Police scanners.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Also what should I be looking for in regards to frequencies and channels. Im guessing more is better. Is 200 channels and frequencies 25-54,108-174,406-512,806-956 enough. thanks

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Pinellas county police, fire/EMS. I belive we are on a Motorola Type II SmartZone system so the radioshack one will probably be better because it has trunking, right?

Last edited:

sawlight

Enlightened
Been out of this a long time now, but try going about it backwards: Find the freqs used in you're area, and the amount of them, then double it, you will find more. Now find a scanner that covers that band well. Get in with some ham guys, they really know what works best, weather spotters are good information as well. I am pretty sure all major municipalities have gone trunked now, and if you are looking to hear EMS and county/city sheriffs, you'd better plan on a trunk tracke type. But do get the freq list first, then match the scanner to them.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find out first if anybody locally is using digital frequencies - if so, then the scanners you list won't be able to pick them up. Sooner or later everybody will go digital, but until then you're kinda in a funky place..

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Get a Uniden BCD 396T. It has Military Air (McDill), and Close call, which automatically picks up nearby signals. Only thing that sucks is its $500. :ohgeez:

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Yep. It looks like im going to have to save up for one (as im looking around my room for things to sell :lolsign: ). Thats probably going to take awhile, but maby they will come down in price by then. :grin2:

Last edited:

MikeF

Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:
Get a Uniden BCD 396T. It has Military Air (McDill), and Close call, which automatically picks up nearby signals. Only thing that sucks is its $500. :ohgeez:

I use the BCD 396T and Uniden BC796D at work all day long, and they are both great. At the desk, we have 16 BCD796D, all setup with smaller groups and they are indespensible!

gorn

Enlightened
I have the radio shack version of that bearcat (pro 83). I bought it when they closed them out. It is hard on the batteries since it's only 2AA but I use rechargables so it's not a real problem. It is a nice scanner.

alberto

Enlightened
I've had the Radio Shack Pro-97 for some time and would recommend it -- unless you have digital systems you want to listen to. The PRO-96 is digital but not nearly the same updated technology as the Uniden BCD396T, which is going to be my next purchase because some of the counties around me are moving to digital.

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
MikeF said:
I use the BCD 396T and Uniden BC796D at work all day long, and they are both great. At the desk, we have 16 BCD796D, all setup with smaller groups and they are indespensible!

I also have a BCD 396T.
Havent been nice to it but have not abused it either. Have had no trouble with it at all.

One thing you may want to do before hand is download the demos (or free for the Uniden UASD program) of some programing software. Give them a test run and find one you like. Computer programing the radio is sooo much easier than using the key pad on the radio.

Last edited:

knot

Banned
I think the non US version of Xplorer would be fun to have

This video sweeper would be fun as well.

Some of the older uniden or radio shack scanners are fun to modify. An easy "cut the brown wire" (or was it gray?) mod for some which will give you blocked frequencies.

Last edited: