Yellow LED Light?

fleegs

Enlightened
Hello. Does anyone know of a high quality yellow LED flashlight? I have a paklight with yellow LEDs and want to find a higher quality light.

The reason I ask. I was in the back yard a few days ago at night. I needed to use a headlamp or flashlight to see. I first tried the headlamp. My face was attacked by bugs. I then tried a flashlight and was still attacked by bugs. So I remembered that I had the yellow LED paklight that was rated not to attrack bugs. It worked great. I was able to see but not get attacked by bugs. So now I am on the quest for something brighter and better in yellow LED form.

Any modders up to the challenge? I guess I am shooting for around 30 lumens. Is that possible in yellow light? Multiple levels would be my choice.

Thanks,
rob

Last edited:

afraidofdark

Enlightened

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I saw something from Lumaray the other day. A yellow 2 or 3 C cell light with yellow leds to cut through fog. It was either their fl6 or fl12 model. Kind of sci-fi looking lights, you can see a review at Flashlight reviews of their white led models (6 or 12 5mm leds). Hope that helps.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's about a yellow lens-cover like the ones for the MiniMags, fits many other lights too?

Best regards

____
Tom

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> Pentagon S2 Gold Light
> http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.357

That's tempting. Page says the full light isn't currently for sale, but it's available as an extra head.
Multi-LED Specialty Light Conversion Head - Gold sku: KH_S2_533 $69
12 amber and 7 yellow LED

Anyone know if the threads match anything else that would hold six volts of power supply?

Yellow and amber both take the same voltage and resistor, for a given power supply voltage, I think? If so bundling up this mix wouldn't be all that hard to do

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twenty of these ought to make up several lights (I"m armwaving here, it's beyond my competence at this point, just looking)

http://catalog.digikey.com/scripts/partsearch.dll?Detail?name=441-1090-ND

I'd buy one or two, if anyone's interested in building that kind of thing.

Has anyone thought of building light heads that could be used several ways --- clips to put on caps or hung up or attached to battery tubes, so they could be used with a variety of different power supplies for different purposes?

I could see a headband-type light ---with big fanfold cooling fins attached (grin), like the old metal fanfold flashbulb attachments for film cameras that would collapse down to a small size and open out into a big reflective bowl.

Last edited:

fleegs

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info.

I ordered the Lux drop in that afraidofdark posted. Let's hope it works.

The pentagon lights look cool. I wish the one was available. But I can't tell if you have to use both colors at once or if one can be selected at a time. I can't tell how they are using the term amber. Orange or yellow? It appears to be both. FR site states the diamond drop in amber is orange. I guess 590nm...610nm what's the difference. Call it amber.

Again, thanks everyone for your help. I will let you know how the Lux drop in is when I get it.

rob

fleegs

Enlightened
So amber is orange. And when site lists the wavelength there is no guarentee that it is accurate. I found the color (in terms of wavelength) varies greatly depending on where you look. I have seen yellow go from 570 through 610.

Anyone know what yellow really is? Does it depend on something other than just wavelength?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way the Terralux amber LED is pretty neat. Although its orange. I am still on the hunt for a yellow luxeon type LED in yellow. Looking for a light in the minimag size. May later bump to C or D if needed.

Thanks,
rob

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
woodrow said:
I believe I saw something from Lumaray the other day. A yellow 2 or 3 C cell light with yellow leds to cut through fog. It was either their fl6 or fl12 model. Kind of sci-fi looking lights, you can see a review at Flashlight reviews of their white led models (6 or 12 5mm leds). Hope that helps.
LumaRay does have two yellow LED flashlights available.
FL6 Fog
FL12RX Fog
Both the 6 and 12 LED models are available in this color.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the same issues with businesses describing anything between red and green as being "yellow" or "orange" or "amber" regardless --- and never gotten a satisfactory response, mostly because the word "nanometer" doesn't seem to mean anything to the people selling them (grin).

I wondered about the Terralux -- I recall they sell both a red-orange and an amber, I wonder. I did not find those at the LEDMuseum, so ....

All I can say is --- if they've sent one to Craig at LEDMuseum, I'll believe his info about it.

Part of what he tells us is, the name doesn't mean all that much, it depends on your frame of reference. Left hand frame uses this breakdown:

625-640nm Orange-Red Spectrographic analysis performed
615-625nm Orange
600-615nm Amber Spectrographic analysis performedUpdated
585-600nm Yellow Spectrographic analysis performedUpdated

Right hand frame uses this breakdown:
YELLOW 585-595nm
AMBER 595-605nm
ORANGE 605-620nm
ORANGISH-RED 620-635nm

And both of them are right! because the color name is an opinion.
The wavelength is a fact.

"Everyone is entitled to choose their own opinion, but not to choose their own facts."

If they haven't sent the product to the LEDMuseum, then, why haven't they?

You might want to watch the Sandwich Shoppe pages; amber Luxeons come and go fast; there's a "pick your parts" option for getting a dropin built. It takes studying up on the codes for the Luxeons to identify the wavelength and brightness and voltage. And pick what driver/board. It's an education (grin).

I've had several of the earlier white ones ('Badboy' and 'Madmax') with white LEDs that are still in regular household use in in M@g 2xAa lights and am still very happy with them.

The brightness of any of these driver board dropins holds up longer rather than tapering off like the Terralux. You'll find lots of threads and discussion here going back more years than I've been around the site.

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/ will get you started there if you don't know that already.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
On the nasa site http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/EDDOCS/Wavelengths_for_Colors.html
they show yellow at 570nm, orange at 590, red at 650. Probably anything above 570 is going to work fine.
I found an article where they say "In recent years, the sensitivity of insects to different wavelengths of light has been the subject of extensive research: many modern exterminator units now produce both ultraviolet and green light. UV-A only attracts insects while they are in flight. When resting, they are attracted instead to green light."

Canuke

Enlightened
hank said:
> Pentagon S2 Gold Light
> http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.357

That's tempting. Page says the full light isn't currently for sale, but it's available as an extra head.
Multi-LED Specialty Light Conversion Head - Gold sku: KH_S2_533 $69
12 amber and 7 yellow LED

Anyone know if the threads match anything else that would hold six volts of power supply?

Yellow and amber both take the same voltage and resistor, for a given power supply voltage, I think? If so bundling up this mix wouldn't be all that hard to do

The twelve LED's that look "yellow" in the image are phosphor-based LED's which give a lemon-yellow light; those have blue dies underneath and would expect the same voltage as do blue/white LED's.

The seven reddish-looking ones look like their plastic bulb is orange-tinted, so those may be amber or orange monochromatic LED's (the phosphor yellows have a broader band). Those would have a lower Vf.

Funny, the ad copy says "12 amber and 7 yellow", though.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> bluish white in the center with a strong yellowish-green tint

Probably worth checking the LEDmuseum for spectra for the two LEDs they may be using in that, er, gadget. I think they're both going to have a whole lot of blue, and not much real yellow!

h_nu

Enlightened
I have the "yellow" EverLED in a 2D Garrity GTech. The color is more accurately described as pumpkin. I got it because I too don't like insects around my face. I'd really like a yellow headlamp.