New here and need some opinions...

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all. I am new to the forums here, but not exactly new to LED lights. I am also a Laser enthusiast and have 6 Lasers from Wicked Lasers. I'm also a member over at Laser Community Forum under the same screen name. I also have several LED lights, all with Luxeon LED's and need some advice on what Cree light to get. I have narrowed it down to three choices, but if anyone has any better suggestions, I would certainly welcome them. My 3 choices are a Fenix P3D Black Finish, a Dexlight Sapphire Crystal 3W 16-mode CREE, and last is a JetBeam MK.ll X Cree Pro. They are all in about the same price range and about the same brightness. I am looking for a new EDC with modes to replace what I have now which is a 1 watt, 42 lumen, River Rock. Thanks for any help you all can give me.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you have to be enlightened here before people start responding to you? 47 views and not one of them willing to help a noob...
:wtf:

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read the title of your post and I did not read any further. I feel compelled to let you know that you should leave right away if you hope to retain any control over your wallet.

I don't have any of the lights that you are inquiring about but I do have a Fenix P1D CE which is a 1 x CR123 light with the Cree. It is a well built light that is very bright and has wonderful regulation and brightness.

The beam is ringy but some people don't mind that at all.

Good luck.

-Goatee

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
I would say just start browsing some lights. Go to fenixstore, Dealextreme, Kaidomain. There are alot of small single cell lights (other than th ones mentioned in your post) with quite a bit of output out there and several modes. The jetbeam and Dexlight have alot of modes, Fenix and Jetbeam have only the most used modes. Don't know exactly what your price range is but it looks like it is sub $100 from your other lights so I would start with what I mentioned first. If you got too much money burning a whole in your pocket check out the Gatlight V3 thread, It's an amazing looking light. Certainly check out the Lumapower M3, it seems to be a pretty versitile light.

Also regarding the MKIIX, I got one from dealexteme and the HA coating is an awesome color, and it works great, creamy white beam, and the MKIIX on NIMH is about as bright as my P1 running on a LI-Ion.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
P3D is good you can check out the lumapower mrv as well or for AA batteries i like the L1d-ce for AAA the Lod-ce

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. This is a tough decision. I'd still like to hear from some people that own the 3 lights I am considering. (Fenix P3D Black Finish, Dexlight Sapphire Crystal 3W 16-mode CREE, JetBeam MK.ll X Cree Pro) Thanks.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)> said:
I read the title of your post and I did not read any further. I feel compelled to let you know that you should leave right away if you hope to retain any control over your wallet.

Good luck.

-Goatee

I've a feeling that you are right, because at this point I am leaning towards saying screw-it and purchasing all 3 of my choices just to get over the decision making process.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
like to hear from some people that own the 3 lights
Really wonder few answers? ;)

I'd opt for the Fenix --> versatility
but I dont have this model (imho the Fenix 1 and 2 AA are, what anyone not wanting CR123s in the past, has been waiting for. Some year ago the Lux III and now the Cree models)

LA OZ

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum bondr006. You are heading the right track here. I prefer CREE over Seoul. It is hard to suggest which light for you as we all have different needs. There is no light out there that can covered all grounds. If you have a few dollars to spare, I suggest you wait a little longer for the new Novatac torches. I don't recommend the Jetbeam as its switch is the worst out of all the torches I own. I have a feeling that it is going to break down much sooner than its competitors. Dexlight seems interesting though.

Luminescene

Newly Enlightened
As you say you are looking for a new EDC and your current is the River Rock, a 2xCR123 is going to be much larger. Would the P2D be better suited to ECD for you?The Fenix L1D-ce and the LOD-ce with both use the AA and AAA that your other lights use, so if you have good NiMH and charger you are all set.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can probably mod all of your lights with Seoul LEDs. Their emitting pattern is more similar to Luxeons then Crees. Someone here was selling the Coast Focusing with a Seoul.

The Dexlight is still in develepment, though it seems like it will turn out well. The Jetbeam has PWM which most people dislike but it is pretty good. The Dexlight has a circuit board similar(supposeably better) to the Jetbeam and it is cheaper. TheLEDMuseum thinks the P3D-CE's body tube is a bit thin. But the user-interface is great and simple.

I'd go for the L1D-CE since it can accept many different bodies(1AA, 2AA, CR123) or the Dexlight.

Welcome to CPF!