Switch Basics

Daekar

Enlightened
I'm in the process of "brainstorming" a new light design but among other places where I don't have enough information to continue, the issue of the on/off switch plagues me the worst. I don't want anything complicated at all - a simple off/hi/lo or off/low/hi clicky (whichever is easier/cheaper/popular). I'm planning on running 3 D26-compatible LED dropins or P60/P61 (they will have the regulators attached to each for LEDs and no low-mode for bulbs) @ 3.7/6v on 3x18650/6x123a and possibly @ 9v w/9x123a - this is a series/parallel setup, of course. Obviously the emitters might have to change with the battery configuration if their regulation circuitry didn't cooperate. But... well I have a few questions:

1) For maximum efficiency, I don't want to use resistors if possible. How would I go about finding an electronic switch that would allow high/low/off settings?

2) Lets say I setup high mode to be straight through from the batteries and I want low mode to be... 150mA. Can I even do that, with the LED modules regulated as they are?

3) If it's not possible with a clicky-type switch, how else could I obtain this result? I really like the off/low/hi clicky on my Lumapower M3 with the medium/high adjusted on the pill, but I have no idea how it works. Is it possible to do just on/off clicky and low/high in a pill twist?

4) If all this low/hi stuff is a bunch of impossible with drop-in regulated emitters, I'm completely fine with dropping the low/hi altogether. However, since this light is partially floating around in my brain as an offering for sale on CPF, I'd like to know if anyone would even be interested in a triple P60-style light if it didn't have a low setting...?