Questions on ARC LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,

yesterday I bought a ARC LS (first run , No. 1373)
from a german dealer (he brought them directly from U.S.). He only had 15 ARC LS available, so I guess there are just 15 ARC LS to be found in germany at present. The light (Lithium 123) cost me 130 Euro including battery. There was no blister, just a transperent zip-bag.
I was told that the ARC LS is still kind of experimental. Does "First Run #1373" mean that I
have one of the first ever manufactured ? Whats's the difference between "first run " and "second run " ?
I totally fascinated by this amazing light. Tiny
and bright like the sun.
What do you think of this light ? Is there any better LED light available ? Is a 25 hour runtime
realistic on lithium 123 battery and is it as tough as it looks ?

Kaneda

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 hours bright light on lithium AA is more like it. Plus several hours on moon mode (dim and dimmer). Longest runtime is on Lithium AA and shortest is on CR123, with Alkaline AA in between. It is drawing 350 - 400 MA from the battery(ies), which is right up there with incandescent bulbs. If you got a hybrid, it is drawing 500 MA.

I wouldn't call it experimental. Production is not yet stable due to problems on Arc's supply end. Lumiled, the manufacturer of the Luxeon Star has had phosphor problems.

Eventually the Arc LS will be fully transitioned to the LS2 model, which is the final version of Arc's 1 watt Luxeon flashlight. The LS3 will be the 5 watt Luxeon Star. I hope Arc keeps the 1 watt on the market.

Meanwhile, cherish the one you were lucky enough to get. Don't dunk it in water, as I don't think it has the waterproofing problem solved, yet.

Welcome to a very select group (Arc LS owners).
grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL,

all those with >2000 member numbers thinking they are the first and only ones with ARC LS and on CPF
grin.gif

Klaus

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
Moin Klaus,

wie lange hast Du schon eine ARC LS ? Und woher ?
okay, back to english. Byron Walter, do you really
think the ARC LS gives only 2 1/2 hours of bright
light on Lithium 123's ? I have to admit that I expected a much longer runtime. I have to sacrifice a battery in order to find out.
Anyway, it's a great light.

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
Charles,
yes, I am very happy to have an ARC LS first run
(#1373).
You wrote thet the ARC LS gives 6 hours very bright light on Lithium AA's. Do you know the
runtime for CR123 ? It seems that the Inova X5
runs much longer than the ARC LS.

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Kaneda,

A friend has the x5t and it is a great little light but not nearly as bright as my Arc LS and that's when the x5 has new batteries. Remember that from that point on the x5 will gradually dim over time whereas the Arc will not dim noticably. But for the $'s, you can't beat the x5t

BTW, you should get roughly 2 1/2 hours at full brightness from the Arc with 123's. This is pretty much a guess (struggling to recall what others have posted), since I haven't actually timed mine.

Byron

(best wishes to Craig & family)

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be the result of running one 3.6v AA lithium battery in the single AA tube?

But when you are talking about long run time (and brightness), you were talking about the 1.5v Lithium, in the 2AA tube?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what the under load voltage is. Lithium AA in pair (series) has an under load voltage just at the high end of the Arc LS.

The X5 uses 5 standard nichia LEDS, which draw much less current than a Luxeon Star. The Arc LS with 2AA is brighter than my Lightwave 4000 (10 nichia LEDs).

Byron, nice to see someone else in here from Ohio.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Gruess Gott Kaneda

good to see another German on Cpf. Yes you can consider youself lucky to have obtained a Ls in Germany. The difference between first`s and second`s is very slim and the price of the seconds rules.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.