lights.

Last edited: