CPF Fieldtesting of new ARC Product

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Peter,

This may be a dumb and even stupid idea but I've never let that stop me in the past. I think it is a smart move having some CPF'ers try out the new BU tail switch. I have one coming.

I recall an efficiency expert visiting you and as a result, the colored LS's were taken out of the production cycles. (little ground work here; I'll try to get to the point) I also know that you are a smalll company and are in a position to respond quickly to changing technologies and bring new product to market. THis is of course predicated on your abillity to get the necessary components for your product; certain LED's come to mind.

Initiallly, I believe you had planned on phasing from the LS2 to LS3 in a rather accelerated fashion. An oops on the Luxeon 5W white seems to have forced a change in this time line.

What do you think about putting a few of your LS3's out into CPF'ers hands for some field testing of the design now so you have a jump on any possible refinements that may result? There are RB and Cyan 5W's available currently which could be used for pre-production LS3 units.

Further, I suspect that you could sell some of these colored lights to CPF members who are interested in being in on the front edge of developement and/or would like to have a colored 5W on its own merits.

If it weren't for Arc, I don't think there would be many colored 1W flashlights out there. I have not heard of any plans for 5W colored flashlights to be offered by any company either. I suspect that there is a small but real demand for just such lights and if you should offer a limited run, the demand for these lights could be met and Arc will be in a position to stay on the leading edge of the developement curve.

If you build it, we will buy it? Everyone benefits?

Just an idea, time and comments will tell what kind of an idea it is..................

Besides, if Merri has been buging you for a 5W RB, do you think she is alone in her desire?

- Don

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a great idea...and I`m even willing to help test one...for free!

Act now to take advantage of this limited time offer...a $120 value!
smile.gif

Ken

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I value your suggestion Don. I think you know your stuff.

The colored emitters are easier to get. And, I would be using them to test the LS3 system if the rest of the components where ready. But when we heard the whites where going to be delayed, we refocused our manufacturing on LS1 and LS2. As a result, we won't have the LS3 parts (mostly the circuit board) ready for another month or so.

I like you idea of a preview LS3. But in white.

If I do get white emitters in and if the pcb parts are ready to go early (which will probally be the case), then I will probally release a LS3 preview. It will be even smaller numbers than the tail switch preview. Of course the price is a bit higher (!) so they might last longer.

Peter

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Peter,

Thanks for the comments and understood. Let's all hope the whites get out soon! :)

- Don

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the all the LS3 parts save the emitters are ready and the emitters have still not shown up, we will rush order some colors so you can guys can preview the LS3 system.

Peter

dark star

Enlightened
Please, Please a cyan ( or at least a green, or any color for that matter ). Beg .. Beg .. Wimper .. Wimper. And I would use it alot in the field, hiking, etc.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter...

After Dark Star gets his 5W Cyan, please put me down for at least six of them.

Thank you!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Again, I would probably buy any product produced by Arc, but would be especially enthusiastic about a 5W Royal Blue
wink.gif
It would be an honor to test them and to contribute to the ongoing development of such a fine product. Now... If only I could get in on one of these deals when it's offered. Seems that I find the "limited availability" posts just a little too late.
mad.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you know we use the stock optic so the colored 5W have this grill pattern in the beam. The way Don got a smoother dot was to move the beam out. This is not needed in the white so the housing does not have this provision.

Still quite fun to play with though...

Peter

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Peter,

Good point about the grill pattern. It is certainly less than an ideal beam. I noticed that the SF beam shaper yields an excellent blend of the light but does widen the beam considerably. In the case of the RB, I think a flood is more effective anyway. Hummmm

Status
Not open for further replies.