FF3 Reflector, Can and Innards Pictures for you modders

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
After some slight strap wrench therapy , I managed to gut my FF3. Has you can c in the pictures mild use of thread lock was used , so dissasembly was a breeze. Ive never seen pictures of the FF3 innards anywhere and after reading though Pumaman's Mod tutorial I decide to post some of my own. Enjoy

1. Gutted pieces, missing lens oring and lens
10959852sx3.jpg

2. Side view of the can, notice oring (which im gonna have to replace) and threadlock compound residue.
can2ru0.jpg

3. Inside view of the can, notice the reflector huggin lip...
canel7.jpg

4. Reflector. Mine came with all the scratches in place ( anyone know where I can find a replacement??)

reflectorvo1.jpg

5. Side view of reflector.

reflectorsideye6.jpg

I hope this pics are of some use...

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Cuso for the pictures! Just what I needed. The reflector of my FF2 is missing and since it´s head was machined to fit the FF3 reflector I might not be able to use those reflectors others modded to fit their FF2.

May I use your last picture to compare your FF3 reflector with an IMS17 and the JIL reflector? And would you mind posting the diameter and depth of your reflector (if the light is still disassebmled)?

Eric

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric242 said:
Thanks Cuso for the pictures! Just what I needed. The reflector of my FF2 is missing and since it´s head was machined to fit the FF3 reflector I might not be able to use those reflectors others modded to fit their FF2.

May I use your last picture to compare your FF3 reflector with an IMS17 and the JIL reflector? And would you mind posting the diameter and depth of your reflector (if the light is still disassebmled)?

Eric
I think I have and IMS17 lying around....Ill post some pics soon. Yes use them pics if you need to.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the comparison shoots...

The IMS17 is by my cheap nondigital caliper
10.5mmTall x 17.5mm wide

FF3 reflector is
11mmTall x 17mm wide

Tried fittin the IMS17 in the FF3 but that .5mm is enough to not let it fit..Maibe you could take a little of the borders if the reflector to make it fit. Im gonna go find me an extra IMS17 cuse this one belongs to my Caribbean.

FF3 on the Left IMS17 on the right

ref3lm1.jpg

Again in another pose

reflectorsjb7.jpg

Last but not least

reflectorssidexsidevh3.jpg

Enjoy brother!!

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
good work! the reflectors on both my FFIII had scratches and smudges. the seoul khatod 17mm reflector is way too wide to fit.
if anyone comes up with a good replacement for the reflector and a seoul, I would be interested as well.
not that the original isn't fully functional.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IMS-17 will fit inside a FF. You just need a little patience and sand off the edges. Been there, done that! 2 yrs ago along with all the other oldies. The beam is great when compared against optics but not perfect.

Here's something more challenging, get a McR-XR or McR-S reflector and swap the core out to support XRE or SSC P4? Anyone interested? It's free for the first one to reply. All it'll cost you is parts (from SS) and return mailing (or you can drive by and drop off if you so choose).

It have always been my recommendation that for reflectors <16mm go with Cree XRE to take advantage of XRE's short focal length. And reflectors >18mm should go with SSC P4 or Luxeon to make full use of the reflector.

And all those in between size 16-18mm it's a tossup.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can have the freebie.

I will be paying him for many other nice, bright things anyways.

but if you do figure out a FFIII/seoul mcr-s reflector drop-in, put me down for 2.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need to find a reflector manufacturer. I'll bet an OP reflector in the same size would work fine with an XR-E. Considering it doesn't look like the FF III is going to ever get built (2nd run anyway) we have available nearly everything (goldserve's FluPic and sandwich shoppe's FF II body kits) to build our own anyway except the reflector. Should be able to get something close with a little work anyway.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried a modded McR-18 ? There are many guys capable of turing it down for you...

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pumaman passed, so GJW, you're the lucky one :D Drop by and drop off anytime.

McR-18 would not really work with the guts of a FF & XRE. It's too shallow. We need to make a new insert, doable (if I had the time). If we can generate interest for about 20 units I can drop this off at the shop and ask them to do it for us.

Here's the proposed solution for (ION/FF/FF2/FF3).
1. New integrated HS that house both converter & XRE emitter
- best way to get the 3.5W of heat out.
2. Turn down McR reflector to at least 0.530".
- could be larger but then those ION fans have to machine their head, which might be hard with a dremel :eyeroll:

When it's all done, it'll be about $60-$70.
What do you guys think?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, this is basicaly going to be a new dropin light engine with reflector or just the reflector and guts and put your own led in? Ill be interested anyway...count me in.

nightshade

Enlightened
Count me in. For two, please. I own two aluminum FF3's and one brass. If the cost can be kept under $100.00 per unit I will purchase three. :grin2: :popcorn:

Tremendo

Enlightened
Very interested in what this becomes as well. FF3 is my #1 light, but my Cree's are giving it more than a run for it's money. I do love the FF3 form factor and it's still my EDC.