Momentary Switch Mod for MagC Switch - Will This Work?

lexina

Enlightened
I have been trying to figure out how to make my MagC switch momentary so that I can run a D2Dim or a bflex. There's an excellent guide here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/90912

but it only covers the MagD switch.

I didn't have to do the first part (i.e. removing the ribs so that the switch doesn't catch) because I actually had a malfunctioning switch which was already momentary (and which I nearly threw away because of that...lol).

What I need advice on is the wiring between the switch and the bflex. I have drilled 4 holes and inserted 2 wires as shown in the photo below:

This is what I plan to do:-

1. solder the red (wire 1) and the black (wire 2) wires to the bottom contact place where the positive of the cell touches [Edit: this is incorrect - please see posts below]

2. solder a wire (wire 3) to the top contact plate

3. solder a wire (wire 4) to the negative ground strap

4. solder wire 1 to the IN+ of the bflex

5. solder solder wire 4 to the In- of the bflex

6. solder wires 2 and 3 to SWA and SWB of the bflex (Advice needed: does it matter which goes to which?)

7. solder wires from the bflex to the led.

Is my wiring correct and will the above work? The D switch mod had some cutting of the switch contact plates - I am not sure if that would be required here.

Thanks for any help,
lexina

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to isolate the switch part from the power path. Have a look at this post and see if it helps any. Sorry it's a little short on info but you are correct it's the same principal as the modified D switch the parts are just a little different.

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
Wow, that's exactly the info I needed! Wish I had found the thread earlier instead of cracking my head. Thanks a lot, Sway - you're da man! Looks like I just need to isolate the battery contact plate at the bottom of the switch and solder one wire to the battery contact plate and the other wire to the cut-off portion within the switch instead of soldering both wires to the contact plate.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, see how the positive battery contact on the back of the switch no longer makes contact with the inner switch parts, your just turning them into a momentary 'ON' switch.

DSC00319.jpg

The pink wire goes to the + positive in on the b/nFlex board and the two yellow wires go the SWA and SWB contacts in no specific order, either way will work. Then solder one wire to the switch anchor screw part at the bottom of the switch and that goes to the – negative in and you should be good to go.

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
Thanks, Sway.

Btw, the reason my switch wasn't catching and was acting as a momentary was because one of the ribs on the half of the casing that holds the negative strip had broken off. You may be able to see it here (sorry for the crappy photo). It's the rib at the 6 o'clock position:-

Perhaps, this could be an alternative to cutting the ribs off the inner plastic parts.

Cheers,
lexina