2x18650 Cree gift light

Daekar

Enlightened
My father has been using an ancient incandescent flashlight to walk the dog at night, and more recently he picked up a SF G2 and I believe he's been using that too. I'd like to get him a 2x18650 or 2x18500 Cree light to replace that... I guess what I'm looking for is something that's neither total flood nor total throw (but erring on the side of flood), that's going to have a high/low setting, and that puts out 120+ lumens on high. The reason for the second battery is for runtime, so 18650s are preferred. I found this:

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/cree-2x186502x18500-power-p-625.html

...but know nothing about it... it looks like a throw light to me...? Imagine that light with a middle of the road head, that's something like what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For a lower price, I would say go for something on Dealextreme(seems to be down right now) or Kaidomain, similar products for cheaper.

The light you posted seems to be a throw light due to the larger reflector. Kaidomain has the light for $37, not sure about Dealextreme. Single mode. The EastwardYJ U2 18650 Cree has a good beam and two modes but there is no Thermal paste between the emitter and the heatsink so using the light for a long time might damage the emitter.

Or go all out and get a Lumapower M1 ($90 for the whole set, Review, 4 hour runtime on high, 26 on low, Review)(seller) with the Orange Peel reflector, still lots of throw but the side-spill should be sufficent. Or the HuntLight FT-01XSE Cree(review)(seller). Many modes and middle of the line between throw and flood. Both are much more expensive but quality is very good. Both can use a single 18650 or 2 CR123 batteries.

Last edited:

Daekar

Enlightened
Gunner -

I'm glad it wasn't just me having trouble getting through to Dealextreme, I thought my ISP was being stupid again. I've already got an M1, and I really like it, but I'd rather have the 2x18650 configuration because of the extra runtime. I'd like my Dad to be able to use the high setting all quite a bit for a few nights in a row before needing a recharge... He's in his 60s, and although he's pretty tech-savvy (he loves the Surefire light he has) I don't want him to have to mess with anything more complex than necessary. He won't have a problem charging the batteries, but if I know him, he won't use the light as much if he needs to charge it more often. Maybe I should just wait for the Lumapower DX1-RV to come out (and the accompanying OP reflector) and then put a diffusor lens on it...?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/162470

I got it at Kai Domain for $36.88 shipped.

dereelight028smallgw6.jpg