spotlights and airplanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
O.K for the most part I know that this is illegal.But I live sooo close to the airport and runway that there is no way around it.there r no fences and no longer a barrier of trees cuz the numb nuts cut them down.I am now less then 35 yrds away from the runway with all kinds of jets turbo props and small single engine planes coming and goin at all hours. so the question is how do I play with my toys outsude without them saying I am trying to crash there planes..they also fly over the house cuz we have not gotten along in the past few month. whay should I do now sell all my flashilight stuff or move.well hee hee you have a better chance of seeing god for me to get rid of my lights

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you turn on all your light and put them on your house roof an airplane may knock down on you LOL

DM51

Flashaholic
In that case, please post here daily. That way we'll know if you don't post, an airplane has hit your house or you've been sent to jail.

Good luck!

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who was there first though? The runway, or your house?

You unfortunately live in an area that you can't have as much freedom than others. I think you are going to have to accept it. Unless you are going to get the airport to move, you sure can't be shining your spotlights in the air, if aircraft is present. Now buzzing your house like that, if you can prove it, just ain't right. Surely you could have something done about that.

I live kind of close to Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. When I say close, I mean 10 miles. But aircraft are still not but a few thousand feet over my house by the time they reach it. I rarely am shining my spotlight into the air if I see a plane in the area. I just do not want ANY trouble with anyone. Its simply not worth it.

I imagine if you keep the light along the lower tree line, you wont have a problem as it will not look like anything more than a car headlight.

-Cameron

Gordov2

Enlightened
Just be sure not to aim your torches directly at the planes when they're at altitude. Then, when the planes are closer to you, make sure to point your torches in the exact opposite direction of the planes. That way you should be ok.

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
I will try to get video. When I say close I mean wow duck close.there used to be a acre of woods that wpuld diffuse the sound and keep them up 150 ft on approach.But now I say from the side yard to the house is less then 50 ft yep airplanes starting there approch 50 ft away.so from my understanding nobody owns the airspace so I could just point them strait up. but then my HID is brighter then there revolving light. fireworks r now out cant launch my model rockets.. I feel as if this patriot act thing should be revised..ohh and The house was there first it started as a old dirt runway in a farmers field then paved now it has lear jets and is a refuling point for the police ,air natinol ,grown 90% in the 25 yrs .I have lived with this airport for 35 yrs and never had a problem intill the woods came down.

SCblur

Enlightened
flashburn72 said:
so from my understanding nobody owns the airspace so I could just point them strait up.

Is there a control tower at the airport? If so, they do in fact control the airspace down to the surface. If there is no control tower, the airspace likely begins at either 700 or 1200 feet above ground level.

If there are enough people like yourself who are bothered by the airplanes, you can complain to the airport and the FAA and possibly get what is called a 'noise abatement procedure' to keep them from flying right over your house.

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
just dont point them toward planes or the airport and you should be fine. I cant see you having any problems if your not pointing them at the tower or a plane, but some crazy politician may use the whole "in a post 9/11 world" you shouldnt own bright lights near an airport cause that shows that you are a possible terrorist. and by bright they'd mean 3D mag(stock) or brighter :)

PS.
I am not a lawyer and I take no responsibility if you get in trouble or if a plane tries to land in your house cause they think your light is a runway light

mdocod

Flashaholic
point em around the yard and enjoy, from 50+ ft away, as long as you aren't "in the beam" a spotlight doesn't look much worse than a set of fog lights on a car. spillbeam isn't going to be a problem.

Burgess

Flashaholic
As an aside . . . .

You are now in an enviable postion to get lots of very interesting aviation photos !

Rent out yer' yard to airshow photo buffs, let's say Twenty Bucks a person. (cash only, heh heh)

Just a thought.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just shine 'em down the street. If you shine 'em at the airplanes, I think your toast. How do you get any sleep, living only 35 yards from the runway?

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
This is not directed at the OP but the noise abatement people referenced in a later post.

Am I the only one that thinks people that buy houses near airports then have issue with operations are a bit off in the head? It's like the houses right on the highways...you know there is gonna be traffic noise.

If you were there first it's different.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
sejvaar said:
This is not directed at the OP but the noise abatement people referenced in a later post.

Am I the only one that thinks people that buy houses near airports then have issue with operations are a bit off in the head? It's like the houses right on the highways...you know there is gonna be traffic noise.

But if I understand the OP, he bought a house next to a dirt road, with woods in between. Now it's a highway, and they've cut down the woods.

Use the noise abatement procedures - you may not get what you want, but they'll have to at least acknowledge your concerns.

riffraff

Enlightened
sejvaar said:

I don't know the particulars of the OP's situation, but I always found it...humorous...that folks would buy a new house out on the outskirts of suburbia (read: next to rural), and then complain of the occasional large tractor on the road, or the smell of horses or cows wafting on the wind... :ohgeez:

Learjet

Enlightened
Don't ya just hate being taken over by an increase in population and traffic? I used to live near an airport but moved to a small hobby farm. Then the city moved in and now I'm surrounded by busy roads, street lights and neighbours just about in the bedroom.

In order to retain some privacy I've planted Lilly Pillys around ther perimeter of my place to form a thick hedge. It's better than a fence. You may like to check your local nursery for suitable fast growing plants that do well in your area. My hedge is now two metres tall and growing about a metre per year. It will top out at about 4-5 metres or about 15 feet high I think it is.

prof

Enlightened
Consider moving. Stinks, but will be easier. Talk to a GOOD attorney first. Good luck (and keep your head down).

In the meantime, don't turn on any bright lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.