I'm an idiot. Where would I get new handles for my Griptilian?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
*sigh* Dropped my brand new Limited Edition Griptilian out in the parking lot today. Put a nice gash in end of handle on one side. Like and idiot, I thought if I used a lighter I could melt it back into shape. Dumb. Now it REALLY looks like crap. The blade is fine and works the same, but thats' not the point. The thing is only a few days old and a Limited Edition. Is there anywhere besides benchmade I can get new gray handles?

carrot

Flashaholic
Don't know about new stock handles, but I believe some custom knifemakers may be willing to make new scales for it, probably at a high price due to the difficulty of working around the nested liners...

cutlerylover

Banned
Hmmm thats a tough one...if it was just busted from dropping it Benhcmade would have given you a new set of ahndles for it, or replaced what they could with whats in stock for free...but since you melted them yhere is a good chance that you voided the warranty...And a custom set will cost you big time $$$...Im not sure what to suggest in this situation other than emailing Benchamde and askign what they can do for you?

Just out of curiosity could you post a pic or 2?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's different about this limited edition? Is it the blade etc or are the handles different? Talk to the guys on the Benchmade forum and they can probably suggest something - haven't been there myself in quite a while.

knifebright

Enlightened
are the handles G-10?? can you post a picture as depending on what you've removed you may be able to fix it with a little artful g-10 grooving. here is a pic of my

EBLS that got a little grooving on last weekend
IMG_1484.jpg

Jimmy

dtsoll

Enlightened
KDog,
did you make the call to benchmade yet? I think I called them on new scales for a mini grip I had and If I remember correctly they wouldn't just send out scales. I was told to ship it in and they would fix it. At that time I believe it was 35 bucks for new scales. I just sent a 921 to them for a non centered blade and inquired about new scales on it, 75 smackaroos, of course I declined on them. Anyway, I hope it works out for you, sorry for your mishap!! Doug:)

CLHC

Flashaholic
May wish to find out about the turnaround time from Benchmade since I heard it can be quite some time before one gets it back. I called for a trivial fix on my BM635, they told me 8~10 weeks! I declined and just lived with it.

Enjoy!

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent my mini grip out as soon as I bought it because I wanted OD green handles on a plain blade...something they only offer with combo blades. They were more than happy to swap them for me with a nominal fee. I'll say this, the total price for the knife and new scales ended up being a little less than I could get one at my local knife shop. Took about a month, maybe 1.5.

I do know that alot of guys that make custom scales hate the inner workings of the griptillian series. Gotta CNC out the pockets for the metal liners and such.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
Knifeworks is selling off a bunch of Grips for not too much. some in the 40-50 dollar range.... Why do you need to fix it? why not just live with it?

cutlerylover

Banned
If it bothers you that much I woudl sell it cheap and use the money to buy a new one...There are plenty of people out there that would buy it despite what the handles might look like...Depending on the price of course...