Al Mar S.L.B., Plain

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Also, I was thinking of maybe using this IWB? That way my cash and knife are concealed until needed (even with a wallet in a zipped up pocket I am usually pretty damn paranoid, even if I just have pocket change.)

Also, how do you think it compares to the spyder cricket (which does not have a money clip system?) I think either knives can be used the same way for money though, no? It's just the clip that is being referred to.
http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/c29p.html

Last edited:

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Secur1 said:
/me Jumps up and down shouting GET THIS GET THIS http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/bm3100.html

:p

I got it and i can safely say it's the sharpest knife i have ever handled, slim profile, so it's very pocketable for EDC and the auto mechanism is just the cherry on top :)
Hate the design, and the no clip / auto mechanism (illegal in Canada.)
I think the cricket is going to be mine :D.

Secur1

Enlightened
Oh i didn't realise that you wanted the clip, i personaly found it a nousence, since it was intended to be on my keyring anyway.
As for the design, well it's to it's own :p
The cricket is an excellent choise :)

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Sharpdogs said:
Al Mar knives have a very good reputation. If you are looking looking at knives that can serve as money clips take a look at the Spyderco Cricket and the Boker Subcom series. I have carried both the Spyderco Cricket and Subcom as money clips.

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=29&products_id=138
Thanks.. I like the cricket.
Can you possibly take a photo of the cricket with a few bills attached? I'm curious as to what it looks like.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had both the Cricket and the SLB for many years. I like both a lot, but as good as it is, the Cricket feels almost flimsy compared to the SLB. Do not take that as a slam of the Spyderco, it's just that the SLB feels like it would stand up to more heavy duty use by far.

If you are just looking for a knife to open letters, cut string, etc., either one would be a no-brainer. However, for tackling the slightly more heavy duty tasks that pop up when you do not have a larger knife (and since both of these are quite small, almost anything other than a SAK Classic is going to be bigger), the Al Mar is ideal. One of my all time favorite knives.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
chmsam said:
I have had both the Cricket and the SLB for many years. I like both a lot, but as good as it is, the Cricket feels almost flimsy compared to the SLB. Do not take that as a slam of the Spyderco, it's just that the SLB feels like it would stand up to more heavy duty use by far.

If you are just looking for a knife to open letters, cut string, etc., either one would be a no-brainer. However, for tackling the slightly more heavy duty tasks that pop up when you do not have a larger knife (and since both of these are quite small, almost anything other than a SAK Classic is going to be bigger), the Al Mar is ideal. One of my all time favorite knives.

Which works better as a money clip / feels nicer as EDC (IWB or something?)
Can you take a photo with a few bills attached? I'm just sort of curious as to what they both look like, lol.
I'll proably keep a delica / larger knife in my bag if need-be. I'm not sure if I'll even be cutting rope or anything nearly that heavy duty. Something relatively light and comfortable to carry IWB or whatever would be nice though.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are very small and would work well as a money clip. The SLB is a wee bit thicker than my Cricket, but the Cricket I have is an older one with plastic grips (IIRC Krayton) and I could be wrong but I think they only come in Stainless Steel now. The SLB is more expensive but definitely has a thicker and stronger blade. As I said before, the SLB is one of my favorite knives -- perfect for EDC.

cutlerylover

Banned
Al Mar makes nice knives, but the cricket sports VG-10 which is a nice bonus for the price...I would go with the cricket myself if thats what I was looking for...Or a cheaper option is the Boker Subcom, which alot of people use as a money clip too...It comes in a few different varieties too...

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
100% behind the SLB. Have several Al Mar knives for hunting, fishing, camping, edc, etc. Have never been let down. Worst scenario was an Auto Eagle not firing on a recent hike. Turns out the blade had wedged itself in between the aluminum scales. A quick tug on the back of the blade and I was back in business. Regarding the Ultralights and SLB: have an Eagle, Hawk, and SLB, all have been 100% reliable with excellent edge retention. Fit and finish is top notch.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
cutlerylover said:
Al Mar makes nice knives, but the cricket sports VG-10 which is a nice bonus for the price...I would go with the cricket myself if thats what I was looking for...Or a cheaper option is the Boker Subcom, which alot of people use as a money clip too...It comes in a few different varieties too...
Thinking I'll get the Subcom and the cricket, the subcom looks very thin and the width kinda seems nice for $..

Latest posts