Uniqe Titanium

Thread: Police scanners.

Default Police scanners.

I would like to buy a police/fire scanner. I am looking at this one http://www.scannermaster.com/BC95XLT.../10-501105.htm and this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search right now. Are they any good? I don't want to go over $200 unless its necessary. $150 or below would be better.
    Last edited by scubasteve1942; 04-29-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Default Re: Police scanners.

Also what should I be looking for in regards to frequencies and channels. Im guessing more is better. Is 200 channels and frequencies 25-54,108-174,406-512,806-956 enough. thanks

What county/systems are you trying to scan?
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Pinellas county police, fire/EMS. I belive we are on a Motorola Type II SmartZone system so the radioshack one will probably be better because it has trunking, right?
    Last edited by scubasteve1942; 04-29-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Been out of this a long time now, but try going about it backwards: Find the freqs used in you're area, and the amount of them, then double it, you will find more. Now find a scanner that covers that band well. Get in with some ham guys, they really know what works best, weather spotters are good information as well. I am pretty sure all major municipalities have gone trunked now, and if you are looking to hear EMS and county/city sheriffs, you'd better plan on a trunk tracke type. But do get the freq list first, then match the scanner to them.
    My Mags aren't very impressive anymore!

Find out first if anybody locally is using digital frequencies - if so, then the scanners you list won't be able to pick them up. Sooner or later everybody will go digital, but until then you're kinda in a funky place..
    I love my Al-PD

I searched the database at radioreference.com and this is what I got. http://www.radioreference.com/module...ame=RR&sid=270 . For system voice it says analog and APCO-25 common air interface. So I guess I have to get something digital like the radioshack pro-96
    Last edited by scubasteve1942; 04-29-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Get a Uniden BCD 396T. It has Military Air (McDill), and Close call, which automatically picks up nearby signals. Only thing that sucks is its $500.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Yep. It looks like im going to have to save up for one (as im looking around my room for things to sell ). Thats probably going to take awhile, but maby they will come down in price by then.
    Last edited by scubasteve1942; 04-29-2007 at 04:57 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan
    Get a Uniden BCD 396T. It has Military Air (McDill), and Close call, which automatically picks up nearby signals. Only thing that sucks is its $500.
    I use the BCD 396T and Uniden BC796D at work all day long, and they are both great. At the desk, we have 16 BCD796D, all setup with smaller groups and they are indespensible!

I have the radio shack version of that bearcat (pro 83). I bought it when they closed them out. It is hard on the batteries since it's only 2AA but I use rechargables so it's not a real problem. It is a nice scanner.

Flashaholic

I've had the Radio Shack Pro-97 for some time and would recommend it -- unless you have digital systems you want to listen to. The PRO-96 is digital but not nearly the same updated technology as the Uniden BCD396T, which is going to be my next purchase because some of the counties around me are moving to digital.

Yea. My county is digital so im going to have to get the Uniden BCD 396T aswell.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF
    I use the BCD 396T and Uniden BC796D at work all day long, and they are both great. At the desk, we have 16 BCD796D, all setup with smaller groups and they are indespensible!
    I also have a BCD 396T.
    Havent been nice to it but have not abused it either. Have had no trouble with it at all.

One thing you may want to do before hand is download the demos (or free for the Uniden UASD program) of some programing software. Give them a test run and find one you like. Computer programing the radio is sooo much easier than using the key pad on the radio.
    Last edited by Fizz753; 04-30-2007 at 02:34 PM.

Banned

I think the non US version of Xplorer would be fun to have

This video sweeper would be fun as well.

Some of the older uniden or radio shack scanners are fun to modify. An easy "cut the brown wire" (or was it gray?) mod for some which will give you blocked frequencies.
    Last edited by knot; 04-30-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Flashaholic*

I also have a Yaesu VX-7R that I updated from a VX-5R

Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    I've had the Radio Shack Pro-97 for some time and would recommend it.
    I second this. Very good analog scanner. Theres a great yahoo group for it too. Radio Shack has sales on it all the time.