Eneloop's in Dig Camera

BGater

Enlightened
Just bought a new Canon S3 IS and 4gb memory card :rock: . Was wondering if anyone has used these in a camera and how they hold up in runtime compared to a flashlight ? Looked at the Hybrio's at 2100mAh, but read some bad reports. If the Eneloops dont have good run time I can always use them in my lights. I ordered 8 from Thomas Dist.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
should work great.
4X ni-mhy, so it wouldnt have the problems that SOME 2x1.5V cameras have had , because of a higher total voltage potential, they can regulate easier.
designed FOR ni-mhy cells, and these enloops or hybri things work almost exactally like ni-mhys.

oops, i edited the other stuff out.

Last edited:

coppertrail

Enlightened
I use eneloop cells in my Canon PowerShot 620 (4 AA) and they work great.

BGater

Enlightened
Cool, thanks. I got to thinking AFTER I ordered the batts about how well they may or may not work. Cant wait to get this camera......should be able to do some decent beamshots. I have a Minolta Z1 and have had nothing but trouble with it. Minolta's warranty service is a joke. Camera was brand new, cost me $180 to get it back from them.

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
I'm using the eneloops in a Sony camera. They do not last as long as FRESHLY charged Sanyo 2700's. However, I like the advantage of being able to carry spare eneloops in my camera bag and not having to worry about them self discharging.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I'd keep a spare, charged set of eneloop cells in your camera case/bag for those days in which you'll be taking alot of shots. I use 2700 mAh Powerex cells when I'm on vacation, and a spare set of eneloops.

Use eneloops if you'll use the camera once in a while.
Use 2500mAh batteries if you're going to charge them, then try to get as many shot as possible in a day or two.

Sonus

Newly Enlightened
I have a Canon S2 IS and with Eneloops I got 400 shots - a lot of them with the flash. I never got more than 350 shots and that was with 2500MAH Duracells and 2500MAH Mercurys. I would highly recommend the Eneloops, as a matter of fact I bought several more sets.

BGater

Enlightened
My cameras usually sit for weeks at a time, then all of a sudden we grab it and go and snap 100 pics. New camera, might as well have fancy new batteries.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
CandleLite said:
Have been using Eneloops in my Canon S3 for 6 months or so with no problems at all. Certainly holds a charge longer when you store your camera than NiMH.

I've been using Eneloops in my older Canon A510 for several months. I agree they hold a charge much longer than NiMh.

BGater

Enlightened
Hey CandleLite, how do you like the S3.....any problems ? Mine should be here Thursday from NewEgg. I looked at a Sony (forget the model), was like 7.1 mp. Had most of the S3 stuff but only 2 batts. I did like the Sony 3" screen and I think its viewfinder was through the lens. Just read to many good reviews on the Canon to pass it up.

CandleLite

Newly Enlightened
BGater said:
Hey CandleLite, how do you like the S3.....any problems ? Mine should be here Thursday from NewEgg. I looked at a Sony (forget the model), was like 7.1 mp. Had most of the S3 stuff but only 2 batts. I did like the Sony 3" screen and I think its viewfinder was through the lens. Just read to many good reviews on the Canon to pass it up.

Great Camera. My third digital and each had more convenience and features than the previous.

The S3 doesn't have a large screen but the fact that it articulates to many angles more than compensates. That, along with the 12x zoom makes it very versatile and interesting to use. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I like mine. Great picture quality, amazing zoom.

Downside:
Automatic long exposure performance is inferior to my Panasonic pocket camera. This camera can only adjust for auto exposure up to 2 seconds while my Panasonic can do up to 8.

Super-macro: Don't expect the 0-5cm range to be too useful. The camera would actually focus on the dust/finger print on the lens or inevitable dust that accumulates behind the lens.

barkingmad

Enlightened
When I tested some high capacity NiMH 2500-2700mah batteries and both Eneloop and Hybrio (LSD) in a MH-C9000 charger / analyser I found the 'stated' capacity of the 2500-2700mah cells to be significantly (10-15%+) higher than the 'actual' tested values!

However, the stated and actual were very close on the Eneloop / Hybrio cells (less than 3%).

Basically higher capacity cells may be slightly higher capacity if you use them very soon after taking off the charger - but leave them a day or two or perhaps a week and the higher capacity cells will probably be actually lower.

digitor

Newly Enlightened
sandbasser said:
I've been using Eneloops in my older Canon A510 for several months. I agree they hold a charge much longer than NiMh.

I'm not singling you out sandbasser, but I've seen this statement repeated several times about Eneloops being "better than Ni-MH" in terms of holding a charge.

The fact is, Eneloops ARE Ni-MH! They just use a slightly different construction to minimise self-discharge, which has the side-effect of limiting their capacity slightly.

Consequently, Eneloops can be charged on any charger which is designed for Ni-MH cells - which seems to be a question that crops up regularly - maybe because some think they are not Ni-MH cells?

Cheers

Due to manufacturing tolerance, your S3 IS might not work with 2700mAh batteries. Mine barely works, but I have to turn them around, swap cells around to get them to fit. The battery compartment is VERY tight.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
digitor said:
I'm not singling you out sandbasser, but I've seen this statement repeated several times about Eneloops being "better than Ni-MH" in terms of holding a charge.

The fact is, Eneloops ARE Ni-MH! They just use a slightly different construction to minimise self-discharge, which has the side-effect of limiting their capacity slightly.

Consequently, Eneloops can be charged on any charger which is designed for Ni-MH cells - which seems to be a question that crops up regularly - maybe because some think they are not Ni-MH cells?

Cheers

Point taken... I know that Eneloops are NiMH. I should have said "standard NiMH". Thanks for catching this oversight.

Regards,

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
These may finally be able to convince a friend to use rechargeables in her HP (2aa) digicam. Right now she's using e2 Lithiums since it may get used once a month, or two months, and should work straight away.

Then again, maybe the Li primaries are best for that kind of usage. She'd probably never take more than 50 shots per session.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had given up on rechargeables after trying some 2500mAh and they wouldn't last more than a couple hundred pictures so I switched to Lithium and we could run 500 or so pictures.
I tried out some Eneloop's recently and am happy with them, they work how NiMH should have from the start before the manufacturers started the mAh war at any cost. Its like those cars that get 400hp from a little v6 engine then you find out that they have to have multiple belts and cams and premium gas to do it.
Just bought my wife a Canon S3 IS and ran over to HHGreg and they still had the 4 packs of AA's for $7.99 so she has two sets now.